Emergency MTRC meeting

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, if you have salt residue in the container it will definitely dissolve into the RO/DI water and cause the TDS to go up. Can you test some of the water before it goes into the container?

Definitely this!

And did you guys confirm what your salinity is?

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did, the tds meter was reading 2tds out of the faucet and about the same coming out of the membrane and 0 coming out of my DI chamber.

My dual tds meter reads-14 out of the faucet, 4- out of the membrane, 0 out of the DI chamber.

To clarify a little more into detail. I have Well water, Well water has high CO2 levels which will exhaust DI resin rapidly. So i have made a De-Gassing chamber to resolve this. I have a line coming out of the Membrane that would go into the DI chamber, i have it going into a ACE hardware 32gal container. I let it sit in there for atleast 24hrs with a airstone to drive out the CO2. Then i use a maxijet to pump water through the DI chamber into my 32gallon brute W/C container.

Last nite i did not have any water in the de-gassing container as i had just pump it all into my brute container a few days prior in preparation of doing another W/C.

So when we tested the brute container full RODI water that had been heated to 77F and had a small powerhead for circulation, it read 350-360tds. Our test was to use the maxijet pump to pump that 350tds water back through the DI chamber to see if my recently bought DI resin was already exhausted. We were getting 160tds out of the DI chamber that was reading 350tds.

Without much thought, we agreed that it was the maxijet pumping too much water through the DI resin too fast and pushing debris out of the DI resin into my water, resulting in a high TDS reading.

I am now making new water from the membrane into the de-gassing container which never has had salt in it. I will have results from this in a few hours.

Sorry for the long post, this is why i would rather explain this setup in person as its easier to explain. And im sure i didnt do a very good job explaining it well enough for everyone to understand.

Thanks
Greg

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you're on the right track now. Hope it works out and you start to see an improvement soon.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if i am just yet, way too early to know that, but with the help of the club members i will be able to make it.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First test experiment-The container that has 350+tds is reading 0% salinty on the refract.

2nd test is to drain and clean the brute W/C container and refill with 0tds water and see if any tds show up over some time.

Should have results of 2nd test later today.

Last edited:

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the container that has salt residue in it? If so, it probably will never read 0 TDS due to dissolving the salt.

Btw, not all well water is high in CO2. I drill them for a living and the water can vary greatly. I used mine for years with no RO on it with great results. I have since put one on it but still do water changes with well water if I'm in a hurry.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the container that has salt residue in it? If so, it probably will never read 0 TDS due to dissolving the salt.

Btw, not all well water is high in CO2. I drill them for a living and the water can vary greatly. I used mine for years with no RO on it with great results. I have since put one on it but still do water changes with well water if I'm in a hurry.

Yea thats the container im refering too.

I do have high co2 levels as i can only get about 60-90gallons through my DI resin before its exhausted. With this de-gassing setup my DI resin will last a year.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy you found the culprit! Use some sort of macro algae or ATS and it will help pull the CO2 that's left out of your tank.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy you found the culprit! Use some sort of macro algae or ATS and it will help pull the CO2 that's left out of your tank.

I got lots of cheato ;)

I dumped the brute container containing the 350tds water. I wiped it down and refilled it with 0tds rodi water. I just tested the water in the container and its reading 2-4tds. Im going to retest it tomorrow to see if the tds rises.

Im still asking people to come down and check things out. The more people who can show up the better i feel.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have a chance to test it again, Greg?

Brandon

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Confirmed 0tds from RODI
-Conflicting test results- would like to have more people come down with test kits to get other test results.
-Still thinking there is something in the water,maybe heavy metals or something else(Unconfirmed).
-Stray voltage(less than 20volts without ground probe) dont think thats a issue.
-0 ammonia and 0 nitrite

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Poly Filter Pad will tell you if you have any metals or anything in the water.

Did you mean 20 mV without a ground probe?

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Poly Filter Pad will tell you if you have any metals or anything in the water.

Did you mean 20 mV without a ground probe?

Idk, i had Daniel holding the meter and the one probe in the water. he was telling me to plug the the other probe into the outlet. I will ask him to see which it is.

Hopefully the poly pads arrive soon as im running out of issues to point the finger at.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused :-/

Yes i have a titanium ground probe in my sump.

We unplugged the ground probe to test for stray voltage and he said 20volts. Idk if that meant mV or not.

I then plugged my ground probe back in.

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a grounding probe in your tank stray voltage means nothing grounding probe will get it out or should

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back