Emergency filtration situation

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my fish tank was running with a completely brand new fluval 207 for the past 3 or 4 months. It was making noise for months and it got worse over time. I recently cleaned it up a week ago and now, it leaks when I lean it on on the sides. It's the first time that I had lemon canister filter as I still have my 205 running on my freshwater. I do not have space for a sump. So, how long can my tank run without a filter? Plus, it's making bubbles in my tank that gets into my gha problem.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no filter is needed, as long as you have rocks and powerheads, the biofiltration continues, which is the most important. You will lose the benefit of mechanical and chemical filtration, but that can be replaced by weekly water changes. Just add a powerhead to replace the flow that the canister was providing, and I'll bet the tank won't notice any change. I run 2 tanks with no mechanical filters, just powerheads and flow and water changes

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have 2 wave makers alredy in my tank and never turned them off (only once when I need to clean them).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as @Mr. Mojo Rising says, you'll be just fine! :)

I had a very similar issue with a 307 Fluval canister on my FW tank recently. It was the rubber O-ring on the top that was damaged and had to be replaced.

If you are buying a new filter- and if you have room, then the FX series from Fluval offer more flexibility and is much easier to clean. It has an outlet for water changes as well!

I do like the Oase Thermo as well with the build in heater.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as @Mr. Mojo Rising says, you'll be just fine! :)

I had a very similar issue with a 307 Fluval canister on my FW tank recently. It was the rubber O-ring on the top that was damaged and had to be replaced.

If you are buying a new filter- and if you have room, then the FX series from Fluval offer more flexibility and is much easier to clean. It has an outlet for water changes as well!

I do like the Oase Thermo as well with the build in heater.
Thanks! I'll look into those. Though, it doesn't explain why my filter is very loud. It makes noise every minutes.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll look into those. Though, it doesn't explain why my filter is very loud. It makes noise every minutes.
My FX4 makes a rather loud noice every few hours as it has a self-cleaning function (.. which I doubt works!). Why yours is somewhat loud, I don't know. My 307 don't to that, sorry.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean the impeller? Thats the only moving part in that filter.....I would start there first...remove, disassemble and clean....
For bubbles, its a gasket as already advised

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean the impeller? Thats the only moving part in that filter.....I would start there first...remove, disassemble and clean....
For bubbles, its a gasket as already advised
Yes. I cleaned the whole thing up.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My FX4 makes a rather loud noice every few hours as it has a self-cleaning function (.. which I doubt works!). Why yours is somewhat loud, I don't know. My 307 don't to that, sorry.
The worst part is that I cleaned it up a week ago.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst part is that I cleaned it up a week ago.
That's fishkeeping for you isn't it? :) Always some frustrations and issues to deal with! I hope you manage to sort it all out! :)

Did I ask - do you have room for a small sump?

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fishkeeping for you isn't it? :) Always some frustrations and issues to deal with! I hope you manage to sort it all out! :)

Did I ask - do you have room for a small sump?
True. I don’t you’ve asked that, but I prefer saying it in case you suggested me one.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I don’t you’ve asked that, but I prefer saying it in case you suggested me one.
Ah! Sorry about that :) I did not suggest a sump, but it might be something to consider if you have room for it.. It will be easier, it's much more versatile and you can hide away a good bit of your equipment down there instead of in your display.

You would need to either drill your current tank though or invest in an overflow box.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Sorry about that :) I did not suggest a sump, but it might be something to consider if you have room for it.. It will be easier, it's much more versatile and you can hide away a good bit of your equipment down there instead of in your display.

You would need to either drill your current tank though or invest in an overflow box.
I had thought about having one, but I just realized how tiny the space where it’d fit is tiny.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had canisters in my fresh water some times I would have to rock them side to side to remove trapped air after I cleaned them. Just throwing it out there

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had canisters in my fresh water some times I would have to rock them side to side to remove trapped air after I cleaned them. Just throwing it out there
I did that and it didn’t solve my noise problem. Plus, it showed a leaking issue when I did that.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its leaking water out, then its letting air in.....your noise just might be a leaking gasket letting air in and gurgling......double check all gaskets, especially where its leaking

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its leaking water out, then its letting air in.....your noise just might be a leaking gasket letting air in and gurgling......double check all gaskets, especially where its leaking
Thanks! I’ll check the sealant of my motorhead part since this is where it leaks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back