Emergency MTRC meeting

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith has just left and problem was found within the first few minutes of him being here. A simple $20 or less TDS pen meter found the issue.
Without going into alot of detail at the moment. My water holding container had 350-360tds! The raw water coming out of the faucet is only 2!?!? I thought i had modified my rodi unti to work better but was actually making things alot worse with my modification.

A huge thanks goes to Keith and his family for coming out and helping me find a major problem and i should be able to get things back on track within a couple of months of water changes to drop the tds in my tank.

Glad you found it. Sometimes it is the obvious things that we overlook that cause the most problems. Sometimes it just takes a fresh set of eyes to figure it out.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow on the TDS! I knew it wasn't your parameters. But you would think with the TDS that high it would've effected your P04 and N03.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, if heavy metals have been deposited in your tank you might have a lasting effect. I would still run the poly filter that Ryan suggested.

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, if heavy metals have been deposited in your tank you might have a lasting effect. I would still run the poly filter that Ryan suggested.

Yes do that too the poly filters if I remember right change colors too I think and that may help with finding out what is go in to the tank

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. You need the kind that I linked. There are many impostures so buy the name brand stuff. It might be a little expensive but could lead you to your recovery.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And don't freak out if it just turns out brown it will only changes if there is copper or iron in your water

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg I was planning on coming down tomorrow. Im proud to see you got the problem fixed. I'll have some free frags for you when you are back on track. We need to hook up soon anyway.

Dylan J.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out turf to rattle some brains. But there are swing between day n night in your tank. Have u tested ur water at day n night to see if there's a big swing that could be stressing the sps n killing it off???

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent tested at nite but i can today. Are you referring to a alk swing and a ph swing?

I dose Kalk at nite only as reccomended to help with ph swings.

But ill test tonight to verify no big swings

Thanks
Greg

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do,

Im so glad people like Keith are in this club. He drove over a hour to get here and wouldnt accept anything in return for his help. I did talk to him on the phone after he left with a small concern. I do 100% agree he is right with its a water quaily issue but the container with the high tds reading is my W/C container. I have read that salt residue can give a high tds reading. I am changing a few things with my RODI unti to help ensure that i am getting 0tds from the unit and the brute container isnt leeching tds back into the water.

I am still open for anyone wants to come down to inspect the tank. Actually it would be great if everyone finds the same problem as Keith did. I seriously doubt anyone could find the issue as fast Keith did though ;) that guy was on a mission straight toward my RODI unit.

If it helps, i am available next weekend too. This way it might be easier for everyone to make arrangement to come down here.

Thanks for everyone's help so far

Greg

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, if you have salt residue in the container it will definitely dissolve into the RO/DI water and cause the TDS to go up. Can you test some of the water before it goes into the container?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back