Emperor Angel with velvet

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish how can I start my qt without causing a cycle?

Get yourself an Aquaclear HOB power filter for the QT. These come with a foam insert/sponge that you can “seed” with nitrifying bacteria as found in the following products: Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said I still have ich? I havent had ich in about a year and a half. All fish have been great ever since they recovered.
Because there is no way a fish food kills the entire life cycle of ich. You might go 20 years without it, but i promise you its in that tank, dormant.

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The active ingredient used in Dr. G's Anti-Parasitic Caviar Fish Food is Chloroquine phosphate. I dose this same drug in QTs @ 80mg/gal and that's still not enough to save fish with velvet unless I do a FW dip/chemical bath beforehand. So I have a hard time believing that CP laced food alone can save a fish with velvet. But with ich, I believe the food can be used as a management tool.
I understand, maybe my fish have not had the disease to a terrible extent in which the food is just not enough. I was just stating an experience that worked out for me and others who ive recommended it to. Again, my experience with this stuff has been good so far.

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why I have @joshkirkland83 picking at me lol. OP i was just giving my opinion on your issue hoping it will help you. It worked for me, your choice whether to try it or not. I didnt come in here to test anyones knowledge on this topic. sorry for giving my opinion on this lol

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed... let's just focus on helping the OP with the immediate problem.

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done with the dip for 5 minutes but he looks worse now..

1448343383939.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done with the dip for 5 minutes but he looks worse now..

Velvet trophonts does a tremendous amount of damage to a fish's skin and inside the gills. Secondary bacterial infection is all but guaranteed. However, a FW dip will remove 80-90% of the parasites; as reported in two studies - Noga & Levy (1995) and Noga (2000).

If the fish is still alive in the morning, you will need to setup a QT, treat with copper and I would also buy a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex or Furan-2. Finding formalin or acriflavine would be a huge plus as well.

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my experience with ich. Tried using Cupermine on 4 occasions and didn't have luck with it. I was dosing and wasn't testing but did daily water changes to keep the ammonia levels down. Guess testing daily to keep it on that therapudic line is very important and that is where I failed. Then did hypo salinity which is very hard I found also because you have to bring it down slow and keep that low salinity exact; to high and it won't be therapudic and to low may stress and kill the fish. So I didn't have much luck with that either in my case. So after loosing many fish I decided medicating was not the solution for me and wanted to save my purple tang this time with tank transfer method. His body was covered and his eyes were now cloudy from infection. I fresh water dipped him and added Paraguard for a 5 minute dip. Put him in the new IKEA plastic bin that had new saltwater that matched the display's tank salinity and temperature along with 2 airs stones and a heater. Made sure I transferred him to another bin prepared days in advance before 72 hour marker went by. Fed him Hikari seaweed extreme soaked in Selcon daily and Hikari marine A. I chose pellets instead of frozen food because I didn't want to pollute the water that fast. I didn't run a hang on back filter. If water was getting dirty I would transfer after 48 hours. You could transfer earlier but not more than a 72 hour lapse. The recommended transfer session was 13 days. I continued this method for 20 days and he made a 100 percent recovery and his body and eyes are clear now. I made sure I sterilized the containers after each transfer. I also used a collender instead of a net for the transfers. He eventually got use to me picking him up and transferring him every couple of days. He seemed happy for the transfers because it would introduce him to a fresh and clean environment again. He is now finished with his treatment and is now in QT tank along with 3 other fish awaiting for the display tank to rid itself of ich. I use this time to reaquascape my display tank. I am personally very happy I found a natural solution in treating ich and will be using this method from now on. I think this method is less stressful for the fish, but it is a lot of work. But if you really care for your fish you will do what it takes I guess. Sorry for such a long post. Hope you could take some information from here that would help you.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why I have @joshkirkland83 picking at me lol. OP i was just giving my opinion on your issue hoping it will help you. It worked for me, your choice whether to try it or not. I didnt come in here to test anyones knowledge on this topic. sorry for giving my opinion on this lol
I apologize i wasnt trying to pick at you. Its just the OP seemed very desperate. His fish didnt look like they were going to make it through the night and Humblefish and melypr1985 were giving him a method that will 99% cure his fish and tank. You then say all he needs is a magic bottle of caviar at 1 o clock est at night and all will be well. Where would he get that in time to save the fish if it worked? I just didnt want the OP to be confused. It may have worked for you, but it couldnt save his fish being he didnt have it on hand.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like marine velvet, do you have any other fishes in your tank? It's highly contagious and I would recommend treating all of them with seachem cuprimine on a QT tank.
I've been through it and it is really difficult to set up a hospital tank on a fly. Not sure of your exact location but if you are near Queens NY I can try to help him. Can't guarantee it will make it since marine velvet is known to kill most if not all the fishes within hours once it is on its advanced stage

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. i went to bed and alot happened here.
@iamurri33 please keep us posted on the condition of your angel and the rest of your fish :) Hoping for the best.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should follow the instructions that others gave and get a cleaner wrasse they love to eat ick

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should follow the instructions that others gave and get a cleaner wrasse they love to eat ick

Not really. Plus his fish has Velvet not ich so doing that will only introduce velvet to the cleaner wrasse. It might survive that, but it's not nessessary or a cure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. i went to bed and alot happened here.
@iamurri33 please keep us posted on the condition of your angel and the rest of your fish :) Hoping for the best.

+1 Even if the Emperor doesn't make it, the other fish may still have a fighting chance and they ALL need to be treated ASAP. Velvet may look similar to ich, but it's a very different & much more dangerous pathogen. IME; velvet cannot be "managed" as ich sometimes is.

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what he looks like now. 10 hours after dip. All white dots are pretty much gone and turned into like a dead skin look. He isn't breathing as hard as he was yesterday but isn't breathing normally. My fairy wrasse also lost alot of his white dots.

1448382985479.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back