Euphyllia and others dying, one by one

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have had my RSR 900 (240g) for almost 2 years. I have had coral for about 1.5 years. I have added fish as I have gone along, but I wouldn't say anything outside the norm.
No matter what I do, I always seem to be stuck at 0ppm Nitrates and close to or around .1ppm Phosphate. I've tried increasing feeding, liquid nitrate droppers, etc. I wouldn't be concerned, but the left side of my tank - all of the corals are doing very bad. I have a mix of LPS and soft.

On left side, I've lost - a large Euphyllia colony. A lobo. Several acans. Even my GSP has closed up at points, although it continues to survive. My mushroom is the only surviving, healthy coral on that side.
On the right side, in general my corals are doing well - a frogspawn, several mushrooms, leather coral, and a few plates.

To my knowledge, nothing has broken or significantly changed.
My parameters are:
8.01 dKH (Apex)
462 Ca (Apex)
1235 Mg (Apex) - I realize this is a little low, but I've been trying to dose it, and it basically hovers around this. I've tried SeaChem Mg and Aragonite C.
.1 Phos (Hanna)
0.0 Nitrate (Hanna). Occasionally, I can get it to 1.1 if I put a lot of "effort" into it
1.025/6 salinity
78-79 temp constant
8.2 pH

I've gone through cycles of hair algae, cyano, etc. I really would appreciate any help - I don't understand it!
My urchins and two shrimp have been doing fine. I did recently lose 1 of my new Anthias, but otherwise the stocking has been good: Foxface, Blue Tang, 2x PJ Cardinal, 2x Clownfish, Tomini Tang, 2x Anthias, 2x Urchin, 1 Fire Shrimp, 1 Skunk Cleaner.

I can attach pictures but it's sort of difficulty - basically one head at a time dies from my torch, euphyllia, lobo until they're gone. Right side seems significantly less affected. Problem has been going on for about 3 months.

Today I moved my powerheads (MP40) which are both on left side (and always have been). They were moved about 2-3 months ago, but that was because I started noticing this problem to begin with.

Thank you so much for any advice!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish. Way more fish... You've got 8 fish in your 192-gallon display plus your cleaning crew. I have 32 fish in my 160-gallon display (Reefer 750XXL) plus a massive cleaning crew. My nitrates are between 2-5ppm and phosphates are between 0.02-0.03ppm. If one coral is sick or dying it could also be spreading to the others (BJD). I've used Polyp Lab Reef Primer with some success treating BJD.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients to low, raise the no3

OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish. Way more fish... You've got 8 fish in your 192-gallon display plus your cleaning crew. I have 32 fish in my 160-gallon display (Reefer 750XXL) plus a massive cleaning crew. My nitrates are between 2-5ppm and phosphates are between 0.02-0.03ppm. If one coral is sick or dying it could also be spreading to the others (BJD). I've used Polyp Lab Reef Primer with some success treating BJD.
I’d definitely be on board with adding more but it takes months with qt. Appreciate the advice and it could be BJD I’m not sure. Other than adding more would bigger feeding help? It seemed to have gotten me mixed results.

Thanks again!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely be on board with adding more but it takes months with qt. Appreciate the advice and it could be BJD I’m not sure. Other than adding more would bigger feeding help? It seemed to have gotten me mixed results.

Thanks again!
Happy fish = happy corals. What are you all supplementing your corals with? I'm giving mine:

• Red Sea ReefEnergy AB+ ... daily
• Nyos Absolute Aminos ... daily
• Nyos Coral Nectar ... 2x/week
• Reef Roids/Nyos Instant Plankton ... 2x/week

I also supplement with Nyos LPS power as needed, plus they get all the scraps of mysis, brine and calanus when I feed my fish (and the odd Nyos pellet that isn't picked off by my pigs). PAR for most of my corals is in the 75-150 range, with a few SPS probably getting slightly higher (I maybe have a half dozen SPS; most are soft/LPS).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back