Encrusting acros touching

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As acros really encrust and spread out inevitably the encrusting spread touches with other acros. Does this typically lead to a ground fight with some bleaching on the very outer border of the weaker acro? I have two that seem to be in battle now for rock space to spread out.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may come to a truce but more likely the more aggressive one will start killing the other one back and growing over it. I had that happen with a red planet and the vinh acro. Eventually dragged the main part of the vinh off and moved it so it wouldn’t get completely covered by the red planet

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may come to a truce but more likely the more aggressive one will start killing the other one back and growing over it. I had that happen with a red planet and the vinh acro. Eventually dragged the main part of the vinh off and moved it so it wouldn’t get completely covered by the red planet
What size circumference do acros typically encrust around their base? 3 or 4 inches? Or much larger? The one that appears to be winning the fight has encrusted at least 4x4. The other is like 3x3 with about half inch end piece bleached now that is touching the larger one.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size circumference do acros typically encrust around their base? 3 or 4 inches? Or much larger? The one that appears to be winning the fight has encrusted at least 4x4. The other is like 3x3 with about half inch end piece bleached now that is touching the larger one.
Unfortuantely they will often encrust until they run out of space....

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the species. Certain species will base forever and others will only put down a little. It also can depend on flow a bit. All my acros usually base out for a while before doing any vertical growing. My garf bonsai was about 6” of base all around it.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the species. Certain species will base forever and others will only put down a little. It also can depend on flow a bit. All my acros usually base out for a while before doing any vertical growing. My garf bonsai was about 6” of base all around it.
The garf is what spread out the farthest and is hurting the other acro now.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One wins or you get what is called "no mans land" where they meet and neither coral can move forward. When one starts winning, I chip at the coral edges (occasionally ending up with those fragments growing in weird places lol
How do you chip them apart? I'm guessing the whole rock gets removed from the water and some basic coral tools then?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you chip them apart? I'm guessing the whole rock gets removed from the water and some basic coral tools then?

Sorta depends on how tough the corals are to break. You can use coral tools or what not (rinsed very well each time). The one's I have to deal with in my tank are kinds of montipora so its not too difficult in these cases.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorta depends on how tough the corals are to break. You can use coral tools or what not (rinsed very well each time). The one's I have to deal with in my tank are kinds of montipora so its not too difficult in these cases.
But out of the tank right?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the rock to a bucket or container of tank water, then work on it. If any chips are found in the bottom after, you can decide if it’s worth mounting to a frag and setting somewhere in the tank.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As acros really encrust and spread out inevitably the encrusting spread touches with other acros. Does this typically lead to a ground fight with some bleaching on the very outer border of the weaker acro? I have two that seem to be in battle now for rock space to spread out.
Acros play nice unlike softies with stingers

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to answer my question yes acropora can be grafted as long as they are similar ( but trying them close to each other is easy . Most acropora will do fine beside another .
the reason we always have left room is for growing and not to encroach each other , this on the other hand we want to happen

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different acro species wilm fight with each other. Sometimes a wall will form between the two, no man’s land, and they will coexist. That is usually not the case though and one will win out. They definitely do not play nice and just like in the wild are always fighting for space to soak in the light and outgrow competitors.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I thought so too but where the 2 acros encrusting bases are touching there is obvious conflict with some mild bleaching due to battle.
may be one shading over the other or one trying to encrust over the other.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back