Encrusting ID Needed

reefpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help id'ing this encrusting coral and and suggestions on how to stop it growing further or eradicating it. It has long sweepers and seems to kill everything in ints path (red monti, green slimer and possibly death of a frogspawn)

IMG_8517.JPG
IMG_8514.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still a little fuzzy when it comes to differentiating these two but what you have is most likely a pavona or leptoseris. But i would go with Pavona. These guys send out sweepers, so I’d suggest removing any corals near it as it looks like it will be difficult to remove the Pavona.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep definitely a pavona or lepto, though they really are the same thing in more ways than they aren't. Pavona typically have longer tentacles like what you're seeing however that is just a generalization. I could definitely see it taking out sps but it seems doubtful that is caused the death of the frogspawn, however that coral does seem to be going to battle and the physical warfare isn't the only thing going on so who knows.
If you want to remove it I'd consider taking out the rock it is encrusted to. It is a beautiful coral and could be isolated or sold to someone who has the space to keep it isolated. If you want to kill it there are certainly many methods that are easy as pie but I would try to keep it alive myself.

OP
OP
reefpaddy

reefpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, Pavona it is. While i do really like it, unfortunately its on multiple rocks throughout my scape. I remember back a year or so ago trying to scrape off this horrid brown encrusting coral from a piece that i guess got dispersed throughout my tank but also colored up nice and green :) All rock in my reef has multiple corals so removal inst possible without a total re-scape. I guess attempting containment is my best option.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back