Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

I will share this warning out to all fenbendazole treating aquarists looking to remove blue cloves.
There is a high chance that they return, and fenbendazole can do more damage than what is widely reported.

Their roots can travel deep into porous rock where the fenbendazole will have a harder time reaching and eliminating remnant roots. If you have nonporous rock, you’re chances to eradicate are much higher with fenbendazole.

I treated at a high dose for a few months early this year. I just noticed them growing back this weekend after months of them gone.

Learning from my experience and of others, I told myself i would not dose fenbendazole again as it damaged my microfauna too much. Sponge can die as well from fenbendazole and can release toxins when dying which will damage acropora. I did what I told myself I’d do. I removed the entire rock this weekend and retransplanted acros. I will continue to do this on any rock I see the blue cloves polyps growing back on.

I recommend to anyone seeking to eliminate blue clove polyps to just take the prized live rock out and slowly reseed new rock to replace it proactively, in case they return.
 
Day 6:

Not a lot of blue/purple color left.

For those that have done the treatment, did you leave the old BCP tissue on the rock? Or try to scrape it off?
I would love to get most of the "skin" off the rock.

It would be easier since its not in the DT. Maybe I'll sand down that section of rock as much as possible unless anyone has better advice.

My major concern are the BCPs that grew on/between the zoas. I'd hate to throw those zoas out, but if they still remain after a second round of fenbendazole, then I'll chuck the zoas.


Looks like things are coming along. I'm a strong proponent of the double tap after 5-6 weeks. Though, it would be interesting to see the results of a shorter period between treatments.

I had them all trough and between zoas. I was able to fully eliminate even the ones on the polyps without losing zoas.

Good luck!
 
Looks like things are coming along. I'm a strong proponent of the double tap after 5-6 weeks. Though, it would be interesting to see the results of a shorter period between treatments.

I had them all trough and between zoas. I was able to fully eliminate even the ones on the polyps without losing zoas.

Good luck!
Hey there
Thanks for the encouragement.
So long term no side effects to the Zoas?
 
Hey there
Thanks for the encouragement.
So long term no side effects to the Zoas?

None. However, pulling softies, snails, etc is important. Maintaining good water parameters before, during and after are critical. I’ve only ever used the Panacur-c method. It’s a short duration.

@mfollen, I know this is the last thing you wanna relive. You’d used the angel food method as I recall. Know you were doing biome testing and I don’t doubt that takes a hit. If you could please share a bit more about your experience so other folks have the info -
 
Hey Jay
Unfortunately the last aquabiomics microbiome test that I took was in January before I started dosing the fenbendazole flake. I wish I did do another test after treatment to understand the community shifts if any, but I imagine it probably wouldn’t have looked too great, whatever that would be lol.
 
Day 8: Fenbandazole Treatment

Day 8 doesn't look much different from day 6. Will do a water change on this container in 2 days time and then repeat the same dosage again of fenbendazole.

I will also scrape this rock with sandpaper wherever the leftover “skin” is remaining of the blue clove polyps.

Then just hope that the polyp skin that remains between the zoas dies with the second dose.
 
https://www.discus.com/product/fenbendazole-powder/ Hello everyone, I will be using the fenbendazole treatment on my tanks very soon, I have however found another source for the powder in the link above, this is 100% fenbendazole, it does not have other active ingredients like the panacur-c. I will try to report how my process has been throughout.
 
Good luck! One thing, depending on how "deep" your BCP infestation is - like, deep in your rockwork, you might want to think about double tapping - doing one dose and then repeating 4 - 6 weeks later. My BCP are so deep that i never 100% eradicate them - they go away after a treatment and come back a few months later - even after a double tap. I just do it 1x a year now to try and keep things in check. Luckily i have 2 tanks so that i can move all snails to that tank - hermits and most other invertebrates seem to be ok with treatment
 
mine has gotten so bad that they are everywhere, and suffocating corals as well. Its just time for me thats all. All my rockwork is fairly simple and not that porous.
 
STarted the medication last night in my smallest tank with the least amount of corals, I'll keep trying to update. I will say, I received the powder form of the fenbendazole, and yet it's still tough to dilute into water.
 
Day 8: Fenbandazole Treatment

Day 8 doesn't look much different from day 6. Will do a water change on this container in 2 days time and then repeat the same dosage again of fenbendazole.

I will also scrape this rock with sandpaper wherever the leftover “skin” is remaining of the blue clove polyps.

Then just hope that the polyp skin that remains between the zoas dies with the second dose.

Did the clove polyps disappear for good, or have they returned? I am just about to start this treatment. Many thanks.
 
Did the clove polyps disappear for good, or have they returned? I am just about to start this treatment. Many thanks.
I've had BCP in one of my 2 tanks for some time - i've treated it 3 or 4 times but with extensive rockwork or due to some issue with my technique they have returned each time - usually about 3 to 4 months later. I've come to the conclusion that treatment with Fenbendazole is more like an annual way to keep them from getting too out of control. Haven't had any issues with corals or fish - in a 180g mixed reef tank. You can try "double tapping" - doing 1 treatment and then another 4 weeks later - which i've done based on a recommendation on this forum, it also didn't fully eradicate for me.
 
I've had BCP in one of my 2 tanks for some time - i've treated it 3 or 4 times but with extensive rockwork or due to some issue with my technique they have returned each time - usually about 3 to 4 months later. I've come to the conclusion that treatment with Fenbendazole is more like an annual way to keep them from getting too out of control. Haven't had any issues with corals or fish - in a 180g mixed reef tank. You can try "double tapping" - doing 1 treatment and then another 4 weeks later - which i've done based on a recommendation on this forum, it also didn't fully eradicate for me.
Thank you. I have been putting off using fenbendazole for months now, and have been trying to knock the polyps back with Aiptasia X, but they’ve just spread like mad. They’re all over my sand now as well, and have decimated my zoas, so I think it’s time to pull the trigger and give it a go. I will try the second treatment, if everything looks okay. I’ll report back with how it goes.
 
Thank you. I have been putting off using fenbendazole for months now, and have been trying to knock the polyps back with Aiptasia X, but they’ve just spread like mad. They’re all over my sand now as well, and have decimated my zoas, so I think it’s time to pull the trigger and give it a go. I will try the second treatment, if everything looks okay. I’ll report back with how it goes.
Just remember to shut off your UV and skimmer for a few days while the treatment does it's thing. I always kind of freak out about the UV since my tank has ich and i'm worried about my fish getting sick so i may have cut the efficacy of the fenbendazole by turning it back on early. Also - i assume your going to use the dog dewormer capsules - remember to really grind them up like super duper fine - this should also help. I feel your pain - my tank with BCP is slowly coming back to an infestation - also in the sand bed. I think at some point I might just have so much coral that there's not really anyplace left for it to take hold but i'm not there yet. Here's my tank

IMG_5590.png
 
Has anyone ever used Fenbendazole to eradicate Pulsing Xenia...I imagine it's similar to those polyps, as it gets everywhere!!!
Put some on your main scape and it took off? I always used islands or seperate rocks for mine and cut off excess before it spread 😅.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new