Equipment Review: Aquarium Engineering ACR (Automatic Calcium Reactor)

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some sleuthing. Using my ACR, I have Spears schedule 80 fittings for the PVC parts, that I can see. The unions on my reactor are Spears schedule 40 3/4" unions (457-007G), I think. I can't see a logo on the union, but based on the Spears logos on the other fittings, I looked up the union on the Spear's site, and I am able to match the dimensions provided for the collar OD, and dimension M from Spears site. I am unable to match the length (dimension L) though. That may just be down to the difficulty of measuring a fitting already in place though.

I was able to pull PN16 off the collar, but that does not pulls up anything on the Spears site. So it is still possible that he is using a complexly different brand of fitting from the other PVC parts.

So not totally conclusive, and may or may not, match your fitting. Perhaps try to confirm the details about your fitting.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PN16 may relate to the pressure rating in bar, which would suggest a European manufacturer. The Georg Fischer line of fittings appears to match the visual appearance. The part# 721 510 107, matches my union for the diameter of the collar. However, I am unclear if this is a metric fitting. I doubt Bill used metric, lol. They have an office not too far from my house. I may have to pay them a visit and see if they keep stock of the smaller fittings. They appear to be mostly into large industrial piping solutions.

Last edited:

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. that’s some serious homework. So, yes, it definitely looks like there is some separation of layers on the 3D printed Venturi allowing horizontal linear seeping. I have a caliper so I will take some measurements at some point. The easy fix here I see is hitting the Venturi with a handheld blowtorch or something like that to melt and reseal although I suspect it won’t hold long. I’m sure the part started failing since it is exposed to consistent, albeit low, pressure. My IFM is set to cut off at 8psi so nothing major. In my experience, the sizing of the unions is a challenge. Even if you were to find a matching sized part, the threads won’t match. I am going to take a harder look and see what it would take to replumb.. Thank you everyone for the quick response and feedback.

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got lucky.. Spears… not the end of the world lol.

87B28E8B-175C-4453-979A-50258ABD20B4.jpeg
EBE10830-2094-49A0-BE45-8096820D7F45.jpeg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, so it would appear that Bill used multiple brands for the unions. Because mine is definitely not a Spears based on your photos.

I think purchasing 1 union and then mounting a 3/4" CPR venturi (trimmed for length) would be a good fix.The CPR venturis are available on Ebay.

I have a 3D printed sleeve in the works to allow the CPR venturi's to be used with John Guest fittings. I will be making them available to anyone who is running the CPR style and wants to avoid the possibility of the CO2 line popping off unexpectedly.

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. that’s some serious homework. So, yes, it definitely looks like there is some separation of layers on the 3D printed Venturi allowing horizontal linear seeping. I have a caliper so I will take some measurements at some point. The easy fix here I see is hitting the Venturi with a handheld blowtorch or something like that to melt and reseal although I suspect it won’t hold long. I’m sure the part started failing since it is exposed to consistent, albeit low, pressure. My IFM is set to cut off at 8psi so nothing major. In my experience, the sizing of the unions is a challenge. Even if you were to find a matching sized part, the threads won’t match. I am going to take a harder look and see what it would take to replumb.. Thank you everyone for the quick response and feedback.
You are probably running around 4-5 psi internally in the ACR. Your IFM is installed before your check valve, so the back pressure prevents 8 psi being reached inside the ACR (even though the IFM shows 8 psi before the check valve).

Your IFM is v4 capable, so once you get the venturi issue resolved, I suggest you upgrade to the v4 version. You would need another peristaltic pump, a gauge guard and either a relay or controllable power bar to make the leap.

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have encountered this several times in the hobby. Not an isolated incident I'm sure. dealing with european (metric) plumbing is a giant PIA if only because availability of parts here and the dang reference diameters used for sizing.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easy fix here I see is hitting the Venturi with a handheld blowtorch or something like that to melt and reseal although I suspect it won’t hold long.
It is common in the 3d printing world to put the finished part in a chamber with acetone to allow the fumes to seal and smooth the layers. My guess is that he printed in ABS.

It wouldn't be hard to recreate this in CAD. From the picture I rendered this in just a few minutes. Measurements would make it extremely easy to replicate.

Venturi.jpg

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly, i still have not opened the door to 3D printing but i can give some basic measurements and maybe shoot me a quote if that's not too much too ask? @Dennis Cartier, is there a preference over the 2 venturi or 3 venturi column? Since i have the feed valve separated, there may be enough room to integrate a slip over offset at the beginning and the end of the part. This should allow for a relatively easy install.

