EMERGENCY: 525XL leaking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea suck. I have the 525 and i can slide a paper almost all the way in between the glass and stand. Told RS about it and they say there is no problem and my tank should be fine. I saved all their emails so when i have a leak, i can sue the hell out of them. Never buy any RS products again. Good luck and i hope RS do the right thing for you

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a waiting game while the house is in disarray. Wife is considering getting out of the hobby. Seem to be within Red Sea’s SLA but I sure hope to get some clarity soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contact with Red Sea and they are trying to work something out along the lines of a discounted replacement plus freight charges. I’ve expressed concerns with further investing into their product. They don’t have a legal obligation to replace the tank outright because I bought the tank from a friend, who bought like 3 of these things.

It can be debated whether or not they should replace it. Obviously I’m biased because I’m in this position. Tank failures are one of the most dreaded things that can happen in this hobby, and it happened with their name on it.

View Badges
Always go with a company that has lifetime warranty if tank fails due to defects you just pay for shipping charges and not a new tank price. Get new tank in sale it then get with a company that has lifetime warranty

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always go with a company that has lifetime warranty if tank fails due to defects you just pay for shipping charges and not a new tank price. Get new tank in sale it then get with a company that has lifetime warranty
Do you know who has a lifetime warranty? And would any other tank fit with the Red Sea sump and stand setup?

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying the tank failure is your fault, but overall isn't it a bit much to ask a manufacturer to provide warranty service for a tank bought used? I'm all for holding manufacturers to a high standard but this seems a little overboard.
I guess that’s the question. Do warranty’s transfer over on vehicles? It’s debatable. In this hobby, a tank failing so soon is horrible regardless of where it came from. It has their logo on it. House is perfectly level.

Red Sea’s warranty on their seams for people who buy directly is 4 years. Is that long in your opinion?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough decision here, but it’s not the first time I’ve heard of these Red Sea tanks doing this. Maybe going with a different brand is the correct choice.
We all should. These tanks are made in China and the company knows about the low quality stands. People told me Red Sea has made changes, I say talk is cheap and so is the country these products are made in.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never purchase anything from RS again. I bought a used tank (much like yourself) albeit a 170.

I had to find a replacement RS-250 that I bought at full cost at the time. The glass is cheap, the silicone is not the best work, and you pay a premium for all of it. If I ever get another tank, I want to find a reputable builder and spend the money. Or go the alternate route and buy a cheapo all-glass.

-Tom

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never purchase anything from RS again. I bought a used tank (much like yourself) albeit a 170.

I had to find a replacement RS-250 that I bought at full cost at the time. The glass is cheap, the silicone is not the best work, and you pay a premium for all of it. If I ever get another tank, I want to find a reputable builder and spend the money. Or go the alternate route and buy a cheapo all-glass.

-Tom

I'm really happy with my pro-star.

But they have really gone up in a price lately. I paid $2700 for my 230v2 including shipping. Now it's like $4000-$4600. Still cheaper than red sea.

Only had it 1 year, so I hope it lasts and can't say for sure that it does.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that’s the question. Do warranty’s transfer over on vehicles? It’s debatable. In this hobby, a tank failing so soon is horrible regardless of where it came from. It has their logo on it. House is perfectly level.

Red Sea’s warranty on their seams for people who buy directly is 4 years. Is that long in your opinion?
Correction: warranty on seams is only 3 years.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3 year seam warranty is laughable. A tank is just maturing at 3 years. With the price they charge they should have a lifetime warranty. Or at least something like 10 year. Good luck getting this sorted out. Maybe get the replacement and get this one resealed so you can swap it out in a few years or when the new one let’s go. Because it seems it’s a matter of when not if the seals of a Red Sea tank will let go. I’ve read so many threads like this.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! Who has lifetime warranty?
I’m pretty sure my custom built planet aquarium tank has a lifetime warranty on it. If not lifetime, it’s at least 10 years…. I did have to use their stand for that to apply but that’s fine, I’m happy with it, it’s nice powder coated steel.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Had a new tideline sump setup for a few hours Leaked all over my carpet 534 .00 dollars wasted . Seller andI parted ways FAST!!!

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Had a new tideline sump setup for a few hours Leaked all over my carpet 534 .00 dollars wasted . Seller andI parted ways FAST!!!
Bought Bashsea instead. The acrylic on tideline and Trigger too Thin to my liking!

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took Red Sea’s offer on a discounted replacement. It was the path to least resistance in getting back set up. If I get out of the hobby, I will have a tank/stand combo to sell vs a very specific stand only.

Time will tell if I regret this decision. I don’t feel great about it, however they did say that the new models have a reinforced seam.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: This replacement tank came and there were some differences from the original.

First, the seams (front sides, front bottom, back bottom) are reinforced with a plastic protective layer.

Second, the side glass panels are now the same thickness as the front panels. They used to be something like 3/8” thinner. I suppose this would also create a strong seam since the surface area is slightly bigger.

Transferring tanks is never fun but I survived.
For the few weeks I was sorting this out, I had to rig the tank to run at 3/4 capacity (just below the leak) and reinforced the seam with silicon and gorilla glue duct tape.

A stressfull situation that I don’t wish on anybody. Thanks for all the support.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea e-260 has that hard plastic over the seam too. I will be getting a larger tank next year, likely 160-220 gallons so I am in the decision making process now. I love my current Red Sea tank but it does trouble me with all of these failures. What would you say caused the failure? Was it manufacturing or maybe a glass cleaner removing the seam slowly?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back