Emerald crab bug?

taymarie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emerald crab who always seems happy. He has already molted once like two months ago? I haven’t seen him for a few days and today I found him stuck to a rock. On further inspection it was either a molt or he’s dead. I’m not quite sure. I have a ten gallon with two clowns and some frag corals. All of my parameters are good. I don’t see him so I’m wondering if he’s dead. When I was looking at him (not sure how to tell if it’s a molt) I saw a tan bug looking thing crawling all over the underside. Is it a parasite or a problem I’m going to have with my clowns? I am very nervous about this bug

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a copapod chewing on a dead crab (or a molt).

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So

is it dangerous? I am like 98% sure the crab died. I have no clue why. He was doing so good and was molting

Pods are good guys, you want them. The molts look really close to an actual crab so the crab may just be hiding and will pop up again.

OP
OP
taymarie

taymarie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as
Pods are good guys, you want them. The molts look really close to an actual crab so the crab may just be hiding and will pop up again.
i don’t think so. I took all the rocks out since I was worried about the thing on him and didn’t see him.

OP
OP
taymarie

taymarie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe the bug? The more details the better. Pic would be best.
It was kind of rectangular and was brownish tan with what looked like darker markings. It was really small and the only reason I saw it was because I was trying to figure out if it was a molt or dead crab. It was maybe a cm long and moved medium fast speed. I tried to find it again but couldn’t to take a picture. It was really sad to be looking at the crab and I didn’t want to touch it. I put him in a bowl just in case he wasn’t dead but he was. My clowns seem fine so I’m hoping it was a copepod

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back