Eshopps eclipse overflow install help

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so ive been searching google and have found many issues with eshopps install instructions for their overflow box. How should this thing be installed? I've seen people doing overflow-gasket-glass-gasket-external box-nut. The problem with this is that it leaves about an 1/8 inch gap between the overflow box and the tank. Would i be better off doing
Overflow-glass-gasket-external box-nut and then putting silicone around the overflow box inside the tank? Im uploading pictures of both ways.
20180702_204455.jpg
20180702_204501.jpg
20180702_204944.jpg
20180702_204949.jpg

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so ive been searching google and have found many issues with eshopps install instructions for their overflow box. How should this thing be installed? I've seen people doing overflow-gasket-glass-gasket-external box-nut. The problem with this is that it leaves about an 1/8 inch gap between the overflow box and the tank. Would i be better off doing
Overflow-glass-gasket-external box-nut and then putting silicone around the overflow box inside the tank? Im uploading pictures of both ways.
20180702_204455.jpg
20180702_204501.jpg
20180702_204944.jpg
20180702_204949.jpg
They say to install both gaskets between the glass and the overflow box. I thought that was stupid and attempted to do it every way other than their recommendation and well they recommend it for a reason. Overflow -> glass -> gasket -> gasket - > Overflow Box.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say to install both gaskets between the glass and the overflow box. I thought that was stupid and attempted to do it every way other than their recommendation and well they recommend it for a reason. Overflow -> glass -> gasket -> gasket - > Overflow Box.
You havent had a leak this way?
Have you watched their youtube vid install? They go against the install sheet they include in the box

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You havent had a leak this way?
Have you watched their youtube vid install? They go against the install sheet they include in the box
I have had no leaks this way. I tried putting the gaskets multiple other ways and had leaks. Took me 4 leak tests on the first 75 I set up the second 75 I set up did it this way off the bat and had no issues.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no leaks this way. I tried putting the gaskets multiple other ways and had leaks. Took me 4 leak tests on the first 75 I set up the second 75 I set up did it this way off the bat and had no issues.
Thank you. I still have a while before i do my final leak test but i am going to try this way first then.

guido5526

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at mine and both boxes of mine are tight against the glass. I installed mine almost as soon as they came out with the eclipse line and the box was a generic brown box instead of the nice one they come in now. Not a single leak from mine. Did at first cuz the nut wasn't tight but has been running at least a year or more perfectly

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I have mine installed:

overflow -> gasket -> glass -> gasket -> external box

here's a super crappy shot
overflow.jpg

Very minimal gap on each side.
No runs, no drips, no errors.....except the salt spray/creep. It's the worst here than anywhere else in the system.

@Crabs Mcjones might also be able to chime in here.....I believe he runs an Eclipse overflow as well.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at mine and both boxes of mine are tight against the glass. I installed mine almost as soon as they came out with the eclipse line and the box was a generic brown box instead of the nice one they come in now. Not a single leak from mine. Did at first cuz the nut wasn't tight but has been running at least a year or more perfectly
So wait you dont have any gaskets other that the one inside the black box?

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I have mine installed:

overflow -> gasket -> glass -> gasket -> external box

here's a super crappy shot
overflow.jpg

Very minimal gap on each side.
No runs, no drips, no errors.....except the salt spray/creep. It's the worst here than anywhere else in the system.

@Crabs Mcjones might also be able to chime in here.....I believe he runs an Eclipse overflow as well.
Is the salt spray coming from the finger hole on the overflow lid?

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine needs some serious tuning love.
I get a nice film across the top of the lid, most likely from the finger hole.
However, I get actual buildup around the line between the lid and the box. It accumulates around the outside of this 'seam'.

I'm pretty sure most of it is caused by the turbulent flow into the external box. Again, I need to show it a little love, and work on getting the water height in the external box 'just right'.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok. How fast are you flowing water into the overflow box and down the emergency drain?

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Sicce Silent 3.5 rated at 660 gph. I have no flow metering on the system, so I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what the actual flow rate it.

I have intermittent spill into the emergency drain, but there isn't really a constant flow into it. My external box water level is right at the top of the emergency standpipe.

Mine is still very loud as well. I actually believe that I may have gotten an emergency standpipe that is a tad too short. Even if I work it up to the point where it almost comes out of the bottom bulkhead, I cannot quiet it down.
My water still spills into the external box, which is the noise factor.

I have a water change coming soon, as my tank is almost cycled. I plan to cut a longer emergency standpipe, and tweak away.....really glad I installed a gate valve on the main return line!

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange as the herbi is supposed to be silent. Please let me know what happens when you cut the longer pipe.

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Most likely this weekend.
I have read where a lot of people have these external boxes "silent", so I'm not discouraged.
The sound wasn't a chief concern of mine immediately because of where the tank is located.
I think I can get it there, just need to tweak some more.

BTW...looks like you are fairly new around here....Welcome aboard.
....and since you already have some pics, I totally expect a build thread in the near future!:cool:

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange as the herbi is supposed to be silent. Please let me know what happens when you cut the longer pipe.
Will do. Most likely this weekend.
I have read where a lot of people have these external boxes "silent", so I'm not discouraged.
The sound wasn't a chief concern of mine immediately because of where the tank is located.
I think I can get it there, just need to tweak some more.
I run the large model and run that as a Bean animal system it works well, running these without a ball or gate valve will be pretty hard to run silently. Using the 2 down pipes 1 ball valve should be fine for you. Set your siphon with the ball valve so that you have a very, very small amount going into the emergency it should stick to the sides and be close to silent. The third pipe on the larger set up is a secondary back up.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dystinction - That looks like a medium, yeah?
If so, that's rated at 600GPH, so you could be right at the upper-end of it's flow rate, which may explain the salt spray and noise. I'm not sure that a longer emergency drain will change anything aside from your water level... But that may help with the spray; can't really say.

Herbie drains are really only "silent" when you have them well dialed in - which can take some doing. It's also going to be highly susceptible to change in flow rates - such as might be caused by a less-than-clean return pump, algae on the teeth, sponges growing in the down pipe, evaporation without an ATO (or even with one if it's got a long delay), etc.
That's not to say they aren't an acceptable drain option (clearly; very popular - I run one myself). Just that they are finicky...

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DLHDesign , thanks for the response.
Actually I have the small, but you got the flow rating correct at 600 gph. It looks as though the OP might have the medium size.
Good information, and I'll definitely look into this during my tweaking session.

@DLHDesign , do you have any inputs regarding the OPs initial question regarding gasket placement?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any inputs regarding the OPs initial question regarding gasket placement?
I don't - not yet. I mean - I could provide a "best guess" on how I would do it, but I don't actually own one yet, so I can't say what actually would work best.

I currently have a Red Sea 525XL, which doesn't have a shadow overflow of any type, but does run a herbie. So that's where my experience with the drain type comes from.
I'm currently in the process of building out a new tank. The new tank will use two of the medium Eclipse overflows, so I've done some research into them, at least. But in terms of the install, I'll be doing a custom build of the overflows to create a 1-2" gap between the overflow and box so that I can introduce a surround infinity box on the tank. I've not worked out the specifics of that yet, but suffice to say that I won't be using a standard gasket setup... ;-)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back