EMERGENCY! CLOWNFISH PROBLEM!

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I have a pair of clownfish that we’re doing great for a couple of months, however now one of them is laying on its side and breathing rather erraticly, is also has no appetite. Everything else in the tank is fine, including the other clowns and anemones, so I know it’s not a random nutrient spike, could anybody help me!

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35AD54BB-47A5-4702-8449-0852825FD839.jpeg

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White spots on the tail fin look very much like ich, was anything added to the tank recently?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah post in disease with some closer up pictures if you can get them, especially anything that looks like disease (like the tail fin if it has white spots).

Taipan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Clowns do you have in a single tank?

Clowns are surprisingly Shy and aggressive.
From what I have experienced is that Clowns are best kept in a single pair of 2. Anything more and you run the risk of bullying where the Dominant female becomes the aggressor.
I have seen success if kept in a large group 25+ or more, the aggression is split between the fish. Similar to how you balance Cichlid aggression buy overstocking the tank.

I dare say, your clown may have been bullied away from food and is now exhausted. I have witnessed this in a multi clown tank. I resolved this by isolating the weaker fish and feeding them separately.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I have experienced is that Clowns are best kept in a single pair of 2. Anything more and you run the risk of bullying where the Dominant female becomes the aggressor.
I have seen success if kept in a large group 25+ or more, the aggression is split between the fish. Similar to how you balance Cichlid aggression buy overstocking the tank.

I dare say, your clown may have been bullied away from food and is now exhausted. I have witnessed this in a multi clown tank. I resolved this by isolating the weaker fish and feeding them separately.
I have a single pair, I have seen the other clown bullying this one quite a bit, could this be the problem? I witnesses the other clown ramming it when it was on its side.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

potential ich tail spots, pair of clownfish a few months with good eating at feeding time and no injury? this doesn't seem like bullying

edit: looks like there is bullying, nice call man!!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no other fish sick I would guess bullied. I have even had a pair of clowns where one just tortured the other to death in a 125 gal tank

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back