Empror juvenile starting to fade.

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I've purchased a juvenile empror 3 weeks ago now and he has been fine in my dt since having him. He's been eating fine until recently. He is still going to the frozen food and eating but he doesn't seem as eager.. he has a balanced diet of frozen foods including marine mixed and mysis shrimp.

Recently I have noticed his colour is starting to fade. He has no symptoms of ich or velvet. However I'm no expert in that field as I always qt my fish before going into the dt and my lfs is very good and always shows me the fish eating before selling to me.

I asked them for any ideas and they suspected ammo in the tank could cause this but I've checked and trippled checked with 0 every time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

20210821_113003.jpg 20210821_112946.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Emperor angels often react to skin infections by fading color. This blotchy coloration is a common symptom they show to ich or flukes. If you are positive you cannot see any white ich spots, then I would say this is flukes.

If you aren’t sure if this is ich, you could try posting closer pictures taken under white light, and I might be able t

The best treatment for flukes would be Prazipro. Alternatively, you could go with hyposalinity for 35 days.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the welcome! I've been meaning to join the community here for a while now.

I had a powder blue qt for ich a few weeks back. He unfortunately didn't recover. His white spots were easily diagnosed and I'm aware they are prone to ich etc.

Based on that I have experience with ich but I'm pretty sure I can't see any on my angel.

I have just fed them this morning with some frozen mysis which he had a good feed on.

I also dropped in a few pellets which he's decided to have a try on so he's eating.

I will put him into my qt tank and have the white light on there and get some better close ups for you to have a look at as I belive this could be early signs of something so I'd rather catch it quick than struggle later on!

Thanks for the quick response!

Simon.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the welcome! I've been meaning to join the community here for a while now.

I had a powder blue qt for ich a few weeks back. He unfortunately didn't recover. His white spots were easily diagnosed and I'm aware they are prone to ich etc.

Based on that I have experience with ich but I'm pretty sure I can't see any on my angel.

I have just fed them this morning with some frozen mysis which he had a good feed on.

I also dropped in a few pellets which he's decided to have a try on so he's eating.

I will put him into my qt tank and have the white light on there and get some better close ups for you to have a look at as I belive this could be early signs of something so I'd rather catch it quick than struggle later on!

Thanks for the quick response!

Simon.
If this angel was exposed to the tang, then this could be ich. It could also be ich AND flukes (ugh). I would give it a 5 minute FW dip as you move it to the QT and then get copper started right away.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I just got my angel into the qt tank (I did the fw dip when moving over) the qt tank has a fresh batch of water in and filters changed from when I had the tang in there.

Under the bright white light I have spotted a couple of white spots on its fin really difficult to spot!

This could be a good guess. I'm going to treat for both ich and flukes.

I currently have cupramine for ich.

Do you recommend anything better? My lfs is struggling to get meds in at the moment and this is what I have left from treating the tang.

Thanks again.

Simon.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I just got my angel into the qt tank (I did the fw dip when moving over) the qt tank has a fresh batch of water in and filters changed from when I had the tang in there.

Under the bright white light I have spotted a couple of white spots on its fin really difficult to spot!

This could be a good guess. I'm going to treat for both ich and flukes.

I currently have cupramine for ich.

Do you recommend anything better? My lfs is struggling to get meds in at the moment and this is what I have left from treating the tang.

Thanks again.

Simon.
Cupramine will work at 0.50 ppm against ich. However, in a NEW QT, you may see ammonia issues. You cannot use ammonia removing chemicals when dosing Cupramine. You will need to manage the ammonia below 0.25 ppm with water changes (ugh!) or live bacteria (possibly lots of it!).

Jay

OP
OP
S

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it also be beneficial to add some of my media from the sump of my dt into the qt to promote beneficial bacteria?

I will get dosing cupramine now and hopefully will see some improvement over the next few days!

I will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the support Jay! I really appreciate it.

Simon.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having an emperor angelfish, ich is very, very difficult to see on them. When they fade, the only way to see the ich is if it's on the black. It blends very well with the fish.

Would it also be beneficial to add some of my media from the sump of my dt into the qt to promote beneficial bacteria?
Any media will help. As long as it isn't rock based. As that seems to absorb copper.

GL with treatment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will get dosing cupramine now and hopefully will see some improvement over the next few days!

I will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the support Jay! I really appreciate it.

Simon.

Yes - any media you can add that has bacteria on it will help.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - any media you can add that has bacteria on it will help.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Just thought I'd update you on progress. He's doing brilliantly now. Eating better and his colour is starting to return. The QT tank is bare bottom and after first dose there were lots of white spots on the bottom.

He's more active now also.

Thank you for your help :)

Simon.

Back