OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job leveling! What did you use to shim? I never can decide on rock placement either. And I usually change again once I start adding corrals. My rock is an organic thing, lol.

Believe it or not I got lucky and it was level without any need to shim!

I am the same way with the aquascape. I am sure this will change some over time, but I am satisfied for now..lol..

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank build has been moving a little slow due to the holidays and other commitments, but I did get my lights up and the tank is more than half full of water. The plumbing would have been done today except for a couple of issues with the metric pieces that come with Cadlight tanks. We have a work around and will be done tomorrow and almost ready to test it out. I have one more AI Hydra 26 coming and my skimmer will be here on Thursday. If nothing leaks with the plumbing I should have it running with salt by Friday and can get the cycling started.
980CD607-CED4-43A3-83E4-AF53705BC7F3.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I still don't have my tank plumbed :(. The included parts are all metric and at first I thought this wouldn't be a problem, but as it turns out it is. The bulkhead for the durso drain will not stop leaking and my dh says it is because of the threads. Bottom line I need a new bulkhead. I measured the hole and it is slightly smaller then 2". I think a 1" standard bulkhead should fit and we will make our own durso standpipe. I can buy all the supplies locally. We are in the middle of a snow storm today so this will have to wait until Friday at the earliest.

It seems most people end up changing out the plumbing with their Cadlights tanks. I am fortunate that the size of the hole on my tank works with a standard bulkhead. I am very happy with my tank just not the supplied plumbing parts. By the time we are done the only stock plumbing parts we will have used are the emergency drain.

On a better note, I got my AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 skimmer and it looks to be a great quality. I can't wait to see how well it works on this tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That plumbing sounds like a nightmare! Hopefully the rest goes smoothly

Yes it has been. It is a shame because I love the tank, stand, and sump. I wish I had just asked to have the tank ready for standard US plumbing. I have 2 bulkheads coming tomorrow. One is threaded and one is slip. I wanted to be prepared for either depending on the parts I can get to build my durso standpipe. I have everything crossed that we will be able to get this done tomorrow night or Saturday at the latest and I can finally get my tank filled up and running.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success :) My tank is plumbed and no leaks!!! I will get the sump and tank completely filled and salt added this weekend.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been busy at work the past few days so I haven’t had time to work with my tank. I will have salt in it tomorrow night hopefully :). My wonderful and handy hubby built me a stand so I can have two large brute containers in the same amount of space for mixing water. I am enjoying working on this build with my dh. He isn’t really into the hobby so much, but he helps so with all of the projects. I couldn’t do this without him. :)
FEAB1306-2621-4832-849C-C9FE575787F1.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is officially cycling starting yesterday. I added some ceramic media that has been sitting in my 95g for over a month. I also added a small piece of live rock to help seed the bacteria. I am pretty happy with how everything turned out. The only thing I want to change now are the light rails. I don’t like the ones that came with the tank. I will use them for now while I look into something better. I am still working on cord organizing and I need to get my light for the fuge installed.
I am placing an order for cheato, pods, and a few other goodies from Indio Pacific Sea Farms tonight. I want to add some of their live sand activator to get more bacterial diversity in the system.
E8A936F1-DC5D-4E9D-B317-1FF918DAAA64.jpeg
E8A936F1-DC5D-4E9D-B317-1FF918DAAA64.jpeg
A17A06EC-222C-446A-A025-0A3BBBE9F427.jpeg
AA7029C3-AD85-45DE-BFB7-48C0482458C6.jpeg

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my skimmer fired up today and it was super easy to adjust. I am running my sump right at 11" depth so I elevated it up 3" so it would be at the correct depth of 8-9". It started a nice foam head almost right away. I also hooked up my ATO and hung my fuge light. I really really wish heaters, pumps, and equipment in general came with longer cords. I have had to use extension cords for way too many pieces of equipment!! I am planning to label all the cords to make my life easier. I am looking forward to moving my scopas and firefish out of qt in a few weeks. I will probably wait another month after that before I take down my 95g and move the fish & corals over.
180_1_14_18.JPG
180_ATO_res.JPG
180_ATO.JPG
180_skimmer.JPG

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain with short cords! I never understood why they are so short. Even just going down the side of a large tank you need at least 5ft and that's not counting if you have to go further to get to an outlet. WE NEED LONGER CORDS!!!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. So good to see you taking your time and doing things right. There are always highs and lows in starting a tank up. Know we are there with you as you progress. Looking to start mine soon as well. Not nearly as nice though!

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. So good to see you taking your time and doing things right. There are always highs and lows in starting a tank up. Know we are there with you as you progress. Looking to start mine soon as well. Not nearly as nice though!

Thank you!! This is my first tank above 100g and it has definitely been a learning experience. Do you have a build thread yet for yours? I would love to follow it if you do. I am sure it is going to be nice. My 95g was bought used in 2008 so this will be my first brand new tank in over 10 years.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hubby got my water change plumbing hooked up on Monday. I now have PVC with a gate valve running from my garage under the house and back up into the room where my tank is.
plumbing.jpg
IMG-0847.JPG

This is going to make it very easy to refill my tank after a water change and also to fill my ATO container. My scopas and firefish are waiting patiently in their qt tank for the new tank to be ready. It will be like the old tv show the Jefferson's, " Moving on up to a deluxe Apt. in the sky" lol... excuse the crappy phone pic
scopas.jpg

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so jealous! I wish I could do automatic water changes. I will have to settle on running a hose to sink, and then to basement pump up water but hey it's better then buckets!!!

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this tank is going to cycle. The seeded ceramic and marine pure handled the 2.0 ppm of ammonia that I added within 12 hours. I put a sea chem badge in the tank just so I can keep an eye on the ammonia and it has never moved from the safe level. I will be receiving my order from Indio Pacfic Sea Farms today. I ordered some live sand activator, ISPF Wonder Mud, reef worms diversity pack, coraline booster, amphipods, micro hermits and grazers, and lastly some chaeto and calupera for the fuge.

I am planning to take 6-8 weeks and gradually move most of the livestock over from my 95g and take it down. I will put the tank, stand and LED lights up for sale as my reef tank account is getting a little low and I need to start filling it up again...lol..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back