Equipment Review: Aquarium Engineering ACR (Automatic Calcium Reactor)

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Neptune solenoid on one of the 3 holes in the too cap that handles the purge using this command:
435C8D97-685F-442C-BF0D-9C2EFF6FAA2C.png

then I have the opposite command at the same time on a plug to delete power to the ACR controller to close co2 going to the reactor.

edit: I just realized that this does nothing now that I don’t have a feed pump going in to the reactor since I have the peristaltic pump on the effluent side

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm @panic you must have something feeding water in no? Do you have the CaRx hooked to a manifold? You just removed the effluent line that was going through the factory controller and now have it going through the peristaltic pump right? If so, your venting should still work as expected.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having some issues with the GGME series of Plast-o-matic gauge guards that I was including in the v4 design. Of the 2 guards I purchased, both failed to work correctly and allowed pressure to leak past the diaphragm, causing the ACR cycle to slow and stall.

After consulting with Plast-o-matic about the issue, I have decided that these guards, the GGME economy line, are not up to the standards that we require for tank use. Plast-o-matic indicated that this line of guards are purchased overseas and are not in fact made by them, but just sold by them.

Although having a source of new, affordable, easy to purchase guards would have been nice. If they can't be trusted to function up to the required standards, then they are not worth using.

With that in mind, I have source 6 NIB (New in box) GGMT1-PV guards to include with the v4 controllers. These are an older discontinued model, but are tried and true and work great. It is also the model I have been running my ACR on for a couple of years. I was able to purchase them for half the cost of what 6 GGME guards would have cost. So they are even more affordable.

Update: I found out that it was a wonky sensor that was causing the issue. The economy gauge guards work fine.

For anyone sourcing parts for a local v4 build. Please reach out to me for assistance in identifying which guards are appropriate (E.g. we want the pressure versions and NOT vacuum).

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Neptune solenoid on one of the 3 holes in the too cap that handles the purge using this command:

then I have the opposite command at the same time on a plug to delete power to the ACR controller to close co2 going to the reactor.

edit: I just realized that this does nothing now that I don’t have a feed pump going in to the reactor since I have the peristaltic pump on the effluent side
This gives me some ideas on how to integrate Apex and other tank controllers for auto venting. Instead of having a timer internal to the ACR controller, a DIN relay would suffice and get driven externally through the auto vent port. The 3 way or other valve would also get driven externally by the Apex/other tank controller.

Hey @panic, while researching this, I noticed that the Apex solenoid is not saltwater safe! So you will want to check your valve for corrosion and I suggest positioning it with a long tube, well away from the port in the lid, preferably with a downward slope on the tubing to stop any water that has contacted it from getting back into the CaRx.

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me some ideas on how to integrate Apex and other tank controllers for auto venting. Instead of having a timer internal to the ACR controller, a DIN relay would suffice and get driven externally through the auto vent port. The 3 way or other valve would also get driven externally by the Apex/other tank controller.

Hey @panic, while researching this, I noticed that the Apex solenoid is not saltwater safe! So you will want to check your valve for corrosion and I suggest positioning it with a long tube, well away from the port in the lid, preferably with a downward slope on the tubing to stop any water that has contacted it from getting back into the CaRx.
Oh wow! That is nuts. I will make it positioned going downhill and further away.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! That is nuts. I will make it positioned going downhill and further away.
Ya, just make sure you are not using any of the effluent that may come out during the purge. Straight to waste.

When I was trying to figure out what was going on with the gauge guard that was leaking pressure, I accidentally left my ACR on a manual purge and forgot about it for over an hour! When I finally realized I was still purging, I found about 2L (1/2 gallon) of effluent in my waste bucket. Luckily the waste bucket holds about 3L, or it could have been a big mess.

