Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I’m building a stand for a tank I got a while back and I’ve been trying to see how to get a similar quality feel to something such as the Red Sea Reefer Stand. So far, I’ve found out that the doors are epoxy coated, but doing that in a home setting would take a lot of materials and wouldn’t be cost effective.
In further research I’ve found epoxy paint, enamel paint, and marine boat coatings for wood. Has anyone used either of these for their stands or various projects? If so, do you mind letting everyone know how it worked and provide pictures as well?

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the rustoloem epoxy paint designed for appliances on my stand. It's stark white, easy to wipe up spills, and leaves a nice hard, shiny finish on the wood.

Also being stark white, with the little light in my stand, it makes it very easy to see whats going on down there.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the rustoloem epoxy paint designed for appliances on my stand. It's stark white, easy to wipe up spills, and leaves a nice hard, shiny finish on the wood.

Also being stark white, with the little light in my stand, it makes it very easy to see whats going on down there.

+1

MRReefs

#mrreefsny
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All what you want and what you want to spend. I use Marine poly for the inside of stands and the inside of canopies. Bullet proof. Feels like glass when done.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh forgot to mention, use some painters caulk on the seams of your stand, as well as any screw/nail heads, then paint away.

With the epoxy paint, and caulk, all spills stay in my stand and on the paint.

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend using epoxy because hardwood surfaces are shielded because of how well it can penetrate. To keep the wood in good condition, the protective layer it forms can prevent moisture from entering.

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discover the power of marine epoxy! Say goodbye to rot and instant deterioration as this remarkable product saves the day with ease.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are in the state of Cali, most paints available to you, are not going to be good. If they are, they will be pricey and the application difficult . I would suggest maybe visit a few automotive body shops in your area and pitch them what you want to be done. I would maybe concentrate on independent shops. Also if you are flexible on the color and do all the prep work, they may do it with the left over paint from a current job. Worth a shot.
Hablo español , mucho bien....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back