Emergency: Midas Blenny refusing to eat

NanoReefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past few days I have been noticing my Midas Blenny swimming around the tank less than normal. I started to notice that he was getting very thin and losing color. He had been eating fine in the weeks prior, but suddenly, he’s refusing to accept any food. I have tried pellets, mysis, and spirulina. I haven’t seen any evidence of external parasites, but I’m afraid that he might have some internally. I’m getting very worried that he won’t pull through, and he is one of my favorites. I put him in a mesh breeder box so I could observe him better. However, I have no clue what is going on with him, so I haven’t tried any meds, etc. for fear of stressing him out even more. I have a quarantine tank and supplies that I could set up if necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never hurts to have the QT standing by all ready-to-go for when you do get some ideas about a course of treatment (I unfortunately don't have any suggestions, but wish you the best).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past few days I have been noticing my Midas Blenny swimming around the tank less than normal. I started to notice that he was getting very thin and losing color. He had been eating fine in the weeks prior, but suddenly, he’s refusing to accept any food. I have tried pellets, mysis, and spirulina. I haven’t seen any evidence of external parasites, but I’m afraid that he might have some internally. I’m getting very worried that he won’t pull through, and he is one of my favorites. I put him in a mesh breeder box so I could observe him better. However, I have no clue what is going on with him, so I haven’t tried any meds, etc. for fear of stressing him out even more. I have a quarantine tank and supplies that I could set up if necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm really "down" on Midas blennies - I keep seeing issues with them getting skinny, going off food and then dying. I see it here fairly often and I've had issues with them myself. It is easy to chalk it up to internal parasites (and it very well could be that) but I also think they just are not fed enough and get skinny to the point where they have utilized their liver for energy, and then they go off feed and die from that damage.

With it currently not feeding, there isn't really a good way to get medication into it to treat for worms or protozoan parasites. You could possibly dose it with metronidazole in the water in a treatment tank, but I'm not very confident that will help - sorry!

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
N

NanoReefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm really "down" on Midas blennies - I keep seeing issues with them getting skinny, going off food and then dying. I see it here fairly often and I've had issues with them myself. It is easy to chalk it up to internal parasites (and it very well could be that) but I also think they just are not fed enough and get skinny to the point where they have utilized their liver for energy, and then they go off feed and die from that damage.

With it currently not feeding, there isn't really a good way to get medication into it to treat for worms or protozoan parasites. You could possibly dose it with metronidazole in the water in a treatment tank, but I'm not very confident that will help - sorry!

Jay Hemdal
Unfortunately, the poor blenny passed away last night. I wish there was something I could have done, or I had noticed his skinniness earlier than I did. He seemed so happy and stress free just a few days ago. He’s always been a slim little guy, but I didn’t realize just how thin he was until I looked at the plump, vibrant Midas Blennies at one of the LFS’s near me. I feel terrible that it had to happen like this, but I guess some things have to be experienced to be learned. Although, I might have avoided this altogether if only I had done the adequate research to know that it would be an issue. Thanks for providing your insight and happy reefing.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay Hemdal
Agreed. I love them but I can’t feed them as frequently as they need. I’ve accepted I’ll never own one :(

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back