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, are you using the new ACR controller (one with the peristaltic pump attached) ? or is this a DIY? I am having trouble figuring out how to actually run one of the New controllers. I cannot figure out what the apex actually is supposed to do. does it control the peristaltic pump or the solenoid? is it just on or off? Oren

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, are you using the new ACR controller (one with the peristaltic pump attached) ? or is this a DIY? I am having trouble figuring out how to actually run one of the New controllers. I cannot figure out what the apex actually is supposed to do. does it control the peristaltic pump or the solenoid? is it just on or off? Oren
Hi @epsteino, Panic is currently running a v1 of my DIY controllers while I get a v4 ready for him.

For the peristaltic version that you have, if you were able to send me a photo of the controller internals (the back of the box unscrews), I can try to see what the Apex connector is connected to in the controller, and we may be able to tell from that, what it's purpose is. Having a look inside would also help give you an idea if this model of controller uses similar components to the previous versions, which proved problematic.

That being said, the controller should function without that connected just by hooking up the CO2 lines and the effluent line to the peristaltic tube. Then the speed controller would be used to set the RPM of the pump and affect the effluent rate.

Dennis

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, incase you are already using that controller, I would strongly suggest placing a good quality CO2 check valve on the CO2 out line between the controller and ACR. This will stop possible water ingress which was the failure point of the previous controllers. I prefer the Dennerle CO2 check valves, but they can be hard to find. The Carbon Doser ones are also good (and easier to find).

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, incase you are already using that controller, I would strongly suggest placing a good quality CO2 check valve on the CO2 out line between the controller and ACR. This will stop possible water ingress which was the failure point of the previous controllers. I prefer the Dennerle CO2 check valves, but they can be hard to find. The Carbon Doser ones are also good (and easier to find).
Thanks for the replies. I am going to send you a pic. Looks like there is a check valve. Not sure what kind or quality. I’m attaching some pics

Attachments

• 10ED0D41-C5A5-4209-A921-02C49E060F46.jpeg
    10ED0D41-C5A5-4209-A921-02C49E060F46.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 463B789A-64EC-4A84-8161-4C5CAF72CBB0.jpeg
    463B789A-64EC-4A84-8161-4C5CAF72CBB0.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 37
  • C8DE9CF5-797D-44F5-854D-B922B947E5EF.jpeg
    C8DE9CF5-797D-44F5-854D-B922B947E5EF.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 32
  • 245FCCA4-AC91-4D0B-860A-41D12CA3415D.jpeg
    245FCCA4-AC91-4D0B-860A-41D12CA3415D.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 57CF766E-1FA6-4316-A39B-8CD2D9F6C32B.jpeg
    57CF766E-1FA6-4316-A39B-8CD2D9F6C32B.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1F93598E-0CE9-4B88-A53B-3BF8C0766E8D.jpeg
    1F93598E-0CE9-4B88-A53B-3BF8C0766E8D.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 674BEA7C-064C-4C63-AB4B-3AF66F30F073.jpeg
    674BEA7C-064C-4C63-AB4B-3AF66F30F073.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 30

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the photos. They provided all the info we need.

My expectation about there being a stepper controller inside turned out to be wrong. I see a peristaltic pump and think stepper motor, but in this case Bill used a DC motor version.

The Apex interface is hooked to a relay module and functions as an On/Off. You can shut the ACR down using your Apex through it. If you have automated an alk tester, you can use a high level limit to take the ACR offline when you are overshooting your target alk. I use an Alkatronic and use it's tests to modulate the flow of the Masterflex I have on my effluent line through custom software.

The check valve is the same type he put in the factory controller I had. I still got water past it. So you will need to add your own external check valve, between the ACR and the controller. Note, this is needed and not optional. That should prevent that problem.

I hope that gives you enough to get up and running, but please post any issues and I will do my best to help.

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! It’s Doug, we talked on the phone.

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the photos. They provided all the info we need.

My expectation about there being a stepper controller inside turned out to be wrong. I see a peristaltic pump and think stepper motor, but in this case Bill used a DC motor version.

