Encrusting ID Needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefpaddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefpaddy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
141
Reaction score
117
Location
Westfield, NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help id'ing this encrusting coral and and suggestions on how to stop it growing further or eradicating it. It has long sweepers and seems to kill everything in ints path (red monti, green slimer and possibly death of a frogspawn)

IMG_8517.JPG
IMG_8514.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG
 
I’m still a little fuzzy when it comes to differentiating these two but what you have is most likely a pavona or leptoseris. But i would go with Pavona. These guys send out sweepers, so I’d suggest removing any corals near it as it looks like it will be difficult to remove the Pavona.
 
Yep definitely a pavona or lepto, though they really are the same thing in more ways than they aren't. Pavona typically have longer tentacles like what you're seeing however that is just a generalization. I could definitely see it taking out sps but it seems doubtful that is caused the death of the frogspawn, however that coral does seem to be going to battle and the physical warfare isn't the only thing going on so who knows.
If you want to remove it I'd consider taking out the rock it is encrusted to. It is a beautiful coral and could be isolated or sold to someone who has the space to keep it isolated. If you want to kill it there are certainly many methods that are easy as pie but I would try to keep it alive myself.
 
Thanks for the replies, Pavona it is. While i do really like it, unfortunately its on multiple rocks throughout my scape. I remember back a year or so ago trying to scrape off this horrid brown encrusting coral from a piece that i guess got dispersed throughout my tank but also colored up nice and green :) All rock in my reef has multiple corals so removal inst possible without a total re-scape. I guess attempting containment is my best option.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new