Enough light for a clam?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this spot in the bottom front enough light for a clam? My light is a 8x80w T5 with 2 reefbrites.

6e4db16bad9ea021c0c4cc2369eaadaa.jpg

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A maxima would do great in your tank with that light but just not in that spot. Blue squamosa look good too.
20190101_093410.jpg

That is really pretty too. Would a maxima do good on the bottom but in the middle? I could move the acans to the corner with the lower light and put the maxima clam in the middle bottom with a lot more light

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the par on the bottom. Maximas are rock dwellers but you can always put a rock under the maxima. Once it gets large enough it can detach as the shell will be heavy enough to stay put. Maximas can be grown on the bottom but they really do need a lot of light. There's also nice squamosa clams that have blue spots. Our large one was a nice dark brown with blue spots. If it's your first clam I typically recommend squamosa or derasa.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Depends on the par on the bottom. Maximas are rock dwellers but you can always put a rock under the maxima. Once it gets large enough it can detach as the shell will be heavy enough to stay put. Maximas can be grown on the bottom but they really do need a lot of light. There's also nice squamosa clams that have blue spots. Our large one was a nice dark brown with blue spots. If it's your first clam I typically recommend squamosa or derasa.

Alright awesome I will look more into those! Thanks a lot for the help so far

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back