Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ended up not being able to handle all my zoas being closed, too much money in there lol. I water changed 50 percent and added carbon today

Hello again.

I tried to overdose only to observe how the zoas handle it and so far it seems ok. I will wait a couple of weeks before I might dose in the DT and if I do I will dose a small amount each day until I get the effect I want.

I also have alot of zoas and live stock I don't want to take a to big risk.

devocole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recent experience with purple clove polyps. Fenbendazole immobilized killed all the normal astrea snails right away. But did not bother the spiny astea snails at all????? After 2 weeks of seeing no trace at all, put on carbon reactor. The polyps popped out in many places after a few days. So high dose the tank again and leave for a month. I truly can't even see the slightest sign anywhere. Put carbon on. Couple days later, they sprout up in multiple locations but in smaller numbers. Now I've dosed again and don't plan to put carbon on for 3 months. If I were to do it again, with the size of my outbreak. I would have left the tank for 3 months without trying to remove the medicine from the system.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recent experience with purple clove polyps. Fenbendazole immobilized killed all the normal astrea snails right away. But did not bother the spiny astea snails at all????? After 2 weeks of seeing no trace at all, put on carbon reactor. The polyps popped out in many places after a few days. So high dose the tank again and leave for a month. I truly can't even see the slightest sign anywhere. Put carbon on. Couple days later, they sprout up in multiple locations but in smaller numbers. Now I've dosed again and don't plan to put carbon on for 3 months. If I were to do it again, with the size of my outbreak. I would have left the tank for 3 months without trying to remove the medicine from the system.

What product do you use?

I've dosed 250 times the recommended dose - and tried this on alot of different corals - and all seems well.

I havn't dosed in the DT yet and Im not sure If I want to since I would risk the nitrate reactors and others organisms.

When I dose the polyps will become small white dots and then they disappear.

How much do you dose?

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again.

I tried to overdose only to observe how the zoas handle it and so far it seems ok. I will wait a couple of weeks before I might dose in the DT and if I do I will dose a small amount each day until I get the effect I want.

I also have alot of zoas and live stock I don't want to take a to big risk.
Yeah mine are looking better today after a 50percent water change and bag of carbon yesterday. Some still not open, the ones that are open look ticked. I dosed safeguard dog dewormer

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there's something else in safeguard dog dewormer beside fenbendazole. What does the package say?

I use fish fenbendazole.. it pure and mixed with dexto.

Might be something else in safeguard that's bad for the aquarium?

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try once more. :)

I am thinking on using this method but would like to hear if someone with nitrate reactors have done this before me?

I have alot of big fish in my aquarium and I need nitrate reactors to keep up with nitrate reduction. They are depending on bacteria will this method interfer with the filters? Any knowledge?

Anyone read this: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ndazole_and_flubendazole_to_aquatic_organisms ??

Do you know if anyone with nitrate reactors have tried this and what was the result?

Having a 2000 liters mixed reef with alot of fish and alot of money in this aquarium so a little nervous about dosing.

I'm not that worried regarding fish and corals but if the fenbendazole have a negative impact on the nitrate reactors I will have a big problem.

Also looking for a list of what sorts of coral gets affected..

At this moment I have alot of lps, some sps and ALOT of zoas.
Fenbendazole is a very targeted treatment. It kills somethings, but leaves other critters that seem similar totally unaffected. Case in point: It will kill algae eating snails but not conch or nassarius snails. Zoas, mushrooms, hammers, torches, all unaffected. Leathers, gorgonias, zenias, will get toasted. As to a nitrate reactor, I don't know. I can say that my nitrates went up, but I think that was because I had a lot of dead BCP in the tank.

Blu_Eyed-Devil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there's something else in safeguard dog dewormer beside fenbendazole. What does the package say?

I use fish fenbendazole.. it pure and mixed with dexto.

Might be something else in safeguard that's bad for the aquarium?
Where can I find the product your using?

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my bottle just came in( fish fenbendazole ). from experience what are you recommendations as far as dosing? i have a large infestation of these annoying purple xenia. so tired of them.

thank you for you thoughts and recommendations.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well my bottle just came in( fish fenbendazole ). from experience what are you recommendations as far as dosing? i have a large infestation of these annoying purple xenia. so tired of them.

thank you for you thoughts and recommendations.

