Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after months of back and forth and worry, I made the plunge.
Yesterday I dosed my tank, fingers crossed.
My system is about 250 g
I removed my leather, GSP, gorgogian, and some large tubro snails.

What's left in the tank:
All my acros, hammers, zoas, bubble coral, shrooms, open brain, lobo, nems, fighting conchs, sally light foot crab
I dosed at a concentration of about 1mg/gal
I dissolve 1 250mg package in about 1 G of system water and then poured it into the tank.

24 hrs later:
-All corals and nems look fine
-All fish look fine
-clove polyps are dramatically affected. In fact I had to look real close to see them. They are closed up or just dying/dead
-There was a small colony of GSP that was left behind, it has closed up about 95%.

So far the drug is doing as expected,
Will let you know more tomorrow.

Thanks all

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after months of back and forth and worry, I made the plunge.
Yesterday I dosed my tank, fingers crossed.
My system is about 250 g
I removed my leather, GSP, gorgogian, and some large tubro snails.

What's left in the tank:
All my acros, hammers, zoas, bubble coral, shrooms, open brain, lobo, nems, fighting conchs, sally light foot crab
I dosed at a concentration of about 1mg/gal
I dissolve 1 250mg package in about 1 G of system water and then poured it into the tank.

24 hrs later:
-All corals and nems look fine
-All fish look fine
-clove polyps are dramatically affected. In fact I had to look real close to see them. They are closed up or just dying/dead
-There was a small colony of GSP that was left behind, it has closed up about 95%.

So far the drug is doing as expected,
Will let you know more tomorrow.

Thanks all
Hi, I just discovered BCPs in my tank and was going to try this. What product did you buy? I'm looking on Amazon and seeing lots of options.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up date..
It have been 53 hours since I have "bombed" my tank with this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRC40BD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2H78IWQPP5GSR&psc=1.
-No signs of ANY clove polyps, I am very pleased so far
-The GSP that was left in the tank is completely closed up
-I have not seen any of my nassarius snails. I will look again tonight
-I have also not seen any of my trochus snails.I did removed my turbo snails
-All corals and fish are looking normal as is my sallylight foot crab

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up date;
After 80 hrs in treatment,
-No signs of bcp ( I am very pleased)
-No signs of distress on any of my corals and fish
-the few snails that were left in are still moving.
-last night i saw lots of pods moving around
-My macro algae in the sump was unaffected.

I did a 15% water change, added carbon and GFO, turned back on the UV and my skimmer
will continue to watch the tank daily

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up date;
After 80 hrs in treatment,
-No signs of bcp ( I am very pleased)
-No signs of distress on any of my corals and fish
-the few snails that were left in are still moving.
-last night i saw lots of pods moving around
-My macro algae in the sump was unaffected.

I did a 15% water change, added carbon and GFO, turned back on the UV and my skimmer
will continue to watch the tank daily
That's great to hear!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My patience has run its course and since there's no time like the present here we go. ~340 gal total volume. Mixed the medication in a 1 gal jug with tank water (about 1mg/per gal). Turned off auto dosing, carbon and ferric oxide reactor. Cleaned skimmer and shut it down. I moved some Kenya tree, blue ridge coral, chili coral and all the snails I could find to a temp tank.

My tank is largely a zoas garden with some sps, lps and a few shrooms.

IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
36+ hours in and everything (aside from the BCP) is looking good! The BCP started looking bad after about 2+ hours and have now melted completely away in some places. There are a few spots where I still see the tendrils, I'm tempted to siphon them out but I'm gonna stick to the plan. On a side note, blue ridge coral, Kenya trees and a few stray turbo snails seem unaffected. Some GSP that were on a frag I recently acquire have also nearly melted away.

So far so good!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff works!!!!! I dosed around noon yesterday and this morning it's almost completely gone! And like menglish said everything else it the tank looks normal and happy. Once the lights max out this afternoon I'll get a pic.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one week after treatment, the tank is free of bcp. All corals and fish are ok
I did see a dead turbo snail. I tried to remove it before I started the treatment, but is was in the rocks and i could not get to it.
So, if you are doing this, remove your turbo snails. Nassarius snails and hermit crabs are still roaming around. I do noticed that my glass has to be cleaned every 1-2 days. Perhaps a nutrient spike from the die off. I will do another water change and sand bead vacuum tonight when i get home

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one week after treatment, the tank is free of bcp. All corals and fish are ok
I did see a dead turbo snail. I tried to remove it before I started the treatment, but is was in the rocks and i could not get to it.
So, if you are doing this, remove your turbo snails. Nassarius snails and hermit crabs are still roaming around. I do noticed that my glass has to be cleaned every 1-2 days. Perhaps a nutrient spike from the die off. I will do another water change and sand bead vacuum tonight when i get home
I noticed my glass got dirtier faster than normal too.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm one day out from my initial water change. The BCP are all gone including the tendrils I had mentioned before.

