Equipment you DO NOT NEED to have a successful saltwater reef aquarium?

Do you have equipment that you absolutely DO NOT NEED running on your system?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 205 38.2%
  • NO

Votes: 324 60.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.5%

• Total voters

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a no from me... have doubles of the essential stuff as backups.

Have always been aiming for a low maintenance reef so each thing I don't have simply equates as one less thing to clean each week :D
That's awesome. I'm getting a 30g salt setup in a few weeks and cutting the price of a light would make a big difference, not going to do coral off the bat but definitely going to later on as I get more experience

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a BUNCH of equipment but I consider it all necessary, I know some people don’t consider automatic testers and controllers to be “necessary” but I do

so my answer is no I do not have unnecessary equipment on my tank

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely I don't seem to need a heater. Haven't switched it on for months now.
The skimmer seems to generate enough heat to keep the water between 23.5°C and 25.4°C and I only run it for 12 hours a day.

ohiomike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say yes because I keep an extra circulation pump running in my most established tank. It is only running to ward off any possible cyano outbreaks. I just finished treating with chemiclean successfully 3 days ago. No signs of any nasty red death accumulation now anywhere. And before treating, this stuff would be back within hours of a large WC.
So I would have to say that I am just running scared now using the extra pump in the tank. It will be leaving after lunch.

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have stuff I absolutely do not NEED. I overdo just about everything unfortunately... Everyone's rule of thumb is like a rule of feet for me, I exhaust myself haha. But seriously, I don't need two NERO 5 on 20%. A 3 would be fine. I don't need a Vectra M2 for 110 gallons. But I do. I don't need a 180 gallon penninsula reef tank to be repurposed as an Oscar freshwater tank... Didn't need my 8th tank as a reef. I love the techy and electronic stuff, so the more the better for me. I also didn't need to buy a Raspberry PI and turn it into a cloud-based testing service, but I did...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. (NAME ONE) What are some pieces of equipment that YOU DO NOT NEED to run a successful reef tank? (NAME ONE)
ATO
2. What equipment do you currently have running on your system that you absolutely DO NOT NEED?
Maybe misunderstanding the question - I've removed all of those that aren't necessary (why would anyone keep something that could cause a problem if they absolutely dont need it.

If you mean what things do I have that are just for 'convenience sake' but not NEEDED, I would say controller, doser. I tend to have a very simple non-automated tank

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've debated toying with ozone. Main goal is to help control nitrates and some cyano. (not a ton, but a few spots of it). How do you like ozone and on what size of system?
I do not know enough about ozone to make a recommendation. I do know it is very expensive. Now as far as nitrates go , I have used NOPOX by red sea. It is a slow process. NO3 5-10ppm. For cyno- Ultra reef red slime remover can help. curious : have you ever had Dino's? good luck

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing non-aquarists say when they see my tank equipment room is "you need all this to have a saltwater aquarium?" Sad.

Today let's flip the script and just get to the basics. Basics of what you ask? Basic equipment of course! We see a lot of discussion about equipment we can add to our aquarium that can help us accomplish this or manage that but all, much of it, is not always needed. Let's talk about it!

1. (NAME ONE) What are some pieces of equipment that YOU DO NOT NEED to run a successful reef tank? (NAME ONE)

2. What equipment do you currently have running on your system that you absolutely DO NOT NEED?

SWEET equipment room image via @arcticfox
DB0D8ECD-561E-4B32-AB0F-3E4058633034.jpeg

Well, I shall not be opening my sump cabinet for anymore public photos after seeing this picture. This is like instant inferiority complex. This makes my self-admired filtration system look like a booger. I brought my 2004 Toyota Yaris to a supercar meeting.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know enough about ozone to make a recommendation. I do know it is very expensive.
I don't see it as expensive at all. I have been using one forever except for about 5 years, but last year I put one back on my tank for water conditions. I don't think it was $100.00 bucks. But I don't have a sump or any controllers, dosers etc.