The Apex interface is hooked to a relay module and functions as an On/Off. You can shut the ACR down using your Apex through it. If you have automated an alk tester, you can use a high level limit to take the ACR offline when you are overshooting your target alk. I use an Alkatronic and use it's tests to modulate the flow of the Masterflex I have on my effluent line through custom software.

The check valve is the same type he put in the factory controller I had. I still got water past it. So you will need to add your own external check valve, between the ACR and the controller. Note, this is needed and not optional. That should prevent that problem.

I hope that gives you enough to get up and running, but please post any issues and I will do my best to help.
Thank you for the assessment. Now, if it only did what you say it is supposed to do. I have hooked the plug up to the apex EB832, and using the ON and OFF position in fusion (bypassing the AUTO position), I have been toggling between the two positions. The motor continues to run. Is the 24 volt power from the EB832 going to a relay that is attached to the peristaltic pump? I do not hear a relay trip when I toggle the apex fusion switch ON or OFF. Does the relay cut power just to the pump or does it cut power to the whole ACR?

wondering if that jump switch in there has anything to do with things. and yes, I already redid/freshened up/tightened all the wire hook ups. also tested the link cable for continuity and also am getting the 24 volts it is supposed to get from the power supply.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the assessment. Now, if it only did what you say it is supposed to do. I have hooked the plug up to the apex EB832, and using the ON and OFF position in fusion (bypassing the AUTO position), I have been toggling between the two positions. The motor continues to run. Is the 24 volt power from the EB832 going to a relay that is attached to the peristaltic pump? I do not hear a relay trip when I toggle the apex fusion switch ON or OFF. Does the relay cut power just to the pump or does it cut power to the whole ACR?

wondering if that jump switch in there has anything to do with things. and yes, I already redid/freshened up/tightened all the wire hook ups. also tested the link cable for continuity and also am getting the 24 volts it is supposed to get from the power supply.
The relay is intended to break the connection to the peristaltic pump, so the pump should stop when energized. I can see from the photos, that the pump's power is attached to the Normally Closed terminal.

I can't see the silkscreen labels on the other end, but you may be right, that the jumper wire needs to be removed for the Apex functionality to be able enabled, though I suspect that jumper is being used to provide power to the relay board's interface and drive circuitry.

The relay board can activate on either a high or low signal input. It is set to Low currently.

Does the Pwr LED light up when you provide 24 VDC from the Apex? If it does, and the relay does not energize, please move the Jumper to the High position and see if it that causes the relay to energize.

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The relay is intended to break the connection to the peristaltic pump, so the pump should stop when energized. I can see from the photos, that the pump's power is attached to the Normally Closed terminal.

I can't see the silkscreen labels on the other end, but you may be right, that the jumper wire needs to be removed for the Apex functionality to be able enabled, though I suspect that jumper is being used to provide power to the relay board's interface and drive circuitry.

The relay board can activate on either a high or low signal input. It is set to Low currently.

Does the Pwr LED light up when you provide 24 VDC from the Apex? If it does, and the relay does not energize, please move the Jumper to the High position and see if it that causes the relay to energize.
I do not see a light go on. I am assuming the LED is in the box (on the relay) and not on the front of the unit.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see a light go on. I am assuming the LED is in the box (on the relay) and not on the front of the unit.
Yes, the LED is on the relay board. However, after thinking about this some more, the only way the relay board can be powered, is from the Apex signal. So the jumper wire is needed to provide power to the relay board. I believe this would be considered a High signal, so move the jumper to High, and see if that causes the relay to energize. Setting it to high, is the only combination that makes sense.

If that does not work, then the relay board may be damaged. In that case, plug the power supply for the controller into an unused outlet on your Apex power bar and use the outlet to control the ACR. Let's hope the speed controller saves its settings in that case.

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started posting a more comprehensive walk through thread for the v4 controller in the DIY forum. This is intended to give enough info so that anyone can build one, regardless of skill level. At least that is my hope. We will see if works out that way.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back