Elegance Coral Problems

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah I did misunderstand. We shall see. I'm keeping me fingers crossed and my hopes high for now.
I've got my QT going and moved my guys in there this afternoon. Light, cipro, and lugols should be arriving tomorrow. I wondered about Diflucan also or amphotericin or something antifungal. Not sure...

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about trying something less difficult to get for fungus? Anybody ever tried Pimafix? It's supposed to be reef safe, except you have to shut off your skimmer for a good amount of time. But being that this is in a QT with no skimmer, it might do something. Probably not, but who knows? I think I may try it.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get my meds in soon too. I'm planning on reading more about other meds and coral. I'll let you know if I find anything.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First dose tonight. He seems to be losing tension in his tissue and won't eat. The stress of the travel may have even killed him I'm not getting much response. I sucked some red stuff of him and there was green underneath. I don't know if I sucked up since flesh that's all, but falling off or cyano. I figure if I keep going until all the tissue is gone I can at least say I tried.

20180703_232732.jpg

Picture_20182803112814.jpg

20180703_232124.jpg

20180703_232129.jpg

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first dip today too. Will not have access to the tank until tomorrow to see if there is any change, but I can't imagine. Will post pics.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like maybe yours has perked up a bit from the earlier pics? Still trying to decide if I want to do the cipro, pimafix, or both at first. I haven't been able to find any reference of people using pimafix specifically to treat a coral. People use it in reef tanks occasionally to treat fish disease without I'll effect on their coral, though. Just a thought. I'd be happy to go the fungal route with a pharmaceutical but don't think I have access to anything like that.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like maybe yours has perked up a bit from the earlier pics? Still trying to decide if I want to do the cipro, pimafix, or both at first. I haven't been able to find any reference of people using pimafix specifically to treat a coral. People use it in reef tanks occasionally to treat fish disease without I'll effect on their coral, though. Just a thought. I'd be happy to go the fungal route with a pharmaceutical but don't think I have access to anything like that.
I look forward to seeing your decision and results. Since no indication of fungal issues have been mentioned I'm not bothering. I also don't have anything on hand and would have to buy it, so I'll see how this goes first.

I really hope it's perked up and isn't just falling apart more. Fingers crossed.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to seeing your decision and results. Since no indication of fungal issues have been mentioned I'm not bothering. I also don't have anything on hand and would have to buy it, so I'll see how this goes first.

I really hope it's perked up and isn't just falling apart more. Fingers crossed.
Any change in your guy's condition? Mine seemed about the same. I've done two dips now, and it hasn't gotten any worse at least. However when I turn the light on, he gets a little more shy and closes up a little more.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much change here. I not sure if that's good, bad, or neutral. I've been changing out the cipro water every evening and dipping once a day. It does seem to look more vibrant after the Lugol dip.

Picture_20183606023636.jpg

Picture_20183706023729.jpg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved some of the red stuff back and may have damaged some tissue ;Blackeye

Not sure if the red stuff is attached or a coating, but underneath is still vibrantly green. Also the green tissue is still holding together.

Picture_20184606024634.jpg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's today's pics for me I'm not seeing improvement, but I also don't think I'm seeing deterioration. If I don't see improvement I'm going to talk with my vet on Monday or Tuesday about how to dose metronidazole or some other protozoan killer.

Picture_20183307023303.jpg

20180707_023322.jpg

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may be seeing some limited success with the dips and the pimafix, though not sure which, if either, is helping or if it's just a fluke. I did think I killed him yesterday, though. Put him in the dip, and then got distracted and left him in there for a half hour. He was pretty upset but puffed back up after a while.

20180707_102802.jpg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any negative signs after forgetting mine in the dip. Only when I dipped the cynarina. Since I had the water I thought why but. I think a bristleworm climbed out of its mouth and pulled some of its insides out. After a bit it started to look better than before though.

Are you doing Pima fix with the cipro?

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added the cipro just yet. Was going to give it a week of just the dip and pimafix first, unless it got worse, which it hasnt yet. The weird thing is I can't even see the oral disk at all. It's covered in that white mucosa. I really wonder what's underneath that. Can't imagine he will feed like that.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove some of the film by sucking or blowing it off?

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a bit afraid to try, but Monday morning when I get back to the office I will give it a shot. If I'm successful I'll throw it under the microscope and see if there is anything interesting to it.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't think to do that. It totally slipped my mind haha. I'll see about doing that today or tomorrow

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I talked to someone that thinks mine is having a defense response, but isn't actually sick. I'm going to try buying store bought water and see if that helps. I may have a contaminant from mixing my own water that is the problem for this guy and the zoanthids. I didn't do an iodine dip tonight. I did one last night and he really withdrew and got upset. I also didn't do a water change for the cipro because my water was too warm. I did it tonight. Hopefully missing the change didn't hurt anything. I also had a blast taking pics of stuff under the microscope. I didn't pinch off any tissue, but I did tank off some of the brown stuff (it's attached and doesn't blow off) and pull some stuff from out of his mouth.

Today's pics show how on one side some skeleton is almost peaking through. Not a good sign.

20180709_030846.jpg

20180709_030840.jpg

Picture_20180809030829.jpg

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's looking a bit better today actually. Most of the white tissue has receded, been reabsorbed, or dissolved, whatever the heck it is, and some green coloration is starting to return in the oral disk area. No meaningful polyp extension to speak of yet. However he seems to hate the light. Whenever I turn it on, he closes up some. Still, I guess it's progress.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back