Emerald crab molt glows in the dark!

Mikey Maroon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of days ago I noticed a molt from my emerald crab in my tank. I believe it to be a molt because; 1. It has a chalky white color to its appearance (not translucent as far as I can tell), 2. It seems to be very light (the current will sometimes push or move the molt and it is apparent that it must be light weight or lacking "meat"), 3. I noticed a little "hatch door" type little flap thing on the underside posterior that was open, I assume that's where the crab made it's escape from the carapace.

I've decided to leave the carapace in the tank for the time being while I research the pros and cons of doing so. I figure leaving it for a few days at most wouldn't pollute the tank enough to cause harm.

So this morning before the light turned on, I went to take a peek in the tank with a red filtered flashlight to see what nocturnal critters were out and about. Before I even turned the flashlight on, in the complete darkness, I see a faint glow coming from the bottom of the tank. Upon further inspection I noticed it was the crab molt, and that it had a faint green bioluminescence that was glowing in the dark!

I still have no idea if it would be better to leave it to be eaten by my clean up crew or to remove it from the tank however. Has anyone left a molt in and had a nutrient or toxicity issue? I'll probably remove it but I'd leave it in if it has more value as a nutrient source for my crab.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just calcium, if its not eaten, it will dissolve back into the water after a couple of days. I never bother trying to remove it.

OP
OP
Mikey Maroon

Mikey Maroon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carapace is beginning to break down some and I have noticed a bristle worm take an interest in it at night. The dissolved calcium will help my LPS out so all is well that ends well :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back