Engineer Goby sick?

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish i have a engineer goby and recently he looks like he's to skinny and what looks like large white spots are on his back tail.. I will post pics but it's hard to see since he never stops moving.. I can't get a good pic
@Brew12

IMG_5121.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juveniles have lengthwise striping, and resemble the venomous coral catfish. Adults have vertical barring, and look ... a lot like yours.

Not sure what do do with those lesions. If that was my fish, I might consider an Acriflavine or formalin bath, possibly antibiotics - and definitely would want to make sure his water conditions and quality food intake are in top form. Wouldn't be surprised if you'd need some of Seachem's "Focus", but not sure what to use it with.

If any of those folks you tagged in your initial post tell you anything different ... please listen to them!!

~Bruce, mostly intrigued and along for the ride

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Bruce, it's hard to tell from the photos but white patches are often bacterial. It could be a small injury that got infected. It might clear up on its own with clean water and feeding vitamin-enriched foods. If it starts to get worse or spread, I would consider pulling for an acriflavine bath, and transferring to QT for antibiotics.

As for being too skinny, is it eating well? Was this fish ever dewormed (metroplex)? If it's eating, but not gaining weight, it could be internal parasites. You could try binding metroplex to food with focus and feeding it twice a day for 10 days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the white patches been there? Is this new? Is he currently eating or behaving strangely? FWIW that is definitely an adult engineer goby and they spend their time in the sand and rocks moving things around, digging, burrowing, ect. They can often come up with a scrape or two especially if a rock stack shifts under their construction. If he's eating well still and not acting weird, then I would think he'll be ok and be able to heal on his own. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to move him to QT and observe.... being ready to dose antibiotics of course in case it gets worse.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.7%
Back