Endless Cycling since 30th August

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time to choose a fish disease protocol. specifically, don't buy fish from the pet store and add them right into the tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how updated cycling works as of 2021, sourced from literally thousands of web posts the last two decs across multiple forums:

-everybody has been hyperfocusing on cycling params using kits that report a little imperfectly at times, and completely excluding fish disease preparations seen in the fish disease forum here. there are multiple steps needed before adding fish into this display.

-now that highly accurate assessment tests are available like seneye, we are amassing so many posts using them that new timing for cycling reefs tanks is emerging, and things are getting done much faster than the old ways ever thought possible. so, the effect is that people can carry fish much faster nowadays and this has led to introducing pet store fish without any preps, straight into our tanks.

and those fish get disease and die fast, within the first eight months, tracking data shows. so we must take any cycled/ready reef like yours, and choose a fish disease prep option from here, now that you're ready to reef:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for example, you just brought up a dry start reef, there's no inherent fish disease in it.

so, if you input only quarantined fish, you keep that standard of control very high.

but if buy buy healthy looking specimens from the pet store, they're secretly disease-laden anyway just not expressing (yet) and your whole tank will be infected most likely. as soon as one of your new added fish gets weak, things happen as shown in that forum for no prep tanks.

you have a dosed and supported cycle that has been in place equal to a common cycling chart, so your cycle is done, now the best option is to control fish disease to the highest degree you can research.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

case in point

OP
OP
M

mofebubi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cycling still continues…..
Now NO2: 0,2; NO3: 0,1; NH4: 0,05.
I add 30ml of microbe special blend bacteria and food.
I am confused as I started on 30th August, but I take all the rock out of the tank on 8th September to do some aquascaping so I think my cycle has restarted on 8th September….
Any way, I am eager to see NO2 value in 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not that your cycle continues, its that you're factoring nitrite when we don't, and basing your cycle on total ammonia when in fact its ready once you convert it to nh3, which is the only form reefing cares about. I know old rules say to factor nitrite, it’s confusing.

it helps to know old rules also once said no reef under fifteen gallons would be stable and we see how that turned out

per your results posted again, your cycle is done, but only if you agree to use updated cycling science. you can also wait 3 more months for the old ways to possibly catch up too if you prefer that way.

time to choose a fish disease protection approach from the link above. you wouldnt factor nitrite at all when using updated cycling science. it has you buying speed cycle bottle bac, and then waiting 3x longer than a common cycling chart shows to wait, that's why we don't test for it.

once you change your ammonia report above into nh3, and check those levels on the safety chart, you can clearly see your cycle is done. It won’t harm your fish, it’s safe now.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back