Enough light for corals??

cookiehouse79765

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this is enough lights for corals? It’s two marineland LED 48 inches and a aqueon 48 inch LED on a 48 inch tank 8o gallon tank.

E0FF59F0-4941-4B33-8402-FFDE6F171CD2.jpeg 0C5A611C-8889-4251-8A4A-517DC5F2D7E3.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The decorations came from a place that makes saltwater decorations so I guess they need to figure out their stuff idk.
Did not know this. It's most likely gel coated to withstand the marine environment. Just be aware, it will eventually get covered in algae.

Upvote 0

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sand is fine. pick up some starter corals softies or lps whichever you like. make sure you have some flow(looks like maybe thats a powerhead top right?) try them out in that center area. I think as you start adding some live coral you will be happy! good luck

Upvote 0

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters at? Will help to know what may or may not live. But the recommendations on what corals to put in are good ones. They’re less likely to die and easier to take care of. Some corrals just needs more specific environments to thrive in.

Upvote 0

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And don’t listen to anybody making comments about the tank. All us parents know kids get whet they want. They need to be involved in the hobby too and it’s great to let them make some of the decisions. I don’t know much about if what’s in there is safe though. You know whet it is and can do your research on it.

Upvote 0

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three penn plex 1000 canister filters with plenty of filter and media to keep my water in perfect parameters. I have had this tank going for a year and a half with fish and clean up crew. We have snails hermits and emerald crabs. We just put our fish in like 8 months ago and we’re all small and getting bigger. I guess this place was the wrong place to ask for help and a good place to get ridiculed.
Let me make this very clear, my intent was not to ridicule. I apologise for sounding condescending. This is not the wrong place to ask, and once again this was not attempting to ridicule you. I was just raising a concern which I could I have conveyed and articulated better. My main concern was regarding filtration and since you have elaborated on your setup, I shall comment no further. Will be looking forward on updates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aabucki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel compelled to respond to some of the negative comments to OP's request for assistance. We all started out with little to no knowledge when we found Reef2Reef, which has helped all of us in one way or another, which speaks to the popularity of this forum. We all don't have the luxury of living in South Florida (Zeal) so we all have different levels of experience. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't one of the benefits of this forum to share information and knowledge without the fear of intimidation and bullying? We should be lifting others up rather than putting others down. Sorry for venting, but it needed to be said.

Upvote 0

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any putting down?! I pointed out things i didnt like. I also said it didnt matter much if u read the posts...
The deco is coated in epoxy usually. Ive already said this. The only reason ppl use rock is because its porous. The deco will still provide surface area.
Sorry i even commented here.

The op is gonna spend $ on animals in a fish tank for her family.
With proper flow yes i think her lights are strong enough for soft coral.
I would reccomend a hang on back protein skimmer over the cascade internal filters.

We are not ridiculing. We are pointing out red flags. Signs. Jeez.
You dont need a par meter to tell bright light vs. Dim. Lol!
D

Upvote 0

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a par meter to tell bright light vs. Dim. Lol!
D

We cannot with our human eyes tell whats the right output for corals(sure we can tell dim from bright). So yes a par meter when not running traditional reef lights is needed.

For instance a certain "fish" company sells a "reef" light. Sure it's super bright, but only puts out about 50 par. According to you thats plenty of light because, well it's bright. But we all know 50 par won't grow anything.

So yes a par meter, or even a lux meter would serve the OP well if he wanted to know how those lights will work, and what he/she can grow under them.

Upvote 0

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely disagree 100%.

So I suppose skimmers, LED lights, ATS's, ATW's, etc are all just stuff for people to sell?

You do realize that just 20 years ago were weren't able to keep the types of corals we have now, simply from using a par meter to know what light these corals need to thrive.

Upvote 0

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marineland "reef" lights will grow coral, slow, but they will. I had 4, 48" ones on my 190 then my 180.

Here's everything a couple days after transferring everything from the 190 to the 180.

And these corals only ever had the marineland lights on them up until this point

MVIMG_20191012_190626.jpg
IMG_20191006_182147.jpg

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely disagree 100%.

So I suppose skimmers, LED lights, ATS's, ATW's, etc are all just stuff for people to sell?

You do realize that just 20 years ago were weren't able to keep the types of corals we have now, simply from using a par meter to know what light these corals need to thrive.
I was a skeptic too about par meters but recently picked one up secondhand and noticed that my lighting was significantly lower than I thought.

I’m running 2 Radion g5 xr30s on my RSR 425 xl and thought if I had them turned up half way that I would have plenty of light. Wrong!

Noticing SPS colors starting to pop now that the I’ve upped the par!

8472E15E-3892-4F0A-9267-A9D72E5790BC.jpeg

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back