Elimi-np- dosing advice needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kay 2024
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kay 2024

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
40
Location
Liverpool
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been carbon dosing for a few years now and have recently changed over to TM Bacto balance, although my NO3 was high 52.4 my PO4 was in the desired range 0.07. After 6 days of dosing BB my NO3 was 56.0 & PO4 was up to 0.18 so switched to Elimi-np. Last nights testing showed PO4 0.17 - NO3 66.3 - I did a 60L water change immediately. Tank looks fine, not noticing coral/fish stress, no algae growth either. Am currently dosing the daily maximum amount of Elimi np for my tank. Any advice pls?

Tank - 300L - Bare bottom, been set up for 13 months, tank transfer so rock, coral, fish are years with me. Mainly LPS & Zoas, few Sps. Quite a large fish load, including copperband, which needs heavy feeding.

PO4 =0.17
NO3 =66.3
KH =7.9
CA=410
MAG =1400
PH=8.1
TM pro salt.
AFR.
KH booster.

TIA
 
Hi All,

I've been carbon dosing for a few years now and have recently changed over to TM Bacto balance, although my NO3 was high 52.4 my PO4 was in the desired range 0.07. After 6 days of dosing BB my NO3 was 56.0 & PO4 was up to 0.18 so switched to Elimi-np. Last nights testing showed PO4 0.17 - NO3 66.3 - I did a 60L water change immediately. Tank looks fine, not noticing coral/fish stress, no algae growth either. Am currently dosing the daily maximum amount of Elimi np for my tank. Any advice pls?

Tank - 300L - Bare bottom, been set up for 13 months, tank transfer so rock, coral, fish are years with me. Mainly LPS & Zoas, few Sps. Quite a large fish load, including copperband, which needs heavy feeding.

PO4 =0.17
NO3 =66.3
KH =7.9
CA=410
MAG =1400
PH=8.1
TM pro salt.
AFR.
KH booster.

TIA
Hi Kay,

Your results are hard to explain and not in agreement with most other experiences. I wonder where you have X.Y results for nitrate and phosphate from. I think some of the fluctuations is testing error/variation.

I also wondered whether some of the testing error for nitrate might be from minor nitrite contribution/fluctuation.
 
Hi Kay,

Your results are hard to explain and not in agreement with most other experiences. I wonder where you have X.Y results for nitrate and phosphate from. I think some of the fluctuations is testing error/variation.

I also wondered whether some of the testing error for nitrate might be from minor nitrite contribution/fluctuation.
Hi Hans,

Thank you so much for your quick reply, its really appreciated.

I use Hanna test kits for PO4, NO3, KH, although to be honest, I don't even have a nitrite test kit to check that! I can always pick one up/borrow one from a reefer friend if knowing the result would help you guide me?

Yes, am totally baffled with it, nothing has died in the tank, as I said tank looks good.

NO3 has always been a battle - I have used TM Elimi-Phos rapid on doser up until I changed to BB, that held my PO4 perfect at tiny daily dose of 0.6ml per day.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new