OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently moving real slow with the final steps of the aquascape and I am quickly losing my mind with the hours put in.
The dogs give more of the instant gratification…

AC4BD14B-6D13-43A2-ACA1-00ADE0443EA7.jpeg

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally finished the aquascape!! Just waiting for lfs to get the new Red Sea pump I ordered so I can start the cycle and hook up the plumbing!

The tips of the some of the Marco rock get a bit close to the glass but I have about an inch at all of the closest points. I plan on rearranging some of the foundation rocks on the bottom to create zoa gardens. Any tips or pointers for the aquascape?

C93F8A8F-4CDF-403F-BD14-75CC74432841.jpeg
5DAD8189-9FFC-47F5-A934-D6345E4D970C.jpeg
659AF620-DC61-42FE-BB08-DEF66534E5C8.jpeg
8F0C138E-EA28-43B7-8113-B448ECC5E1F4.jpeg
BDF3B5EE-AAA0-4F3E-9B84-5F5ADC3B64A7.jpeg
9E13C55F-650C-4BB6-840D-1DFB84563ED9.jpeg
04B0D567-9CB9-4844-B5EA-D6BB8ACBDBF9.jpeg
CCF6F97C-A663-4F0E-9CC4-7B3CEC844C8A.jpeg

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two mp 40s, does anyone have any suggestions for placement?
Well what corals do you want mostly? There isn’t an exact place you should or shouldn’t put them as long as you have success with the corals and it doesn’t take away much of the vis appeal.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what corals do you want mostly? There isn’t an exact place you should or shouldn’t put them as long as you have success with the corals and it doesn’t take away much of the vis appeal.
Torches, zoas, Duncan’s, hammers, goniopora, alveopora, elegance, galaxea, daisy polyps, cristata, long polyp toadstool, and eventually Acropora,

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches, zoas, Duncan’s, hammers, goniopora, alveopora, elegance, galaxea, daisy polyps, cristata, long polyp toadstool, and eventually Acropora,
So mostly LPS with a mixture of Softies and some SPS. First off placement. Where exactly are you looking to place your corals? You will have to experiment with where your corals end up and if enough flow hits them to have them healthy, and leave little to none dead spots on the sand. Normally with 2 Powerheads people can just put them on either side of the glass and let the currents mix with each other and hope there is enough flow for everywhere you want it and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Personally I think this is outdated because sometimes required flow doesn’t reach areas needed, leading to coral health issues and multiple dead spots on the sand collecting junk. Place them somewhere where you think it’ll work with your coral plans and adjust with the settings and placement once you have coral if needed.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I like the open space scape design your fish will have no caves to hide in if they feel threatened nor any place to call home territory to sleep in at night. I have basically the same size tank with 12 fish. They all have their own caves and hiding places. They all disappear into their caves as lights dim out and they stay there until the morning.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I like the open space scape design your fish will have no caves to hide in if they feel threatened nor any place to call home territory to sleep in at night. I have basically the same size tank with 12 fish. They all have their own caves and hiding places. They all disappear into their caves as lights dim out and they stay there until the morning.
Hmm I’m sure I can add a couple spots in

sczlars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Just go really slow on adding fish. I have a 92gallon, and 7 fish feels pretty lively. You may reach your visual saturation point sooner than you think :) I may have missed something in your thread, but personally I would want to at least have *some* actual live rock in there to start it. I've heard of quite a few headaches with an all-dry setup. Of course, then you'll possibly have some hitchhikers to deal with, but I think that is part of the fun, and most of them are beneficial, lol.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I’m thinking of adding a piece of live rock into the sump, would that work?
Looks great! Just go really slow on adding fish. I have a 92gallon, and 7 fish feels pretty lively. You may reach your visual saturation point sooner than you think :) I may have missed something in your thread, but personally I would want to at least have *some* actual live rock in there to start it. I've heard of quite a few headaches with an all-dry setup. Of course, then you'll possibly have some hitchhikers to deal with, but I think that is part of the fun, and most of them are beneficial, lol.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im
Thanks so much for letting me know now before I put water in! I think I’ll go by quickly and add a couple pieces of rock into the scape to add some hiding spots. I’ll also take the foundation pieces on the bottom and build little caves on top of those which will layer my zoas.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im

Thanks so much for letting me know now before I put water in! I think I’ll go by quickly and add a couple pieces of rock into the scape to add some hiding spots. I’ll also take the foundation pieces on the bottom and build little caves on top of those which will layer my zoas.
Excellent, I think your open free form design is beautiful and if you add a few caves your fish will love you for it

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I’m thinking of adding a piece of live rock into the sump, would that work?
Any live ocean rock you add will Jumpstart the biodiversity and microfauna in your tank. Real wet rock from the ocean not your LFS.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back