Equipment question for new build - pumps, sumps, and skimmers

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in an order for a custom acrylic tank - 36X24X18, accounting for the 1/2" acrylic will end up just under 60g volume when filled. This is to replace an existing 32g biocube (2 yrs old). I'd like to reuse some of my equipment, but will have new lights and new heater at least.

I'm debating between purchasing a Sapphire 26 Sump (Trigger Systems) or building my own using an acrylic kit in a glass tank. I'm feeling kind of lazy, so really thinking the Trigger systems is the way to go. Any issues with this sump? I plan to run a fuge for sure, and I have dosing pumps and an ApexEL, so the built in probe holder and dosing line holes are great. I also prefer to stick with floss instead of filter socks because I do not need more laundry LOL. Anything I haven't considered here?

I currently have a Mighty Jet 538 return pump in my biocube. Seems like this may be adequate for my tank. I do really like the pump so if I don't need something bigger, I'd probably stick with it. Would it work for this tank? Stand will be 30" high.

For flow in the tank, I currently have an Icecap 1K Gyre, dialed WAYYYYYY down which still provides crazy flow. I'm thinking this will be more than enough, at least initially. I may want to add something later but thinking this will provide enough flow for a mixed reef (no acro at this point, but some encrusting montis).

Finally, skimmer question. In my biocube, I pulled the skimmer out (it worked fairly well for the space I had) because I got much better results with my fuge. Do I need a skimmer with a larger tank, or could my fuge do well enough that I may not need one? Obviously I could always add one later, but if I'm definitely going to need it, may as well have it on hand at the beginning. If I do need one, or decide to add one later, brand recommendation?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Fijicube sumps over the Triggers. I like having covers to keep the salt creep down in the stand. Plus the adjustable baffles everywhere and modular section where you can run a media tray of filter socks. I run the Fiji 20 on my 60 cube.

You may have to supplement the gyre unless you're putting it on the side instead of the back.

You don't NEED a skimmer. I run one but that's up to you. If you're on a budget the Coralbox DC skimmers are affordable and work well. I run one on the 60 cube.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Fijicube sumps over the Triggers. I like having covers to keep the salt creep down in the stand. Plus the adjustable baffles everywhere and modular section where you can run a media tray of filter socks. I run the Fiji 20 on my 60 cube.

You may have to supplement the gyre unless you're putting it on the side instead of the back.

You don't NEED a skimmer. I run one but that's up to you. If you're on a budget the Coralbox DC skimmers are affordable and work well. I run one on the 60 cube.
I was planning on the gyre on the end, but that could prove problematic with an acrylic tank with the cutouts. I'll check out the Fiji cubes.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the sump I was referring to:

More catered to a skimmer with the smaller refugium section than the Trigger. How many drains will be coming from the new tank?

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More catered to a skimmer with the smaller refugium section than the Trigger. How many drains will be coming from the new tank?
It will have 3 drains (one emergency) that are 1" drains.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did have that sump on my wish list as well.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trigger you're thinking about takes a single drain. The Fiji has two main and the emergency can dump in the middle compartment. If you removed the knockout with the bulkheads on the Fiji you could send all three lines into that area.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trigger you're thinking about takes a single drain. The Fiji has two main and the emergency can dump in the middle compartment. If you removed the knockout with the bulkheads on the Fiji you could send all three lines into that area.
So it does - I hadn't paid attention to that. I'm wondering on the drains though - we is going to give me a lot more flow, correct? I wonder if I really want that much flow. I haven't had a sump in about 15 years and only had a single drain back then. Do I need two? Is it better?

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the Fiji 24 sump on a 75 build with 3 drains. it has a cutout on the cover for the skimmer section for an emergency drain.
What kind of flow do you have through there, and what return pump? Wondering if my return pump could actually handle that flow.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it does - I hadn't paid attention to that. I'm wondering on the drains though - we is going to give me a lot more flow, correct? I wonder if I really want that much flow. I haven't had a sump in about 15 years and only had a single drain back then. Do I need two? Is it better?
Flow I would not worry about. I have an 1100gph pump on the 60 cube and can crank it to full power and sump handles the flow just fine. And that sump is the smaller Fiji-20.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow I would not worry about. I have an 1100gph pump on the 60 cube and can crank it to full power and sump handles the flow just fine. And that sump is the smaller Fiji-20.
Thanks...I am not a plumber so still thinking through all this LOL

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...I am not a plumber so still thinking through all this LOL
My point is that you're looking at around the same volume as my 60g cube. I can easily do 10-15x tank volume through the sump if I want to. Normally I don't, but there have been occasions where I wanted faster turnover to clear up the tank after cleaning etc where I crank it up.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow do you have through there, and what return pump? Wondering if my return pump could actually handle that flow.
Jebao DCP8000.

Modified the return hole on the sump for 1" bulkhead (stock is ¾") and Tee'd into 2 x ¾" lines into the tank.

Have the pump running at power setting 45, not sure about gph.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao DCP8000.

Modified the return hole on the sump for 1" bulkhead (stock is ¾") and Tee'd into 2 x ¾" lines into the tank.

Have the pump running at power setting 45, not sure about gph.
IMG_20210417_135741.jpg

IMG_20210213_203149.jpg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures, thanks! How long is your tank? 4'?

I'm looking at the 20 instead of the 24. I honestly don't want the extra water volume and would prefer a little more room in the stand for storing items that aren't water sensitive like acclimation boxes, etc.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done plumbing so that will be interesting, at best LOL....but I'm a handy DIYer so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone on this thread use the probe holder in the Fiji sumps and the dosing line holes? I've read a few complaints about those. Not a deal breaker for me, but a bit disappointing if they don't really work.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures, thanks! How long is your tank? 4'?

I'm looking at the 20 instead of the 24. I honestly don't want the extra water volume and would prefer a little more room in the stand for storing items that aren't water sensitive like acclimation boxes, etc.
Yes, 4'

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back