Ensure clownfish remain male

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all,
This is not a fish disease related post, but it is related to quarantine!
It’s been awhile since I’ve been on R2R, but I need some advice. I’ve had my clownfish for about 6 months now(alone, not pair), and want to introduce a male. My quarantine procedure includes copper for a month and deworming, so how would I ensure that a male in quarantine does not change sex and fight with my current female? I’ve heard 4-6 weeks without a female is when most males will turn? Any advice #reefsquad

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey y’all,
This is not a fish disease related post, but it is related to quarantine!
It’s been awhile since I’ve been on R2R, but I need some advice. I’ve had my clownfish for about 6 months now(alone, not pair), and want to introduce a male. My quarantine procedure includes copper for a month and deworming, so how would I ensure that a male in quarantine does not change sex and fight with my current female? I’ve heard 4-6 weeks without a female is when most males will turn? Any advice #reefsquad
It varies amongst clowns. Clownfish are born gender neutral. They are not male nor female at birth and as juveniles. The other thing that makes sexing clownfish difficult is that they can become male and then female. This means that a juvenile clownfish can turn into a male, and the same clownfish can later change sexes to become a female. Once they become female they cannot change back to male.
So, this is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish: There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger (often much larger) than the male. Next are non-mating males and juveniles. They are usually smaller still than the dominant male. If the male mate were to die, the next dominant male would become the mate if the female accepts him. If the female were to die, then the dominant male would change to female and the next male in line would become the mate.
This does not guarantee that they will mate. You will be able to tell which is the female because she will be much more aggressive. Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go. This will go on until the male submits or is killed by the female.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies amongst clowns. Clownfish are born gender neutral. They are not male nor female at birth and as juveniles. The other thing that makes sexing clownfish difficult is that they can become male and then female. This means that a juvenile clownfish can turn into a male, and the same clownfish can later change sexes to become a female. Once they become female they cannot change back to male.
So, this is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish: There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger (often much larger) than the male. Next are non-mating males and juveniles. They are usually smaller still than the dominant male. If the male mate were to die, the next dominant male would become the mate if the female accepts him. If the female were to die, then the dominant male would change to female and the next male in line would become the mate.
This does not guarantee that they will mate. You will be able to tell which is the female because she will be much more aggressive. Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go. This will go on until the male submits or is killed by the female.
Sound good.
The Fish stores near me usually group clowns in the same tank of up to 10-12, so I generally choose the smallest healthiest one I can find. My concern is their gender change during isolation. There wouldn’t be any other fish with them during qt. So regardless if I get them as male or without sex, how would I make sure they do not turn female?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sound good.
The Fish stores near me usually group clowns in the same tank of up to 10-12, so I generally choose the smallest healthiest one I can find. My concern is their gender change during isolation. There wouldn’t be any other fish with them during qt. So regardless if I get them as male or without sex, how would I make sure they do not turn female?
At purchase- Found out if wild caught or tank raised. Wild, susceptible to Brooklynella (clown disease)
Assure no hazy skin appearance, eating, breathing normally and swimming normally

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then you risk losing the female too. It looks even riskier than leaving the single male in it.
That’s also a good point. I’m honestly leaning towards just not getting a second clown and getting another type of fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back