OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you run you algae scrubber? I’m having a hard time trying to maintain a high ph. I have a IM 30long and I have chaeto in 2 chambers and use the IM Refuge light. It turns on as soon as lights go out and off when they turn back on, around 12 hrs. In order for my ph to rise I have to open the door and window every day to get it over 7.8, then it will drop from anywhere of 7.5-7.6
Hello @ReeferJay86,

My configuration might be a little different than most, I currently have an overlap of an hour (2hr total) from when the main tank lights go on, to when they turn off (total run time of 17hrs) for the scrubber. I also have a CO2 reactor (with tightly packed media) in place to control my pH as my basement/man-cave is VERY airtight and I don't have much air exchange unless I open the bulkhead (and interior) door/s.

I hover right around 8.1 - 8.3, however, the higher values are also equated to dosing soda-ash (Na2CO3) throughout the day/as needed.

Hope that answers your question?

Thx!!

Edit: Opening the door/s is not an option for me in the northeast with the cold, however, when I can my PH is much higher so I tend to remove the CO2 reactor in the spring and fall.

Last edited:

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @ReeferJay86,

My configuration might be a little different than most, I currently have an overlap of an hour (2hr total) from when the main tank lights go on, to when they turn off (total run time of 17hrs) for the scrubber. I also have a CO2 reactor (with tightly packed media) in place to control my pH as my basement/man-cave is VERY airtight and I don't have much air exchange unless I open the bulkhead (and interior) door/s.

I hover right around 8.1 - 8.3, however, the higher values are also equated to dosing soda-ash (Na2CO3) throughout the day/as needed.

Hope that answers your question?

Thx!!

Edit: Opening the door/s is not an option for in in the northeast with the cold, however, when I can my PH is much higher so I tend to remove the CO2 reactor in the spring and fall.
Yes, this does help me out. I tried dosing soda ash as little as possible, but it still managed to increase my alkalinity by around .4 or so.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First test additions...

84DB7F54-C57D-4DE7-8B73-5D67609F6EF0.png

...coloring up quite nicely, no visible tissue necrosis.
Been in the tank for 10days now, good nightly polyp extension.
All tips have healed from the trip home and are a white to blue/pruple.

Miyagi Tortuosa Acro.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:mad: Seems like the industry is going backwards lately!

$85 for the "New" Flipper Max FLOAT Algae Scraper just to find out its seal broke and filled with tank water!:confused:
Been rusting in my tank for a little over two-week, I don't have an issue with the price IF IT WORKS!

Edit: Seems it's not an isolated incident, found a video from Ryan BRSTv denoting the same thing!

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread! I’m about to restart my Reefer XL 425 after a recent crash and I’m replacing the stock Red Sea sump with a Trigger Platinum34. Your plumbing gave me a few ideas that I plan to incorporate into my design.

Nice work on your Apex gear as well. If you ever need any programming help, let me know. I’m the guy who wrote the Apex tutorial series here on R2R:

Keep up the good work! Happy reefing.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread! I’m about to restart my Reefer XL 425 after a recent crash and I’m replacing the stock Red Sea sump with a Trigger Platinum34. Your plumbing gave me a few ideas that I plan to incorporate into my design.

Nice work on your Apex gear as well. If you ever need any programming help, let me know. I’m the guy who wrote the Apex tutorial series here on R2R:

Keep up the good work! Happy reefing.
Thanks I appreciate that.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

...so before I got out three years ago; note, I’ve been in the Hobby since 2012, I would always scrub the hard shells of any snails prior to adding them into quarantine. At that time I've never had a death from doing this process.

CoralRX - brush and rinse
Flatworm exit - brush and rinse
(new step) Hydrogen peroxide - brush and rinse

What you don’t see in the picture is another container after all of this to keep them in, before adding them to the QT tank for 7days.

A6CB56D1-44A5-42CB-B1C9-2CCA55C72437.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It 100% pays to wait!

The day after adding this guy (along with four other frag‘s - all doing great) into the tank he went completely white, and he’s been like that ever since until this morning when I noticed a slight red hue and the encrusting along the bottom onto the rock itself.
4075B32C-A5D5-4EB6-B135-5B8CC9A2AD47.png

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It 100% pays to wait!

The day after adding this guy (along with four other frag‘s - all doing great) into the tank he went completely white, and he’s been like that ever since until this morning when I noticed a slight red hue and the encrusting along the bottom onto the rock itself.
4075B32C-A5D5-4EB6-B135-5B8CC9A2AD47.png
Hopefully it’s turning around and not just diatoms or algae forming on it. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m becoming a little bit of a risk-taker...

Added about six of these guys three (3) weeks ago, this one specifically had a cracked shell and a large chunk of the trap door was missing from his foot - fast forward to today and the shell growth/crack have completely healed up with good growth to boot!
0A2C0DAF-9A26-40B5-8E01-C1D5FBD02664.png

...it’s now well over 2 1/4-inches long and a voracious eater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back