EMERGENCY MAYBE IDK

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I just let my 5 dwarf hermit crabs into my tank and right away one of the hermit crabs got out of its shell. I tried to nudge it back to him as he’s exploring the tank but he keeps leaving it. I do have extra shells but they are all bigger and he is quite small. I have no idea what to do and my local fish store said that there wasn’t much to do about it as they have a mind of their own.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71D90384-6E8A-4EE8-B64F-3BA3533215EE.jpeg
He’s very tiny probably have to look closely

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. Hopefully nobody attacks it while it's exploring. Ya there isn't much you can do but make sure you have plenty of shells.

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could isolate him with a couple of shells in a Tupperware see if he crawls into one, or if you have a acclimation box.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I just let my 5 dwarf hermit crabs into my tank and right away one of the hermit crabs got out of its shell. I tried to nudge it back to him as he’s exploring the tank but he keeps leaving it. I do have extra shells but they are all bigger and he is quite small. I have no idea what to do and my local fish store said that there wasn’t much to do about it as they have a mind of their own.
He'll find a hiding place and be ok.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had hermits do that before. Not really an emergency - they'll mess around for a bit until they find something they're satisfied with.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had hermits do that before. Not really an emergency - they'll mess around for a bit until they find something they're satisfied with.
Wow sounds like your talking about a anemone

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be a full moon, mine just did the same thing! Unfortunately, he seemed to be tumbling around in some corner flow. I moved a couple shells near him... :(
Ugh, hopefully he gets back in a shell. I would try to separate him from the rest of the tank as mine did not last long with 3 shrimp. I regret not just separating him and leaving him with a shell.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Let it do its' thing naturally. Nudging back rarely encourages it to go back but rather run for cover and get stressed out. It may not do a thing until lights out when it feels safe.

flairbear04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they get out of their shell to molt. I have many hermit crabs and have never actually seen the process. I only find bodies lying around haha. When I first discovered one of the "bodies" when I got my first hermit crab I was CERTAIN he was dead because he was hiding in his shell and I couldn't see the opening. Then, I found him climbing up a rock later on and I was like "how'd you come back to life!!" I looked it up and I was like oh. Lol anyway I hope your little hermie is okay. I know I'm a little late

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back