Enough light for corals??

cookiehouse79765

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this is enough lights for corals? It’s two marineland LED 48 inches and a aqueon 48 inch LED on a 48 inch tank 8o gallon tank.

E0FF59F0-4941-4B33-8402-FFDE6F171CD2.jpeg 0C5A611C-8889-4251-8A4A-517DC5F2D7E3.jpeg

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Or post them up! The Marineland lights are a good choice! Sorry if there's been any negativity from some. They are not all or even most. Welcome to reef2reef!!!

Upvote 0

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will grow corals. Apologies for the peanut gallery. People grew corals stuff under t8 flourescent lights once upon a time.

To answer the question, yes your lights are capable of supporting lights. They will not grow SPS corals, they likely won't provide light for some LPS. You can add all the soft corals like leathers, toadstool, mushrooms you want. Probably would be fine with trachyphyllia, down the round if you are feeling especially confident go grab a $10 head of frogspawn and see what happens. Flow, parameters, stability and lighting are all important. Those lights are good enough to get your foot in the door and learn the other side of the hobby.

The decorations isn't my style but you do you. I bet there is more surface area on there for biological support than some of "NSA" minimalist builds and nobody raises concern there.

Take your time, watch your parameters and go slow. Eventually I'd suggest transitioning to all live rock. Order some from KP, Gulfliverock, or others and I'm sure the life on there will amaze your kid(s) more than the plastic and bubbles. White dry rock looks like garbage for a year and while it ensures you will be sterile and pest free most things that come on liverock are coming in eventually anyways unless you are near clinical level OCD

Welcome to the party.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t listen to these haters. And don’t let them discourage you from the process.

Research as much as you can and learn from the respectful pros on here. Time and patience is key.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back