I only have a DIY skimmer, DIY algae scrubber and lately I built a DIY denitrator for kicks but the stupid thing seems to work. My tank is an experiment and I like to tinker.

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The actual tank itself. There’s a place already set up for these types of animals, the ocean.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need is a funny word.

I view Life Reef Venturi, 80 watt UV and GFO trickle reactor as essential. Phosphate always creeps up on me.

I definately view my K1 kalk stirrer as option and could premix a small tank weekly and left to sit sealed.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see it as expensive at all. I have been using one forever except for about 5 years, but last year I put one back on my tank for water conditions. I don't think it was $100.00 bucks. But I don't have a sump or any controllers, dosers etc.

I only have a DIY skimmer, DIY algae scrubber and lately I built a DIY denitrator for kicks but the stupid thing seems to work. My tank is an experiment and I like to tinker.
Ozone page of Bulk reef supply is my ref. plus their vids on the subject. ( more expensive for me) I must be missing something??? darn

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I shall not be opening my sump cabinet for anymore public photos after seeing this picture. This is like instant inferiority complex. This makes my self-admired filtration system look like a booger. I brought my 2004 Toyota Yaris to a supercar meeting.
lol. One day brother, one day
T. 25 gallon Waterbox is all I have right now ;)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of equipment mentioned in other posts that aren’t exactly needed (ato, skimmer, controller), but the price of not having them (much more work) is not worth it to me. The automation keeps maintenance manageable, which increases the chance of success exponentially imo. I have a return pump, gyre, skimmer, heater, ato, carbon reactor, AWC setup with DOS, and two dosing pumps for alk and ca. This isn’t a complicated setup in the big scheme of things, but it sure helps maintain stability!

marcus aurelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment I don't need? I showed some family my fish room and their comment was "Holy cows, look at all those cords! " I hadn't paid attention to it. The cord mess is just part of the game. I've seen people put together controller boards. Mounting everything neatly to a plywood and running cords.... Is it necessary no? Have I lost equipment due to inappropriate getting wet... Yes... So, would it have saved me money and time.. Absolutely.

It's kinda the age old, spending money and having the right equipment to be successful.

It's about having the right things, not excessive things. I don't need a roller mat. . . .I love it though. No more socks in the clothes washer. No longer accidently bleaching clothes because not all the bleach got washed out due to washing socks. . . .

I would say barebones what is needed three pillars of reefing (good book idea? )

1. Lights. . .All reefs need lights.
2. Filtration / nutrient export. Something to remove nutrients (this could just be water changes, could be as complex as skimmers, reactors, and fuges / ATSes.)
3. Water quality: This could include, heaters, chillers, powerheads, dosers, ATO. Anything that maintains stable water quality for the live stock.

With these three categies, it could be one piece of equipment or ten pieces of equipment in each category. For water quality and filtration it could just be water changes and buckets with a single powerhead. Depending on livestock, heaters or chillers may not be needed.

I would argue that any reef aquarium should have the minimum amount of equipment to maintain a stable / habitable aquatic environment for the live stock being selected. There are cold water live stock, there are warm water and everything in between. How that habitat is achieved is up to each individual.
Love the part about the roller. No more stinky washer

marcus aurelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely an equipment junky. Could I do with out some of the stuff, yes. But I do love all of it.

Skimmer
Apex, all of the stuff
Trident
Alkatronic
UV
PAX
Kalk reactor
Carbon reactor
MP40's
LED's

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing non-aquarists say when they see my tank equipment room is "you need all this to have a saltwater aquarium?" Sad.

Today let's flip the script and just get to the basics. Basics of what you ask? Basic equipment of course! We see a lot of discussion about equipment we can add to our aquarium that can help us accomplish this or manage that but all, much of it, is not always needed. Let's talk about it!

SWEET equipment room image via @arcticfox
DB0D8ECD-561E-4B32-AB0F-3E4058633034.jpeg
Your equipment takes up more space than my shallow 90G!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back