CaRx 1.jpeg
CaRx 2.jpeg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly, i still have not opened the door to 3D printing but i can give some basic measurements and maybe shoot me a quote if that's not too much too ask? @Dennis Cartier, is there a preference over the 2 venturi or 3 venturi column? Since i have the feed valve separated, there may be enough room to integrate a slip over offset at the beginning and the end of the part. This should allow for a relatively easy install.

CaRx 1.jpeg
CaRx 2.jpeg
No, no preference. You have a separate feed water in on your unit, so not having the water feed on it is fine for you. The only people who need the 3 ports are the owners that got an ACR that had that style of venturi.

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, so it would appear that Bill used multiple brands for the unions. Because mine is definitely not a Spears based on your photos.

I think purchasing 1 union and then mounting a 3/4" CPR venturi (trimmed for length) would be a good fix.The CPR venturis are available on Ebay.

I have a 3D printed sleeve in the works to allow the CPR venturi's to be used with John Guest fittings. I will be making them available to anyone who is running the CPR style and wants to avoid the possibility of the CO2 line popping off unexpectedly.

found the venturis but they are single port. youre saying cut and splice w/ slip fit union?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found the venturis but they are single port. youre saying cut and splice w/ slip fit union?
Yes, they are the ones that originally came on the ACR, before the 3D printed parts. You would need a union that matches yours, and 1 of the CPR parts. You just need to make sure the finished part is the same length as the printed version. The CPR part can be trimmed if too long. You glue it with transition cement (the CPR part is ABS). The nipple on the CPR venturi goes to 1 of the 2 CO2 ports in your lid. The other CO2 port in the lid becomes the CO2 in port.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Dennis Cartier for taking the proverbial ACR Bull by the Horns. You are a great resource to those of us non-engineers that own an ACR and want to keep it simply operational & optimal…which we’ve learned is a cat that is skinned many ways.

my ultimate ACR solution junked the control box and utilized an old master flex peristaltic. I also machined in a phProbe yet have kept the float valve + carbon dozer regulator as a backup. Im more comfortable running CaRx this oldschool way and in itself the ACR is a good CaRx

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely are some things about the reactors that are.. unique lol. And yes, Dennis is definitely carrying the torch here for us all. I was just looking at these pics again and I see it is possible to relocate the pump (and venturi). As you may remember, I had take issue with the noise generated by the Co2 rising from the bottom of the reactor and partially being sucked in by the pump intake. My "quickfix" was a diverter underneath the intake cut from a soda bottle. The first time I moved the reactor, that plan was cancelled as the noise immediately returned. All that said, I am wondering if there is a specific reason for flow direction or if it could be reversed. Any thoughts?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there definetly are some things about the reactors that are.. unique lol. and yes, Dennis is definitely carrying the torch here for us all. i was just looking at these pics again and i see it is possible to relocate the pump (and venturi). as you may rememebr, i had take issue with the noise generated by the Co2 rising from the bottom of teh reactor and partially being sucked in by the pump intake. my "quickfix" was a diverter underneatht he intake cut from a soda bottle. The first time i move the reactor, that plan was cancelled as the noise immediately returned. All that said, i am wondering if there is a specific reason for flow direction or if it could be reversed. Any thoughts?
No, the ACR has to be kept as an upflow style because of the venturi.

My personal opinion is that all the gas going through the media is why we never get media turning to mush like some CaRx users get.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I measured the length of the CPR fitting (5"), so based on the length you posted (3.158") , the CPR part is long enough to be cut down to achieve the same overall length after being affixed onto the male and female end of the union.

Which style you go wit is up to you (3D printed or CPR version).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is AE out of business? Every March I take perverse pleasure in emailing Bill asking him when I can expect the replacement heat exchanger he had promised me 5 years ago. My most recent email bounced.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is AE out of business? Every March I take perverse pleasure in emailing Bill asking him when I can expect the replacement heat exchanger he had promised me 5 years ago. My most recent email bounced.
Yes I believe last year bill pulled the plug on the reef equipment company.

I think he got tired of bleeding money into the company, and not getting the support of the community.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that he shut his tank down and liquidated all his shop equipment.
Yes I believe last year bill pulled the plug on the reef equipment company.

I think he got tired of bleeding money into the company, and not getting the support of the community.
Personally, I think the community gave him way more support than he deserved. A disgruntled customer is normally the exception rather than the rule for most vendors. For Bill, the opposite appeared to be the case.

For the ACR owners, all the factory controllers will require replacement as they have known longevity issues. If you are an ACR owner and just reading this thread from this point, see the thread below for a community supported controller that you can assemble yourself to get your ACR back working, better than it ever has.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back