Eshopps eclipse overflow install help

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so ive been searching google and have found many issues with eshopps install instructions for their overflow box. How should this thing be installed? I've seen people doing overflow-gasket-glass-gasket-external box-nut. The problem with this is that it leaves about an 1/8 inch gap between the overflow box and the tank. Would i be better off doing
Overflow-glass-gasket-external box-nut and then putting silicone around the overflow box inside the tank? Im uploading pictures of both ways.
20180702_204455.jpg
20180702_204501.jpg
20180702_204944.jpg
20180702_204949.jpg
This is correct, inside box, gasket, glass, gasket, outside box, nut. And FWIW I used a piece of sponge in the hole to stop the salt creep on the outside of the box lid.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Most likely this weekend.
I have read where a lot of people have these external boxes "silent", so I'm not discouraged.
The sound wasn't a chief concern of mine immediately because of where the tank is located.
I think I can get it there, just need to tweak some more.

BTW...looks like you are fairly new around here....Welcome aboard.
....and since you already have some pics, I totally expect a build thread in the near future!:cool:
@Dystinction i actually already have a build thread started. Title is saving a red sea reefer 250.

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the medium and I’m having a heck of a time dialing it in. Water is at the tip of the emergency pipe. Making it longer didn’t help, just raised the level. Just learned to block out the noise. I plan on messing with it again soon though.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the medium and I’m having a heck of a time dialing it in. Water is at the tip of the emergency pipe. Making it longer didn’t help, just raised the level. Just learned to block out the noise. I plan on messing with it again soon though.
Are you using a gate valve on the main drain? Between that and raising up the emergency drain a little bit my overflow is dead silent. There are times I'll check the tank to make sure my return pump hasn't failed lol

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a gate valve on the main drain? Between that and raising up the emergency drain a little bit my overflow is dead silent. There are times I'll check the tank to make sure my return pump hasn't failed lol

Yup I have a gate valve and raised up my e-line. How much did you raise yours? I also have a valve on my return so I can control that too.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I have a gate valve and raised up my e-line. How much did you raise yours? I also have a valve on my return so I can control that too.
I have it so that the water level is just above the bulkhead opening so you dont hear the splashing and bubbling of the water falling into the internal box

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it so that the water level is just above the bulkhead opening so you dont hear the splashing and bubbling of the water falling into the internal box

Ill have to play with mine this weekend. I kind of just learned to block out the noise. Then this threaded started and it got me thinking again. It does give you that nice “ocean waves hitting the shore feeling” lol

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems way too high....

Like there isn’t enough room if I actually need the emergency line...

ff8ab790b14253af909f8092e66c0d10.jpg
Nope thats operating height for a silent drain. The space above should be plenty for your siphon to prime and if you have a clogging event it should be able to handle the amount of water that your pump is putting out. Lowering your water level by cutting the tube will cause a waterfall sound when water enters the overflow.

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that’s high. It’s dead silent though now, well almost. Night and day for sure. Yes I have the line in my sump cut short so I can hear it when it’s filled with water.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems way too high....

Like there isn’t enough room if I actually need the emergency line...

ff8ab790b14253af909f8092e66c0d10.jpg

Dang that’s high. It’s dead silent though now, well almost. Night and day for sure. Yes I have the line in my sump cut short so I can hear it when it’s filled with water.
It is pretty high. But I've tested this with a 750 gph return pump and it worked fine.

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m running a triton 4 with 1050 GPH. According to the flow calculator I used, I should be around 700gph. The M says 800 on their site. I also have the pumped dialed back.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m running a triton 4 with 1050 GPH. According to the flow calculator I used, I should be around 700gph. The M says 800 on their site. I also have the pumped dialed back.
You can always give it a quick try by closing the valve on your siphon line

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, do you have the standpipe (red pipe) pressed all the way down into the bottom bulkhead in the external box, or have you 'wiggled' it up some to get the height that you needed to eliminate the waterfall sound?

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, do you have the standpipe (red pipe) pressed all the way down into the bottom bulkhead in the external box, or have you 'wiggled' it up some to get the height that you needed to eliminate the waterfall sound?

Wiggles it up. I was going to cut a new piece tomorrow to make snug.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is slightly above bottomed out. I do this for 2 reasons. 1 the waterfall seems slightly noticeable when not up a little. 2 cleaning reasons I bottomed it out once and I had a heck of a time trying to get it out.

six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
late jump in,

To get mine to run silent I tried everything I could think of. It can with no problem handle my Jebao 8000 wide open but running it slow I had a problem with it vaperlocking and not clearing (during startup after feeding) running it slow with the drain below the waterline in the sump. I was able to solve it with a 3/16 hole drilled into the drain just above the waterline in the sump which allows air to escape on startup and clear quickly as full siphon is developed. I also drilled the same 3/16 hole in the top of the secondary drain (which goes below water level in the overflow box during startup)which also allowed a full siphon to develop quickly upon startup of the pump. with these improvements I am extremely happy with my overflow silent setup.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct, inside box, gasket, glass, gasket, outside box, nut. And FWIW I used a piece of sponge in the hole to stop the salt creep on the outside of the box lid.

This thread and advice was very helpful in troubleshooting my leaking Eshopps Eclipse-M Overflow installation. I wanted to document my experiences in case it is helpful for others (as well as helping me remember what the heck worked for future reference) There are numerous different advice given on how to setup the gaskets for this overflow:
  1. Eshopps installation manual states: Internal Wier --> Glass --> Gasket1 --> Gasket2 --> External Box --> Nut
  2. Eshopps installation video states: Internal Wier --> Glass --> Gasket1 --> External Box --> Gasket2 --> Nut
  3. BRS recommends: Internal Wier --> Gasket1 --> Glass --> External Box --> Gasket2 --> Nut
90% of the threads i read online end with a person who places Gaskets as in #1 above and that seems to work for people. In my installation, #1 was the only installation that did not leak from the bulkhead opening outside the tank down the glass on the outside of the tank. However, #1 did leak in a weird way for me. When I would turn off the pump, and the external box drains and everything settles, #1 method did leak water somehow from the tank into the external box through the bulkhead (I believe this leak "through the bulkhead" was actually along the bulkhead threads, and not through the bulkhead tube itself) This would result in potentially another 5 inches of water draining from the tank to the sump over an hour or two (Probably not a huge deal, but not ideal).

In the end, I have found only one no-leak installation. I did have to go to the pool store and found a 1.5inch gasket that exactly matches the gasket size of the 2 gaskets included with the Eshopps overflow. This is the configuration that worked for me, and I have not really seen this configuration listed anywhere else:
  • Internal Wier --> Gasket1 --> Glass --> Gasket2 --> Gasket 3 --> External Box --> Nut
I tried every other conceivable gasket combination not listed above (2 gaskets inside; 1 gasket outside glass and 1 on nut; 1 gasket inside glass 1 outside glass and 1 on nut; 2 gaskets outside glass and 1 on nut; even tried thread tape on the threads; etc...) and I either had leaks outside the tank, or leaks through the bulkhead into the external box. The only thing that actually worked was the option listed above in the bullet point.

Thanks,

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back