ESV 2-part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys received my order today, part of the purchase was some ESV 2part, the 1 gallon size. Two questions as I always bought the smaller bottles in the past.

1)This has you mixing RO water to the top side of a label for the Alk, and the bottom side for Ca. Are there still equal balanced dosed? If so it seems odd that you end up with different amounts of each when the 1g size. (both were bottled on the same date so i dont think it is from different line runs)

2)the Alk currently is a solid brick frozen on the bottom half, it stated not to store below 60, will this cause any issue once thawed?

Thanks

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of your labels are upside down. All the 1 gallon jugs I've filled have the arrow at the bottom of the label.

As for the solid chunk in the alk solution, fill with rodi water, shake well and place in a bucket or sink with warm water, it will take some time but it will dissolve again.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of your labels are upside down. All the 1 gallon jugs I've filled have the arrow at the bottom of the label.

As for the solid chunk in the alk solution, fill with rodi water, shake well and place in a bucket or sink with warm water, it will take some time but it will dissolve again.

They seem right side up one doesnt even have an arrow. I could be missing the obvious though

photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, everytime I buy it the label is as follows.
6dceec83fb61868bdde4e0670605f021.jpg

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you have going on is two different labels that are supposed to be placed in different spots. The one with the arrow should be on the front top and the other one you fill to the top of the label.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just filled mine last night. If your alk is a brick, mine was, fill a pot with hot water and put the jug in a gallon ziplock bag then put it in the pot of water.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but on the blue instructions it says to fill to the upside down arrow at the bottom of the label
Then follow the directions... this is probably because the Alk and CA are not exactly balanced in the concentrated form. That'w why you also hear of people having to use a lot more CA than Alk when dosing up numbers.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost as if the sticker on your calcium bottle was the sticker they used when the label is placed on top as shown above. I just received the same set but did not read the stickers and just tossed them. I just filled to top of both stickers. As said above to where the top of the jug handle connects to the jug. I've received a set in the past with the stickers on top of the jugs as well. Filling the calcium jug to where the sticker is now would not give you a full gallon.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a mess up on ESVs part. They used an older label that has the wrong directions. They need to be diluted the same amount.
Then follow the directions... this is probably because the Alk and CA are not exactly balanced in the concentrated form. That'w why you also hear of people having to use a lot more CA than Alk when dosing up numbers.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would make sense, but my confusion is in I thought they were balanced.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would make sense, but my confusion is in I thought they were balanced.
They're supposed to be. I mixed mine to the same level (top of the sticker) and never gave it a second thought. Honestly didn't even pay attention to the sticker on the CA jug...

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any official word on if you no longer really get a gallon of solution buying the gallon size? Does BRS read all these threads or would i be better to just email customer support an ask.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@speedstar and others, I'm working on getting an answer to this for certain from ESV, but I would have to guess that, like others above have said, someone messed up and put the label in the wrong spot. The label you have on the side on the calcium jug looks like the one they usually use on the top, which would then put the fill line about the same place as the alk. They should be diluted to make up the same amount of solution. I'm not aware off them making any changes to the dosing being proportional.

The other part of your question others have answered. Because of how concentrated the alk is, if it gets cold, such as during shipping, the alk can crystallize and form a solid (temporarily). You can add the RO/DI, and then put the whole thing in a sink or bucket of the hottest water you can, and occasionally shake it up to mix. This will eventually dissolve the solids back into solution and you can use as normally without any concern.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back