Elegance Coral Problems

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man sorry to see that. Looks gone for sure :( Yeah I'm not sure, I always felt like it was something they had from the getgo that just took a while to really start killing them. The only thing I have added to my tank since getting this elegance was a couple of feather dusters. No coral, fish, etc. I actually have some tentacle reemergence going on , hes a bit twisted up (He does that when I turn on the light for some reason), but he's not looking over-inflated or anything like that now. When he is more open, I can see more of the green coloration returning. tried to feed yesterday, just a little piece of mysis, but he wasn't interested in actually swallowing it. However, I turned his lights out and left for the evening, and when I came back in this morning the food was gone. Still doing daily Pimafix dosing but have not dipped in a while. There is no sign of that white tissue any more.
20180719_094019_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man sorry to see that. Looks gone for sure :( Yeah I'm not sure, I always felt like it was something they had from the getgo that just took a while to really start killing them. The only thing I have added to my tank since getting this elegance was a couple of feather dusters. No coral, fish, etc. I actually have some tentacle reemergence going on , hes a bit twisted up (He does that when I turn on the light for some reason), but he's not looking over-inflated or anything like that now. When he is more open, I can see more of the green coloration returning. tried to feed yesterday, just a little piece of mysis, but he wasn't interested in actually swallowing it. However, I turned his lights out and left for the evening, and when I came back in this morning the food was gone. Still doing daily Pimafix dosing but have not dipped in a while. There is no sign of that white tissue any more.
20180719_094019_resized.jpg
Woo-hoo! I'm so glad to hear the good news!

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have found the initial stressor in my case. Apparently some softies really negatively affect elegance. I just introduced several into my tank that I was practically given not too long before things started to not look so good. I definitely want more elegance to try. I'm also definitely not going to have them in a tank I can't monitor daily.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, @Rispa ! Here is a pic from just now. No more signs of disease in either piece. The smaller one is still in QT, just so that I can compare. I put the bigger piece back in DT yesterday, so I will compare its condition to the smaller piece over the next week or so and see if it regresses or not.

20180801_102533.jpg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, @Rispa ! Here is a pic from just now. No more signs of disease in either piece. The smaller one is still in QT, just so that I can compare. I put the bigger piece back in DT yesterday, so I will compare its condition to the smaller piece over the next week or so and see if it regresses or not.

20180801_102533.jpg
Excellent! I'm so glad to hear that. You used a combo of iodine dips and pimafix right?

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right. Who knows exactly what the disease was, but this seemed to work so far. Only time will tell though.
Yep. The one thing I didn't do was an anti-fungal. I'll rectify that in the future.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's interesting. Wh
I might have found the initial stressor in my case. Apparently some softies really negatively affect elegance. I just introduced several into my tank that I was practically given not too long before things started to not look so good. I definitely want more elegance to try. I'm also definitely not going to have them in a tank I can't monitor daily.
Oh that's interesting. Which softies may be cause for concern? I have a few also. GSP, some mushrooms, and some Kenya tree.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's interesting. Wh

Oh that's interesting. Which softies may be cause for concern? I have a few also. GSP, some mushrooms, and some Kenya tree.
I haven't found specifics, but a book by Borneman was quoted stating this The one I'm wondering about is one that calcifies at the base a little. Reef Builders I think did an article about it

Edit: here's the article about the one I'm suspicious of https://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/21/reef-building-soft-coral/

Last edited:

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like we are pretty much OK here. No new signs of disease, and it has been a few weeks in the DT. It doesn't seem to be exploding with growth by any means, but I guess these things take a lot of time. I'll update if there are any changes down the road. As I said its impossible to tell what the disease was for sure, but the Pimafix and quarantine seems to have done it. If it really was elegance coral syndrome, that certainly points to a fungal cause.

20180821_122135.jpg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like we are pretty much OK here. No new signs of disease, and it has been a few weeks in the DT. It doesn't seem to be exploding with growth by any means, but I guess these things take a lot of time. I'll update if there are any changes down the road. As I said its impossible to tell what the disease was for sure, but the Pimafix and quarantine seems to have done it. If it really was elegance coral syndrome, that certainly points to a fungal cause.

20180821_122135.jpg
I'm really glad to hear that. I hope your next post is about explosive growth :D

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really glad to hear that. I hope your next post is about explosive growth :D
Not explosive growth, but growth nonetheless. Tentacles have been reappearing, and just noticed that the purple tips are coming back on the tentacles. Mission successful. The other chunk is doing okay too, but not growing as quickly as this guy.

20181128_131700.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back