EMS overflow vs Synergy Reef Shadow

iGotJokess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this has been discussed before, but this is my first reef build and im curious of everyone’s thoughts/opinions. I have a traditional 90gal, with a custom 40 gal breeder sump. Bottom glass is tempered so I gotta drill thru the back. Any recommendations are helpful. Also looking for a return pump for the setup

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, I just received mine from MM. I needed it to be a custom box, so I went with them. It’s a solid product. Very well made. I haven’t installed it yet though. Tank is still being built. EMS looks like a solid design also. The thing with Modular marine overflow is that the weir is removable for cleaning. But that makes it an unsealed design, which could be an issue for some. Their external box is also notched if you happen to have a standard rimmed tank.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into synergy and some of their reviews weren’t great. Some said the plastic is flimsy. Never seen one in person so couldn’t say for sure. MM told me they’ve had to replace a ton of synergy overflows. I don’t think you could go wrong with EMS or MM.

Last edited:

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too should be receiving my mod marine overflow this week, it took a little longer with the custom work but I had some great customer service on their end. I think their build quality and attention to detail put them over the top in my opinion

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at EMS overflow as well. I like it more than any of the other ones mentioned for few reasons. Their internal box is 32" so it gives much better surface skimming, their cutouts are not a bunch of "teeth" like all others have, but instead 5 long openings. In theory it should have less potential issues due to clogging and buildup. Their external box is shallow, so tank can be moved closer to the wall. Finally they still use 1" drains.

They have smaller box as well.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into synergy and was under the impression you can’t buy their boxes anymore. Without buying a tank anyways!!!

Synergy doesn't make Tanks so I'm not too sure where that impression came from? They only make overflows, Sumps, ATO and dosing containers...

@iGotJokess Exotic Marine Systems and Modular Marine are pretty much the top of the line when it comes to overflows. Fiji Cube and Eshopps are both excellent options as well

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy doesn't make Tanks so I'm not too sure where that impression came from? They only make overflows, Sumps, ATO and dosing containers...

@iGotJokess Exotic Marine Systems and Modular Marine are pretty much the top of the line when it comes to overflows. Fiji Cube and Eshopps are both excellent options as well
Totally right, I was getting synergy confused with reefsavvy I believe. I think I looked at too many overflows!!!! Lol.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally right, I was getting synergy confused with reefsavvy I believe. I think I looked at too many overflows!!!! Lol.

Lol I think you did too.

In all fairness Synergy USED to make the overflows for Reef Savvy. Now there Ghost (The only overflow that is actually a ghost overflow, drives me bananas when people call other overflows a Ghost overflow) overflows are made in house and are only available from Reef Savvy and Miracles Aquariums (Yes you can get them from one other builder) if you order a tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iGotJokess

iGotJokess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at EMS overflow as well. I like it more than any of the other ones mentioned for few reasons. Their internal box is 32" so it gives much better surface skimming, their cutouts are not a bunch of "teeth" like all others have, but instead 5 long openings. In theory it should have less potential issues due to clogging and buildup. Their external box is shallow, so tank can be moved closer to the wall. Finally they still use 1" drains.

They have smaller box as well.
You think the 32” on a 48” tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would concur that MM and EMS are the current cream of the crop in ghost-style overflows. I have both. I would give a slight build quality edge to MM, but I prefer the horizontal slots on the EMS to more traditional teeth. They both have the external box at the same level as the internal skim box which is a big deal if you want quiet, particularly at higher flow levels. Hard to go wrong with either.

On a 48” tank, a 20-24” internal skim box will work just fine.

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak directly for Fiji Cube overflows but I do have two of their other products and they are well made. I have used Modular Marine overflows in the past and they are great.

OP
OP
iGotJokess

iGotJokess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would concur that MM and EMS are the current cream of the crop in ghost-style overflows. I have both. I would give a slight build quality edge to MM, but I prefer the horizontal slots on the EMS to more traditional teeth. They both have the external box at the same level as the internal skim box which is a big deal if you want quiet, particularly at higher flow levels. Hard to go wrong with either.

On a 48” tank, a 20-24” internal skim box will work just fine.
Awesome i appreciate the input

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the EMS 32" overflow on my 75g (almost identical dimensions to your 90, just a few inches shorter) and LOVE it. I think it is the perfect overflow for a 48" tank. It is long enough that it is virtually a coast to coast, but leaves enough room for a return on either side of the overflow. I LOVE it!!!

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As few peeps already mentioned, yes that fine. You want box to be as long as you can, as it gives you most skimming area. Some people dont like this, and several of the companies mentioned dont even make boxes that are longer than 12", but in my opinion longer is better.

Rabidgoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the Synergy Shadow Overflow V2 but can't give much of a review as my tank isn't even built yet. I will say however it doesn't seem flimsy to me, in fact quite solid.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only drawback I see to em is the holes can allow small fish and inverts through, that’s what I have heard at least
If this is an issue, I have not experienced it. The only thing that has made it past mine is a peppermint shrimp that was already dying from being picked on by my melanarus wrasse.

OP
OP
iGotJokess

iGotJokess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the EMS 32" overflow on my 75g (almost identical dimensions to your 90, just a few inches shorter) and LOVE it. I think it is the perfect overflow for a 48" tank. It is long enough that it is virtually a coast to coast, but leaves enough room for a return on either side of the overflow. I LOVE it!!!
Did you push it to one side or did you center it and just choose a side for the return

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back