Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I can get pictures tomorrow.

Cool. It would be good to know.

But once you get the second gasket installed, if it leaks, we may have to effect some repairs on the hole itself.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. It would be good to know.

But once you get the second gasket installed, if it leaks, we may have to effect some repairs on the hole itself.
20221114_095058.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah; that hole is pretty badly chipped. It also seems a bit elongated, which is a byproduct of cutting the hole, free-hand.

At this point, I would suggest getting the gaskets and reinstalling. Hopefully this will correct the problem.

If not, some repairs to the hole may be necessary.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah; that hole is pretty badly chipped. It also seems a bit elongated, which is a byproduct of cutting the hole, free-hand.

At this point, I would suggest getting the gaskets and reinstalling. Hopefully this will correct the problem.

If not, some repairs to the hole may be necessary.

Is it fixable? I got this tank second-hand and they were running this exact overflow on this tank. So that's why I assumed that this hole was fine.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it fixable? I got this tank second-hand and they were running this exact overflow on this tank. So that's why I assumed that this hole was fine.
I would wait untill you have the second gasket before getting too worried about the hole. This is from BRS product page

Installation Tip - When installing the bulkhead gaskets we highly suggest placing one between the inner overflow box and the aquarium. The other gasket should be placed between the external box and the bulkhead nut.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait untill you have the second gasket before getting too worried about the hole. This is from BRS product page

Installation Tip - When installing the bulkhead gaskets we highly suggest placing one between the inner overflow box and the aquarium. The other gasket should be placed between the external box and the bulkhead nut.

Eshopps actually just got back to me and looks like they'll send me a gasket. Now just got to wait for it to get shipped to me. Nothing comes quick in this hobby!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah! The plot thickens...

So, I may have missed this part. If you mentioned it previously, I apologize.

If I understand correctly, this is a 2nd hand tank in which the previous owner cut the hole. And the overflow that is leaking is the same overflow previously installed on the tank?

You may not have noticed the overflow was dripping at the time you purchased the tank. Was the seller private or retail?

It isn't the end of the world; it can be repaired. But again, install the overflow with both gaskets and see if you solve the problem that way.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! The plot thickens...

So, I may have missed this part. If you mentioned it previously, I apologize.

If I understand correctly, this is a 2nd hand tank in which the previous owner cut the hole. And the overflow that is leaking is the same overflow previously installed on the tank?

You may not have noticed the overflow was dripping at the time you purchased the tank. Was the seller private or retail?

It isn't the end of the world; it can be repaired. But again, install the overflow with both gaskets and see if you solve the problem that way.

I got it locally but it was apparently used by OSA. It came dry and just the tank but the seller told me the exact overflow box to get.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gasket came and I filled up the tank again. Around 2 hours running wet no leaks so far...Fingers crossed.

Hey... this is awesome news! Sounds like we can rule out the hole.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back