Emerald crab- Jerk or cleaning up?

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I received my order for some Astera snails. Once I added the snails to the tank (7) all but two immediately took off. The other two were moving slower than the rest but I figured they would be fine by morning. After about 30 minuets of watching to make sure everyone was okay I turned the lights off and laid down in bed. Probably an hour or two later I got up and shined the red light in the tank to check on everyone and that dang emerald crab of mine had his GRUBBY CLAWS pulling out the innards of one of my new snails! I was considerate enough to let him finish so the poor snail at least didn't go to waste and then removed what was left over to clean the shell. I feed my emeralds and hermits sinking pellets every other day as we have not added fish yet and want to prevent any aggression between them and the snails for food. What would you do with said emerald? Sump? Leave him be? My other two have not displayed any sort of aggression and honestly this is killing me because they are so entertaining to watch. This morning I could only find 5/6 snails left in the tank and wondering if he got another one too.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing what happened exactly its impossible to say, but all crabs are opportunistic. If they want to and can they will. This is why I don't like crabs except a few scarlet reef hermits here and there.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's eating snails, it's still hungry. I feed mine nori periodically. Daily is fine if there isn't much algae in the tank to graze on.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess is that those snails died and were eaten. It’s not uncommon for a few to die under initial introduction.

I second this. An emerald will eat, or at least attempt to eat, anything that is dead or dying. I would follow the suggestions above about feeding.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that female crabs are better than male crabs if its a male I say sump it of its a female keep it in the display. As to the snail issue it was just doing what you hired him to do. If you get a few snails theres always a good chance that one or two don't make it.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping it was the snail who was dying and the crab was just cleaning up the mess! I've read so many forms saying don't over feed which is why I do pellets (fairly good amount) every other day instead of daily. I hate seeing the pellets go uneaten cause I'm worried it will throw my parameters off if they decompose. I'll try feeding a little daily and see if that helps. We have had the crabs for 2 weeks now with lots of other snails and hermits in the tank and everything has been coexisting peacefully until this incident

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping it was the snail who was dying and the crab was just cleaning up the mess! I've read so many forms saying don't over feed which is why I do pellets (fairly good amount) every other day instead of daily. I hate seeing the pellets go uneaten cause I'm worried it will throw my parameters off if they decompose. I'll try feeding a little daily and see if that helps. We have had the crabs for 2 weeks now with lots of other snails and hermits in the tank and everything has been coexisting peacefully until this incident
just my opinion but whatever you are giving them every other day, divide into four and feed twice a day…just my opinion but that’s a better bio rhythm for the critters

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're having to add food (i.e. nutrients to grow more algae ) for a CUC member then what's the point? Good argument for not buying emerald crabs anymore if you need to target feed them.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're having to add food (i.e. nutrients to grow more algae ) for a CUC member then what's the point? Good argument for not buying emerald crabs anymore if you need to target feed them.
True, though once my emerald died, the bubble algae started coming back…
Gonna need to pick a new one up soon.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen crabs kill other animals in front of my eyes. Healthy animals, not sickly or dead ones. I have seen emeralds, porcelains, hermits, and more do this. And yes the hermits did this even without trying to take the shell of something else.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen crabs kill other animals in front of my eyes. Healthy animals, not sickly or dead ones. I have seen emeralds, porcelains, hermits, and more do this. And yes the hermits did this even without trying to take the shell of something else.
True, mine used my serpent star as a buffet. When it was done toying around it ripped it in half.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jerk - yes.
Cleans up - yes.

I caught my emerald clawing/eating my maxi mini. The maxi is green, so maybe he thought it was algae. Forced that maxi to move around for the first time ever.

On the flip side, my sponges and bubble algae are gone so he's definitely doing his job.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I never trusted emeralds and never will. Three strikes was what I gave them. . . went after coral every time.
In fact I trust a politician more than I trust emeralds.
They generally do not hunt other snails or inverts. My guess is that the snails died and were then scavenged upon. Why do snails die:
Starvation
High or low PH
Salinity elevated
Water temp too warm
High Nitrates

Back