I can't urge you strongly enough to do the 'double tap' in 4-6 weeks. I had a long running infestation for a long time and although the treatment worked the first time they came back in 5-6 months. On the second go around I did the additional dose and that made all the difference. About a year now free and clear.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i can confirm that Blastos don't particularly like this stuff. A fist sized colony has been reduced down to golf ball size. But they are bouncing back. Xenia does not exist in my tank anymore along with the clove polyps. Large rainbow BT anemone was not to happy for a little bit, turning all pruple and shrunk but its bounced back after time and feeding which i have not fed this anemone in years.

I am so happy to be rid of the Xenia! An odd side affect is the one aptatia i have in the tanke tripled in size during the tank treatment... i cant reach it to get rid of.

Thanks!

Joey13254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can you buy this can you use pancur c I got a tank with only anthelia I want to kill out. It’s a 29 gallon

pmiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all
thanks, @Peanut for starting this thread from 2017.
I have the same BCP issue but i can't get the fish Bendazole on amazon anymore... what is the recommended product and the dosing amount?

Last edited:

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from Amazon just back in July i believe. Amazon might be out right now but it should return. if not let me know. i have a few pouches of the stuff left over that i'd be willing to pass on.

pmiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from Amazon just back in July i believe. Amazon might be out right now but it should return. if not let me know. i have a few pouches of the stuff left over that i'd be willing to pass on.
ok great, question how many pouches do i need for a 100G system?

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system sump included is 150G minus some rock work. I believed i used less than one pouch, which is 250 mg each. If i remember correctly its somewhere around one milligram per gallon of water. You will need to do a quick read through as i don't remember exactly. So to answer your question less than one.

Sandman12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the latest product everyone is using and does it work on hydroids?

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok great, question how many pouches do i need for a 100G system?
I have a 100g system and use one 250mg pouch per treatment. That’s 2.5 mg per gallon.

I dissolve the powder in a 16 ounce jar, half full of warm RODI water and divide the dose over two days. The water will be a little cloudy for an hour or two as the powder is white.

I’m on my fourth course of treatment in about a year time. The initial treatments killed my BCP (Brown clove polyps in my case ) but I seem to have very tough strain. Typically within a month or two after treatment I start seeing the tiny BCPs starting to sprout and grow again.

Currently, I’ve been seeing them sprout up in various places and am trying to give them a treatment based on my experience that will eliminate them for good. I added 250 mg two weeks ago, added another 250 mg just now, and I’m planning to add another 250 mg in two weeks again. This is despite the fact that two days after the first treatment they were no longer visible. The whole time I have my skimmer running and NO CARBON, as carbon removes enough of the fenbendazole to stop the effect. Hopefully with this extended treatment I’m going to kill all the roots and the remnants of it deep in the rocks so that it doesn’t grow back.

After using fenbendazole extensively in my heavily stocked reef tank over the last year, here are some observations:

-Fenbendazole will eventually kill leather corals and any type of gsp or clove polyps.

-Fenbendazole has zero effect on Zoas, mushrooms, LPS and SPS. Trust me I have tons of different types of Corals in my tank and this is absolutely the case.

-Repeated doses of 250 mg given at two week intervals have had no negative affect on the above mentioned Corals.

-KEEP YOUR SKIMMER ON DURING TREATMENT. Skimming does not remove the fenbendazole so there’s no reason not to skim. If you have a heavy infestation of BCP when you first treat, like I did, there will be a lot of putrid waste for the skimmer to remove due to the dying/decaying BCP.

-Short treatments where you put carbon back in after a day or two are ineffective. The BCP will recover and grow back. Since the fenbendazole doesn’t harm the other Corals at all, there’s no reason to try and remove it so quickly. It needs to stay active to kill all remnants of the BCP. Point in case, I’m now in the middle of a six week treatment and my other corals have never looked better.

-Does fenbendazole kill beneficial bacteria in live rock, reactors or anywhere else. Clearly not, or I would have had massive problems in my tank, of which I’ve had none.

I hope my experience helps!! Let me know if you have any questions I missed.

Here’s a pic of my tank this week, in the middle of a six week treatment after two 250mg doses.
532DEF74-377B-4A37-B5DB-3B9813A7B822.jpeg

OP
OP
Peanut

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds dangerous. :)
Other than snails, leathers, and the clove/gsp polyps you have nothing to worry about. Many have successfully treated.

I am glad to see that after all these years people are still benefiting from the information I found and posted.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut,

Thanks for getting this thread started and for posting that first article. You’ve made a huge contribution to the hobby! If not for all this knowledge that’s accumulated, I would have had to start my established tank completely over. Cheers!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back