Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question, I have too many inverts in my tank to remove. I have maybe 3 large rocks with sps Nd zoas on them that are covered in BCP. Has anyone tried to do a dip with this medication to avoid having to treat the whole tank?
I would think it would be easier to put those rocks into a treatment 'tank' and leave the rest in your tank. I like BCP - I had some - they never spread off of their rock

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very frustrating.
So I am starting to see these polyps pop back up after two weeks .
I dosed my 250 g system with 2.4 mg/gal for 102 hrs (4.25 days). Now, about 2 weeks later, they are starting to come back.
The clove polys that is in my system are not blue, but the small purple ones.
I do not know what to do nest.
Any suggestions?
Should I try a higher dose for longer? They definitely close up and "disappear" after 24 hr in drug but wont stay away.

Higher dose?
longer time?
any suggestions?

many thanks

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have started this thread months ago and I have had no success. I have dosed my tank 5 times. Doubling dose every time. They shrink up for a few weeks to a month then come back. This last time they have come back stronger than ever. Seems to work some and not others.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post of pic of the bcp in you tank and the exact drug you were using? I am having the same problem. I have treated 2x and they have come back after a few weeks.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this treatment with about 630 gallons total water volume, and lost all of my starfish except the little pest ones. They are doing just fine! I had sand sifters I removed before the treatment. I did about a 75% water change, changed my carbon, and ran UV for almost a week before I put them back in. They all died right away. I'm not sure how long I'll wait before buying more, but the medication absolutely hangs around and is still potent to them.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole (Fenbendazole), 250 mg Packets. I dosed 750mg into a 630 gallon total water volume, so that was 1.19mg per gallon. I waited 72 hours before turning the skimmer and UV back on. I waited another day before turning carbon and GFO back on, and I did three 55 gallon water changes. I did three more 55 gallon water changes the next day. It was about two weeks after that before I added the starfish back. I added snails earlier because some of the ones I missed seemed to alive and moving some, although not as chipper as normal and on the glass as much.

The awesome thing is I noticed the bcp are back. Underneath a big coral on a rock I pulled out tonight, the tell tale connected lines with unopened polyps are there and looking really healthy. It has been three weeks total now.

I don't know if I'll try this at the 2mg per gallon dose now.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2,4 mg per gallon for 102 hrs n they still came back . Can you post a pic of the kind of bcp you have?
Crap, I may some of the superstrain or whatever it is you have. I didn't take a picture before, and I scrubbed off everything from the rock I found last night. I got every coral off it and sealed the underside of each of them superglue, then bleached the rock. I'm going to put it through hydrochloric acid before it goes back in my tank. If I find them elsewhere, I will take a picture and post it. Can you post one of yours?

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what mine looks like.
They are more purple in color

IMG_8380.jpeg

IMG_8382.jpeg

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Menglish, those look like mine too. Resilient jerks! I'm blasting these with my laser, which keeps the ones I can get an angle on from spreading, but the ones I can't see will keep on going for sure.

IMG_0554.jpg

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough. So i did a 3rd treatment a few weeks ago. This time i went nuclear on my tank. I added 1gm of drug to my 250 gallon system..0G system. This amounts to 4mg/gal. I kept it in there for 169 hrs (7days)!!! Last week i did my first 40g wc. I am doing another one this weekend. So far, really no ill effects. All the fish are find. The only coral that looked a bit off was my rock of green Palys. They looked a bit stunned. They are opening up back so I think they will be ok. I do have a colony of sps that has RTN. I do not this it is related as all the other colonies are doing fine.
As for inverts,
RBTs, narassius snails, fighting conch and hermit crab and sally light foot crab are all ok.
The bcp are gone, but they were gone with the other dose. I have to wait to see if they come back after 2 weeks
Will keep you updated

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed my tank for the first time. I turned off my skimmer and reactors. I have a decent amount of blue cloves. I dosed about 1.9mg. I am hoping this will work.

Pictures were taken today before treatment.
45055453_353302382082935_3753244518359498752_n.jpg

45014908_265108237377660_3918615941964890112_n.jpg

44997924_1176898549131104_7935354144133480448_n.jpg

44929684_419757918556266_8618025344563150848_n.jpg

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread. I saw some advertised on a mail order site. Thought they were great and was going to order a frag.
Thought I would read up about them. This thread has made me change my mind about buying a frag.
Thanks folks [emoji106]

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread. I saw some advertised on a mail order site. Thought they were great and was going to order a frag.
Thought I would read up about them. This thread has made me change my mind about buying a frag.
Thanks folks [emoji106]

Good choice. They are invasive and would only be cool if that's what you wanted your whole tank to be.

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough. So i did a 3rd treatment a few weeks ago. This time i went nuclear on my tank. I added 1gm of drug to my 250 gallon system..0G system. This amounts to 4mg/gal. I kept it in there for 169 hrs (7days)!!! Last week i did my first 40g wc. I am doing another one this weekend. So far, really no ill effects. All the fish are find. The only coral that looked a bit off was my rock of green Palys. They looked a bit stunned. They are opening up back so I think they will be ok. I do have a colony of sps that has RTN. I do not this it is related as all the other colonies are doing fine.
As for inverts,
RBTs, narassius snails, fighting conch and hermit crab and sally light foot crab are all ok.
The bcp are gone, but they were gone with the other dose. I have to wait to see if they come back after 2 weeks
Will keep you updated

how is it going? I'm hopeful the longer exposure will help

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it has been about 3 weeks since my last treatment.
I am optimistic. No signs of those pesky buggers. The few inverts that were left in the tank during the treatment are still there and doing well. They are out at nights and i can still see pods running around at nights. The corals all took the treatment well. Nothing obvious to report. I did loose one colony of red dragon acro to RTN, but i do not think it was related to the treatment as all my other acros are doing ok.x
I am keeping my fingers crossed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back