I will try that in the morning when I get ro water
Thank you guys..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is velvet, very bad case of it too. :( I wish we lived closer as I would love to save that fish's life... it's a BEAUTIFUL Emperor Angel.

At the very least do the FW dip (above) before you go to bed tonight. That may buy you some time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also seeing a bacterial infection setting in, in a few places on the fish. Following this protocol gives you the best chance of saving the fish: http://reef2reef.com/threads/defeating-marine-velvet-disease.217570/

I lost at least 6-8 fish with velvet (I purposely look for fish with that disease) before finally developing this protocol. A member from my local forum is duplicating my success, using copper instead of CP, by finding fish with velvet to experiment on. So I know it works. :)

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them spots just showed up on him about 30 min ago.. I don't have any ro water made right now..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do a tap water dip or will that be to harsh?

Yes, but use a dechlorinator. Temp match the water to your DT and aerate for 30 mins beforehand. The spots will still be there after the dip, but it should clear his gills some so he doesn't die due to asphyxiation. Tomorrow you need to setup a QT ASAP and dose with copper. Also, look for any product with formalin or acriflavine.

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the qt can I set up next to my sump a 20gal tank just hob filter and pvc with tank water or new water? Will it cause a cycle?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to keep your QT at least 10 feet away from any other running tanks including your display.
You'll have to do daily water changes on the QT until it cycles.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to keep your QT at least 10 feet away from any other running tanks including your display.
You'll have to do daily water changes on the QT until it cycles.

^^ This

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed Dr. Gs medicated caviar, I havent lost a ich or velvet battle since ive tried this stuff. Ive saved so many fish with this caviar. I would not transfer fish to QT if they are severe, the added stress of being transferred will finish them off. I would do frequent water changes, keep them fed and eating, and feed this medicated caviar. I fed my fish twice a day, you'll notice a big difference in 24 hours.
CD-88109-74318R-fish.jpg

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my water in bucket with powerhead will put the fish in ther in 30 min

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?? Why are you going to argue with a man about treating fish when thats ALL he does?
Im not arguing with anyone, simply stating what ive witnessed. Who can tell me anything different from what ive witnessed and experienced. Just saying this stuff has worked great for me.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not arguing with anyone, simply stating what ive witnessed. Who can tell me anything different from what ive witnessed and experienced. Just saying this stuff has worked great for me.
You must be using it A LOT because you still have ich in your tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive witnessed it. feeding this twice a day supplementing regular feedings has saved all fish ive treated so far.

The active ingredient used in Dr. G's Anti-Parasitic Caviar Fish Food is Chloroquine phosphate. I dose this same drug in QTs @ 80mg/gal and that's still not enough to save fish with velvet unless I do a FW dip/chemical bath beforehand. So I have a hard time believing that CP laced food alone can save a fish with velvet. But with ich, I believe the food can be used as a management tool.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back