Elimi-np or np bacto balance?

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had zero nitrate and phosphate before and after my GHA outbreak. Slow dosing Vibrant over 2 1/2 months has totally wiped it out without dumping a ton of nutrients in my system.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding the Bacto-balance has trace amounts of N&P in it to eliminate the chance of you bottoming out your nutrient levels, it's more to maintain low levels, whereas Elimi-NP is better for bringing down high nutrients. Sounds like Bacto-balance would suit your needs more. I know some people have had success with bacteria supplements in these scenarios as well, such as microbacter 7 or waste-away. I use biodigest myself.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not convinced that hair algae has much to do with nutrient levels. It does love to grow opportunistically on bare rock and sand. You can slowly beat it with manual removal and clean up crew.

I have not used either of the products mentioned. If raising nitrate and/or phosphate, I would just dose those things instead of a product.
Vibrant, or other algaecides, would likely kill it.

Good luck.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running NP Bacto Balance for a year+ now. I don't know what I think about it honestly. It never solved my GHA problem, not that I started using for that reason. My phos and Nit are always where they state it will be at. Nitrates between 3-7 and Phos between .03-.05. I don't try to mess with the algae much as it is the only movement in a sps tank. I have noticed that the GHA has become the easiest form to read if I am over feeding. NP Bacto probably took me about 2 months to lock in on what was running the tank best. I have recently considered the idea of reducing the amount I am dosing but there aren't really any guides on how to go about that or why you would want to do that. I am about 90% finished with my current bottle and not sure if I want to continue with the product or not. If I do decide to stop, what steps do I take? If there is one thing the product will do is have you guessing what it is doing and if it is even needed other than make your test results read a certain way.

OP
OP
D

darksideofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running NP Bacto Balance for a year+ now. I don't know what I think about it honestly. It never solved my GHA problem, not that I started using for that reason. My phos and Nit are always where they state it will be at. Nitrates between 3-7 and Phos between .03-.05. I don't try to mess with the algae much as it is the only movement in a sps tank. I have noticed that the GHA has become the easiest form to read if I am over feeding. NP Bacto probably took me about 2 months to lock in on what was running the tank best. I have recently considered the idea of reducing the amount I am dosing but there aren't really any guides on how to go about that or why you would want to do that. I am about 90% finished with my current bottle and not sure if I want to continue with the product or not. If I do decide to stop, what steps do I take? If there is one thing the product will do is have you guessing what it is doing and if it is even needed other than make your test results read a certain way.
Makes me wonder if I should wait and not start it and figure out something else

OP
OP
D

darksideofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not convinced that hair algae has much to do with nutrient levels. It does love to grow opportunistically on bare rock and sand. You can slowly beat it with manual removal and clean up crew.

I have not used either of the products mentioned. If raising nitrate and/or phosphate, I would just dose those things instead of a product.
Vibrant, or other algaecides, would likely kill it.

Good luck.

I've been manually removing what I can by hand and used peroxide to treat the zoas that are getting strangled. But it keeps coming back.

OP
OP
D

darksideofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dosing np bacto balance for a month now and stoped dosing vibrant 2 weeks ago and all my algea is gone. Figured I'd give a little update.

The corals I have left look great and the skimmer is working on a whole new level

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back