Ender 3 printer

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one :). The reddit, Facebook and thingiverse community is also very active. I learned pretty much everything exclusively from YouTube

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one :). The reddit, Facebook and thingiverse community is also very active. I learned pretty much everything exclusively from YouTube
How do you get things from tinkered or thingiverse to the printer to actually print it out? All I can do right now is the stuff pre loaded to the SD card

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar built version. I’ll help if I can. What’s up?

Same question as the one below. I figured out how to turn it on and some stuff like that but if you have any other tips or things to know that would be awesome

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get things from tinkered or thingiverse to the printer to actually print it out? All I can do right now is the stuff pre loaded to the SD card

Got Ender 3 here too. Yes, the only way to get stl files to your ender is by taking your micro sd card to your PC, downloading stl files and then taking sd card back to ender.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same question as the one below. I figured out how to turn it on and some stuff like that but if you have any other tips or things to know that would be awesome
Got Ender 3 here too. Yes, the only way to get stl files to your ender is by taking your micro sd card to your PC, downloading stl files and then taking sd card back to ender.

Guys, I’m sure @Ranjib will agree, but you guys need to check out Octoprint.

It lets you control your printer from your pc or phone, using a raspberry pi installation. You can direct upload stl files from your pc to the sd card in the printer via the web interface.

Real time temp anslydus, control of all steppers, extruder, lights.
I have my printer in the basement (actually literally finished my more permanent install today, so back to printing next week) and my pc with slicer software, fusion cad etc is in my second floor office.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely want to check out Youtube, Redit or Facebook!! Ender 3 has a huge community and people are pretty willing to help.

Here are my tips:
  • Make sure you have a level Bed
  • Infill - You don't need as much as you think. 4mm between infill is plenty
  • Use the Test prints to hone in your printer
  • Just like Reefing GO SLOW (Print Slow) for sure on the outer walls, and almost always on most prints GO SLOW
  • If you are getting strings you are printing to hot, if your filament isn't really glued together your printing to cool
  • If you are new use Cura 4.0 (Link) as it is free and is a great slicer
    • Make sure you learn this program as it will be the key to good prints besides the basics above
    • Fan Speed only needs to be set to 35%
Have fun!!! It is super satisfying to have something go from Sketchup that you made to something in real like that you use!! Lots of fun for anyone that is a true DIY'r. Good Luck!!

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips On How to do that? Like how do I convert it to stl and how do I download it to the SD card?

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely want to check out Youtube, Redit or Facebook!! Ender 3 has a huge community and people are pretty willing to help.

Here are my tips:
  • Make sure you have a level Bed
  • Infill - You don't need as much as you think. 4mm between infill is plenty
  • Use the Test prints to hone in your printer
  • Just like Reefing GO SLOW (Print Slow) for sure on the outer walls, and almost always on most prints GO SLOW
  • If you are getting strings you are printing to hot, if your filament isn't really glued together your printing to cool
  • If you are new use Cura 4.0 (Link) as it is free and is a great slicer
    • Make sure you learn this program as it will be the key to good prints besides the basics above
    • Fan Speed only needs to be set to 35%
Have fun!!! It is super satisfying to have something go from Sketchup that you made to something in real like that you use!! Lots of fun for anyone that is a true DIY'r. Good Luck!!

Ok awesome thank you, I plan on doing really small stuff to start out with and bigger stuff eventually

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also by any chance do you have any reef related things that are small that are already ready to print with the Ender 3 you could email me to try to download?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want something already sliced and ready to go? I dont think so but if you send a link I can run it through the slicer and send you the GCode

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From thingiverse you’ll get the design file, generally in stl format , then you use a slicer software (I use Cura ) to slice and produce a gcode file which is understood by the printer . Put that gcode file in sd card and insert it in 3d printer, press few buttons.. voila

Illl recommend order the printer and filament and then watch 3 top videos from edge of tech , chep and teaching tech on getting started with ender 3. That should be plenty

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I’m sure @Ranjib will agree, but you guys need to check out Octoprint.

It lets you control your printer from your pc or phone, using a raspberry pi installation. You can direct upload stl files from your pc to the sd card in the printer via the web interface.

Real time temp anslydus, control of all steppers, extruder, lights.
I have my printer in the basement (actually literally finished my more permanent install today, so back to printing next week) and my pc with slicer software, fusion cad etc is in my second floor office.
I exclusively use octoprint. But I think the op is very beginner and will not recommend at this point. Other than that familiarity with computer is also another key aspect . Without them octoprint setup can be harder. But yes, it’s awesome, I use it from day one , I fact I set it up before the printer came and I’m also Gina ‘s proud patron :) . It’s a software reef-pi takes inspiration from

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also by any chance do you have any reef related things that are small that are already ready to print with the Ender 3 you could email me to try to download?
There are frag plugs, various equipment bracket, and many many more things. Check under the diy section there’s a dedicated thread on 3d printed parts

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are frag plugs, various equipment bracket, and many many more things. Check under the diy section there’s a dedicated thread on 3d printed parts
By ludnix? Or someone else?

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From thingiverse you’ll get the design file, generally in stl format , then you use a slicer software (I use Cura ) to slice and produce a gcode file which is understood by the printer . Put that gcode file in sd card and insert it in 3d printer, press few buttons.. voila

Illl recommend order the printer and filament and then watch 3 top videos from edge of tech , chep and teaching tech on getting started with ender 3. That should be plenty

I have the printer and filament ready to go and built and even printed part of the sample prints but can’t figure out how to do custom designed stuff

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want something already sliced and ready to go? I dont think so but if you send a link I can run it through the slicer and send you the GCode
Ok I wasn’t sure if that is a thing that is even possible or not.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 53 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back