Established Royal Gramma Strange Behaviour?

CalB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

About 6 months ago I purchased a Royal Gramma and quarantined him for about 8 weeks (treated him for ich and dosed prazi) before adding him to my display. My display tank is a 30 gallon reef which has been established for 2 years. He had been doing very well for the past several months, was always out and about and ate any food I put in to the tank. However, about six weeks ago I was away on vacation for a week and when I returned his behaviour completely changed. He has since been extremely reclusive and hides all day under one of my acan colonies and doesn't really come out to eat. He will just poke his head out of his hole when food is in the tank but he won't join the other fish. Now all he will eat is live blackworms if use a baster and target them right in his hole.

The gramma still looks in good health - his fins and eyes a clear, no visible signs of any disease and colour is still vibrant but I'm worried about him starving. What do you think may have caused this shift in behaviour and do you think it might be worthwhile to move him back to quarantine to fatten him up?

Other tank inhabitants are: Striped Fang Blenny, Green Chromis and Pink Skunk Clownfish. None of these fish appear to be particularly aggressive and have all been in the tank well over a year. The clownfish can get a little aggressive if anyone swims near her hammer coral. PH 8.4, specific gravity 1.025, nitrates <10, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Alkalinity 8.2.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

welcome (3).png

I can't tell you what is going on with your fish, but I'll offer this advise; don't go overboard with your reaction. If you have to spot feed it, so be it. In time it will probably settle back into more 'normal' behavior. My RG has always been a bit reclusive.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behavior is similar to the RG I have. It is not stressed in any way. This RG is large and been in the tank about three years.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back