Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell from the packaging what year they were made?
Mid to early 90s, pills are browned than the ones I have from the 2000s but ingredients seem to be the same. I need to test some. When I used them before I was actually dipping for AEFW and just the residue after a rinse was enough to eliminate all xenia, cloves, and gsp

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try a tuxedo urchin a few weeks ago and to my great pleasure, they were completely cleaning everything off the rock, including the polyps and coraline algae.

Anyone else had success with a tuxedo? I been wanting to get one but have unglued frags and just added some rock flower anemone. Found what appears to be hyroids behind the rocks and my brief reaserch lead me to this thread.

20200305_082206_HDR.jpg 20200305_084928_HDR.jpg

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the urchins is that they pick up any coral frag and rocks that are not glued down really tight. I am still watching to see how the urchins work, but i am also spot treating the CP with kalk paste

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited experience, the tuxedo urchin does not eat the BCP. Others can certainly have a different experience, and I am not saying that it can't happen -- it just didn't in my experience. The fenbendozole worked, but it stays in your tank for a long time. It took four months for snails to live in my tank.

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on my fenbendazole experience: I dosed in mid-November. The BCP and apatasia was completely gone for three months. A bit of an algae problem. About a month ago a small outbrake of BCP arose and I put epoxy putty on it. No more since. I have had numerous aptasia sprout. I have been using AptasiaX on them. Last week was the first time I was able to get a snail to live and I am also now seeing leather corals re-sprouting.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my post a few days ago on the other thread:

So, here is my latest approach to deal with these clove polyps.
I made a thick Kalk paste solution in 3% hydrogen peroxide (the one you get at CVS, or any place). I made it very viscous so that it will sink to the bottom of the substrate.
I then turn off all my pumps and use a syringe to spot treat the areas with the BCP. I let this sit on the rocks for 1 hr with absolutely no flow.
after 1 hr, i turned on all the pumps to max. The tank did get cloudy and the ph increased a tad, but nothing to worry about.
Results: the rocks are cleaned, bleached white, even the corals (SPS) that i put it on looked clean. Really no signs of BCP. will have to see over time how this holds up.
I did this treatment at night when most of the fish were "sleeping" to prevent them from picking at the kalk paste.

Let me know if anyone else tries this.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking on using this method but would like to hear if someone with nitrate reactors have done this before me?

I have alot of big fish in my aquarium and I need nitrate reactors to keep up with nitrate reduction. They are depending on bacteria.

Do you know if anyone with nitrate reactors have tried this and what was the result?

Having a 2000 liters mixed reef with alot of fish.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking on using this method but would like to hear if someone with nitrate reactors have done this before me?

I have alot of big fish in my aquarium and I need nitrate reactors to keep up with nitrate reduction. They are depending on bacteria.

Do you know if anyone with nitrate reactors have tried this and what was the result?

Having a 2000 liters mixed reef with alot of fish.
I’ve had great success with kalk paste to kill brown clove polyps. Like you said, it leaves the surface completely clean of bcp or anything else. The only limitation I have with that method is that I can’t use it on vertical surfaces and overhangs where I have bcp because the kalk paste won’t stay.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great success with kalk paste to kill brown clove polyps. Like you said, it leaves the surface completely clean of bcp or anything else. The only limitation I have with that method is that I can’t use it on vertical surfaces and overhangs where I have bcp because the kalk paste won’t stay.

I have way to much BCP to process manually. I need something that eats or targets them.

I know that fenbendazole does that but I can't find out if it could be devastating to all of the other corals I have and especially the nitrate reactors that works as the "heart"of this aquarium.

If the bacteria inside the filter would die from this treathment I would loose alot of animals and invested money. I have a collection of tangs and some corals If I would loose them that would be the end of this hobby for me. :)

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used it with a bio reactor, but i do not thing it will be an issue. If it was, i would have seen an algae bloom when i used it. I did see some algea but i thing that was becuase i had removed all the snails from the tank during treatment and for about 1-2 months after treatment.
What corals are you worried about? move GSP and zinnias, and leather .
My sps, lps, shrooms, zoas,palys were not affected at all

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used it with a bio reactor, but i do not thing it will be an issue. If it was, i would have seen an algae bloom when i used it. I did see some algea but i thing that was becuase i had removed all the snails from the tank during treatment and for about 1-2 months after treatment.
What corals are you worried about? move GSP and zinnias, and leather .
My sps, lps, shrooms, zoas,palys were not affected at all

Im not directly worried for any coral or fish.. Im worried the system might collapse if the nitrate reactors would go down.

Nitrate reactor and biopellets are not the same thing.

I have alot of all types of corals except soft ones. Do you know anyone that have tried this together with nitrate reactors?

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not directly worried for any coral or fish.. Im worried the system might collapse if the nitrate reactors would go down.

Nitrate reactor and biopellets are not the same thing.

I have alot of all types of corals except soft ones. Do you know anyone that have tried this together with nitrate reactors?
Unfortunately, I do not know of anyone in your particular situation. I reckon there must be someone on this thread who can directly address your questions

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope so.

I've tried to dose different corals outside the aquarium and it's effective. Polyps die off and corals look fine. So the only thing that keeps me from dose the entire aquarium is the nitrate reactor risk.

The Aquarium would really benefit from a dose since the polyps are everywhere.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advise, if your going to dose - don't be a wimp. Extra Strength, Full Length of Time, No Cheating. I think I wasn't strong enough in my first rounds, and grew a resilient strain of clove polyps.

General community update Silver Scat effectiveness. I'm happy to report that a silver scat is a cool fish. Swims fast, gets along with others, out front and visible. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it even glance at my clove polyps. :(

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try once more. :)

I have alot of big fish in my aquarium and I need nitrate reactors to keep up with nitrate reduction. They are depending on bacteria will this method interfer with the filters? Any knowledge?

Anyone read this: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ndazole_and_flubendazole_to_aquatic_organisms ??

Having a 2000 liters mixed reef with alot of fish and alot of money in this aquarium so a little nervous about dosing.

I'm not that worried regarding fish and corals but if the fenbendazole have a negative impact on the nitrate reactors I will have a big problem.

Also looking for a list of what sorts of coral gets affected..

At this moment I have alot of lps, some sps and ALOT of zoas.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dosed into my frag tank to kill brown cloves yesterday, and now today most of my zoas are closed or shriveled looking. Getting a little anxious lol as I have a lot of money in zoas in there, but i will keep monitoring

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dosed into my frag tank to kill brown cloves yesterday, and now today most of my zoas are closed or shriveled looking. Getting a little anxious lol as I have a lot of money in zoas in there, but i will keep monitoring

Doesnt sound promising..

But a little odd.. I've tried to do some "overdose" outside my DT.

Dosed different zoas in 250x recommended dose 1-2 mg/gallon. So that would be 250mg/gallon.

Corals dipped in a couple of hours and replaced in DT after rinse.

BCP die in a couple of hours - zoas are not affected at all - so far. :)

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt sound promising..

But a little odd.. I've tried to do some "overdose" outside my DT.

Dosed different zoas in 250x recommended dose 1-2 mg/gallon. So that would be 250mg/gallon.

Corals dipped in a couple of hours and replaced in DT after rinse.

BCP die in a couple of hours - zoas are not affected at all - so far. :)
Yeah ended up not being able to handle all my zoas being closed, too much money in there lol. I water changed 50 percent and added carbon today

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you killed a beauty of you tank. I would say ahh but let you go innocent in your eyes untill you finally realize what you have done. Silents...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back