Enlarge a glass hole

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone drilled a slightly larger hole in place of an existing hole in glass...

Ive got a 180 gallon reef ready tank with an internal overflow, but the overflow is drilled for one large drain and two 3/4 in returns. I would like to do a bean animal overflow (and run the returns through the back) but don't feel comfortable using a 3/4 emergency drain. So I'm considering drilling out the holes slightly larger to accept either 1 in or 1.25 in bulkheads.

I've drilled glass before, not worried about that, but I'm a little worried about the holes chipping out because the new hole will only be a couple of millimeters bigger than the existing hole.

Here's a shot down the overflow. The middle hole will accommodate an 1.5in bulkhead, the two on the sides will fit a 3/4 in bulkhead.
20201229_144330.jpg

Thoughts?

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of holes in a small, space. Are you drilling from the bottom? Do you have a jig to hold your drill ? I've done it before but the hole was much larger than the hole I was replacing or drilling outside of.

OP
OP
atnet360

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of holes in a small, space. Are you drilling from the bottom? Do you have a jig to hold your drill ? I've done it before but the hole was much larger than the hole I was replacing or drilling outside of.
I would be drilling from the bottom. Yes, I have (or would make) a jig.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone drilled a slightly larger hole in place of an existing hole in glass...

Ive got a 180 gallon reef ready tank with an internal overflow, but the overflow is drilled for one large drain and two 3/4 in returns. I would like to do a bean animal overflow (and run the returns through the back) but don't feel comfortable using a 3/4 emergency drain. So I'm considering drilling out the holes slightly larger to accept either 1 in or 1.25 in bulkheads.

I've drilled glass before, not worried about that, but I'm a little worried about the holes chipping out because the new hole will only be a couple of millimeters bigger than the existing hole.

Here's a shot down the overflow. The middle hole will accommodate an 1.5in bulkhead, the two on the sides will fit a 3/4 in bulkhead.
20201229_144330.jpg

Thoughts?
I have done it successfully with 6 holes...nerve-wracking for sure. You need to make sure that bottom pane is not tempered glass if you decide to try it. I used a piece of plywood and drilled a hole the same size as my glass bit, clamped it to the outside of my tank and a second piece on the inside as a backer on the glass..then just let the weight of the drill carry the bit through the glass.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put a piece of duct tape on the inside so that you can do the clay, water technique from the bottom

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You need a jig to hold the bit in place. Water for cooling - slow and steady wins the race.

That is like someone already mentioned ......after you ensure the bottom isn't tempered.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it before to go from 3/4" to 1" and 1" to 1.5". Double check the glass is not tempered. A jig is needed if a suction cup drill press is not being used. Also use tape on the glass to hold in the cutting coolant and let the bit do the work. Also tape with a piece of wood or plastic clamped in place can help to avoid chipping as the bit passes through the backside of the glass.

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second some good tape like duct tape, also let the cutter and weight of the drill do the work. No races to win here by going fast.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to tackle this myself. 29g aqueon. I drilled the back years back, realized the template from eshoppes made it to low in the tank. So I decided to try to use it as a live food tank.
20220828_114439.jpg
I drilled the bottom with wrong bit at first. The holesaw fit over the base of the bulkhead, so I was like, yup that is it. Nope, too much slop play and I do not trust it, especially since it is on the bottom. Wish my glass hole saws had writing on them, or knew where my calipers were at. It was a 2 inch holesaw when i ment to use the slightly smaller metric. Made a template with 1/8inch scap wood. It jumped a bit at start but am not worried about unsightly scratches.

Now I am using the 1.5 holesaw bit that came with the eshoppes overflow, bought an additional 1.5 bulkhead.

Bout to start drilling..
20220828_123239.jpg

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... SUCCESS
20220828_124410.jpg
I wanted a glass donut, should have put a towel down..
20220828_124638.jpg
Came out great!

Really no different then drilling normally, just more water splashing on my feet.

10/10 Would do it again

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if the hole isn’t much big I would think a glass file or some sort of sander would be the safer bet.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the dremel in my garage mess, but not the various bits. Need to really work on organizing. Used what I immediatly had. Never dremeled glass before, maybe in the future.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back