I didn't notice anymore algae on the glass. However, I had been dealing with slight cyano accumulation on the substrate which has been less and less over this last week.

On a side note I left my blue ridge coral in the aquarium as it was attached to the rock. Last night I noticed it started showing signs of duress and I can seen the blue skeleton underneath. We'll see if it bounces back post water change but if not I have an additional piece in the temp tank.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_0351.JPG There's a few Hydroids in my tank that survived the treatment.

However, the BCP and GSP are GONE! A big thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread. The only collateral damage suffered was my blue ridge coral. Fortunately, I put a piece in my temp tank, so it's a small sacrifice to make.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are back :(
After 3 weeks, I see them starting to come back
Should i have used the 2mg/gal dose rather that the 1mg/gal that i used?

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about 3 weeks, I can see the clove polyps coming back :(
This is sad news for me.
Questions:
1. Has anyone who used this is still completely bcp free? How long has it been since you are free?
2. In the original post, 2mg/gal was used, I used about 1mg/gal. For those of you who are still free of this pest, did you use 1 or
2mg/gal?
3. Exactly what was your source of Fenbendazol as there are several different packages listed in this thread

Many thanks for your help

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to hear this. I went home and checked my tank top to bottom and mine are still gone and don't appear to be coming back (knock on wood).

I dosed 375mg directly into the 220gal display - there's a 125 gal fuge. I had wondered about whether this was the right way to go about it but I assumed the medication would diffuse into the sump over time. Indeed the BCP in the sump (as well as the Keyna trees) all died. Given the sump is only 3/4 full I'd estimate I have a total of ~300gal against 375mg... so roughly 1.25mg per gal.

I used the Thomas Labs label: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TAQ4OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As a follow up, my extensive zoa and paly collection were unaffected as well as all shrooms, lps and sps. My Grandis palys took a beating but are on the mend. I lost all the Blue Ridge coral in the tank (sucks, but a necessary sacrifice). Nassarius snails were unaffected. After 2 massive water changes and running carbon I've re-introduced all of the other snails so we'll see how they do.

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago, I purchased a rock that had some beautiful Space Monster zoas on it. It also had some Blue Clove Polyp on it as well. I saw the BCP, I knew it was there, I really didn't worry about it at all because I had no idea what it could become.

Fast forward....its now everywhere. Its growing all over my zoas. All over the base of sps. In my refugium. Everywhere!

I was literally about to break down my entire tank, get clean frags of what I could off my existing rock, get all new rock, and start over. It sounded like a monstrous undertaking, but the problem was so bad I didn't see any other way.

I found a few articles/posts that talked about a product called "Fluke Tabs" that seemed to be able to get rid of the BCP. I finally had some hope...but that didn't last long. I learned that at some point this product became unavailable in the US, and I don't think its even being made anymore today. I continued my search.

I then found the following article by Max Draco where he explains the process he went through to find an alternative to Fluke Tabs. I can't thank him enough for both doing all the research to find a solution (which was pure genius), and most importantly documenting it for everyone. Without this article, I would probably be very unhappy right now.

About 1 week ago, I started the process. I followed Max's example very closely. I purchased this product here. I made 50+ gallons of salt water. I removed everything that I thought would die, serpent stars, snails, leather coral, etc. and stopped skimming and using carbon. I dosed 1mg of Fenbendazole per gallon of water to be treated. I waited a little over 72 hours and started skimming again. I added back the carbon and finally I did a large water change at one week (yesterday).

Amazingly, one week after my initial dose....there is not a single Blue Clove Polyp to be found anywhere in my system. Its unbelievable, but they're gone.

Also...I miscalculated initially and I bought way too much Fenbendazole. If anyone needs a packet with enough to treat 250 gallons for only a few dollars... just send me a PM.
Did the fenbendazole affect your snails? I have a few ceriths with Hydractinia echinata hydroid mats and was told to try fenbendazole.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back