Erin O's 75G Build

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm in Southern California, where our power gets shut off literally one day a month average and multiple days in a row for winds and fire, I am extremely reluctant to run a hob overflow. Was hoping to find a hob skimmer unit that removed the chance of a siohon loss leading to a very soggy floor situation.

Leave whilst you still have your sanity!

... stop laughing everyone else ...

Do a journal for the stocking. :)

DSC_0014 (1024x716).jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave whilst you still have your sanity!

... stop laughing everyone else ...

Do a journal for the stocking. :)

DSC_0014 (1024x716).jpg
Should I be leaving the California crazies or Erin-oh-my build thread crazies to protect this sanity you suggest I have?

Asking for a friend.

I think I will start a stocking thread. I've got a lot of questions on flow, placement of corals ( that I spent my kids college fund on), and honestly about every other beginner type of question. Where would be the best place for that thread? Still trying to figure out the site navigation.

What is that beautiful thing?

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be leaving the California crazies or Erin-oh-my build thread crazies to protect this sanity you suggest I have?

Asking for a friend.

I think I will start a stocking thread. I've got a lot of questions on flow, placement of corals ( that I spent my kids college fund on), and honestly about every other beginner type of question. Where would be the best place for that thread? Still trying to figure out the site navigation.

A chalice coral, post us a link to your journal when you do one. :).

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Asking for a friend.

You can start a journal/build thread in this section. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/?prefix_id[0]=147

mgelb16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I think I've convinced myself to convert my 75g into SW instead of my 29g (@sfin52, I believe that you predicted that this might happen in my meet & greet post lol). There are just so many fish out there that I want to get but aren't suitable for a 29g lol. I'm not going to be able to drill it because its tempered glass, so no sump. I'll have the Tidal 110 on it with a couple of power heads. Dry/live rock, live sand. This will be a FOWLR for quite a while, at least until the tank matures and I feel comfortable enough to try a reef. My current stocking plan is (this is the plan for the 29g, I'm just going to add to it) :
2 ocellaris clowns
? banggaii cardinals (I'm not sure how many I can have in this size of tank)
1 Yasha goby/ pistol shrimp pair
1 royal gramma
hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, an urchin (if you have other suggestions to add to this group, I'd love to hear them)

These are the fish I'm looking at to possibly add to my stocking list:
1 flame angel (I know that this fish could be a problem if/when I start adding corals)
1 simple damselfish (will the fact that this is a 75g cut down on the aggression?)
1 fairy wrasse (either a lubbock's, whip fin, or ruby longfin)

I'm open to other suggestions. Can I get away with another bottom dweller or should I just stick to the 1 yasha/shrimp pair?
I love flame angels, I would say to be careful with them but if you can make it work it'll be worth it.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love flame angels, I would say to be careful with them but if you can make it work it'll be worth it.
My stocking list has changed so much over the last year lol. I don't plan on getting a flame anymore. They're beautiful fish, but I found out about wrasse and I think I'm going to get a few of those instead. Of course, I could still change my mind. Pretty sure no one would be surprised if I did LOL

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stocking list has changed so much over the last year lol. I don't plan on getting a flame anymore. They're beautiful fish, but I found out about wrasse and I think I'm going to get a few of those instead. Of course, I could still change my mind. Pretty sure no one would be surprised if I did LOL
BREAKING NEWS: THIS JUST IN...... ERIN CHANGED HER MIND...... AGAIN.
UPDATES TO FOLLOW. :cool:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there's a lot of brain here, I figured I could ask this quickly.

As you know I took over my tank and honestly it had been left to its own devices for far too long. He wasn't doing water changes often at all and there was barely any flow in the tank with only a hang on back filter and cheap powerhead, plus way to much LR in there.

I am battling nitrates hard since I've taken the tank over. My current working theory is that there is so much crap build up on the live rock that I have been disturbing and putting into the water column as I've been moving around the aquascape to get it set up a few times in the last two weeks. Fish, inverts and my Duncan are all happy but my nitrate PPM is still north of 150. I'm going to grab a turkey baster today to blow off the rocks before I do a big water change again.

Are we thinking I'm on the right track?

Obligatory splam n eggs

PXL_20210217_050134187.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As you know I took over my tank and honestly it had been left to its own devices for far too long. He wasn't doing water changes often at all and there was barely any flow in the tank with only a hang on back filter and cheap powerhead, plus way to much LR in there.

I am battling nitrates hard since I've taken the tank over. My current working theory is that there is so much crap build up on the live rock that I have been disturbing and putting into the water column as I've been moving around the aquascape to get it set up a few times in the last two weeks. Fish, inverts and my Duncan are all happy but my nitrate PPM is still north of 150. I'm going to grab a turkey baster today to blow off the rocks before I do a big water change again.

most likely coming more from disturbing sandbed while moving rocks,
but yes on the right track :)
you need a build thread w a badge ..n we want pic's..;):)
skimmer? what size system?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely coming more from disturbing sandbed while moving rocks,
but yes on the right track :)
you need a build thread w a badge ..n we want pic's..;):)
skimmer? what size system?
The thread is coming. I promise. 75g with brand new fx4. No sump, no skimmer. Cleaning the filter out weekly currently as I've been disturbing the tank and rock so often. I think I'm in my final configuration now so only waiting on my coraline color epoxy to get here and I will anchor a few. There shouldn't be any more changes to rock to come.

Dt at my LFS to oogle.

Attachments

• PXL_20201219_183842042.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201219_183842042.MP.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 19

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Obligatory splam n eggs

PXL_20210217_050134187.jpg
A good trick is to take a tub or bucket of old SS and shake the crap out of the rocks in it. Then use a small pump in same tub or bucket to blast the rocks. Then swish again. This allows you get the crap out of the rocks outside of the tank.

You can also rip and clean your sand bed. I have done it numerous times with no issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back