Euphyllia dying streak

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad can help with answering euphyllia suddenly taking turns for the worst.

Have you check for stray voltage/current with a multimeter? I remember reading a thread a while back about someone mentioning LPS being susceptible to it. I would get on that ICP test asap!

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the dragon soul as of last night. I just moved it to a lower flow area

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305_152703.png
    Screenshot_20210305_152703.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really frustrating and it makes me want to quit the hobby :(

I hear you and feel for you. This--frustration and unknown--is part of the hobby. Try not let it get you too bad. Even if you lose some corals, you'll figure it out and overcome for the next time. Maybe someone local on reef2reef has some of these frags to help get you going again once the tank is sorted.

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad can help with answering euphyllia suddenly taking turns for the worst.

Have you check for stray voltage/current with a multimeter? I remember reading a thread a while back about someone mentioning LPS being susceptible to it. I would get on that ICP test asap!
I havent check for that. But as far as i know, all of my other lps are doing okay, scolies, blasto, candy cane, etc. Just the euphyllia thats dying. And my tank filled with big colonies ive had for years. And i just ordered the icp test

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a large water change. Match salinity and alkanity and temp well.... Consider place in hospital tank?
I've been doing 1 large water change and multiple small ones. And they just keep dying one after the other. As soon as this one melted, the other start to close up instantly.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brain is still leaning toward a pest. I would watch closely when lights are out if you haven't already. I haven't dealt with infections but thats the other thought. Brown jelly can spread like that but I don't think it would target just Euphyllia... Hopefully the squad shows up soon.

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with no visible pests or irritants, one after another until they were all gone. All the euphyllia were fat healthy and splitting, then one acted up followed by the rest some even bailed outta the skeleton. Dipping in my experience only speed the death process sadly. my guess is the water has bacteria in it, I never figured it out so now I’m afraid to add more euphyllia. I would suggest placing the corals in a different tank if possible with some new water to see what happens. good luck I know the feeling but with death sometimes there’s new life
I kept a few of the skeletons and now have baby heads growing well And getting big.

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brain is still leaning toward a pest. I would watch closely when lights are out if you haven't already. I haven't dealt with infections but thats the other thought. Brown jelly can spread like that but I don't think it would target just Euphyllia... Hopefully the squad shows up soon.
I appreciate the help. At this point im just desperate. And the last time i dip every euphyllia, i dont see any flatworms. Even if they have worms, would they kill them a long time ago? Instead of waiting until now? Most of them ive had for at least a year now. A few even 4 years

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a 50/50 mix of peroxide and tank water. Swish it for about 30 seconds. The way its spreading tells me this is an infection. I will usually follow my peroxide dips with antibiotics a day later. Antibiotics are a poor solution for active infections in coral but good as secondary means to keep corals from getting re infected. Peroxide and even a FWD can be quite effective

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a 50/50 mix of peroxide and tank water. Swish it for about 30 seconds. The way its spreading tells me this is an infection. I will usually follow my peroxide dips with antibiotics a day later. Antibiotics are a poor solution for active infections in coral but good as secondary means to keep corals from getting re infected. Peroxide and even a FWD can be quite effective
So you dip the coral in the 50/50 mix for 30 seconds - correct?
Is the antibiotics a dip too, or are you adding the antibiotics to the tank?

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of antibiotics are you using to dip?
I use chloramphenicol. I would honestly do a peroxide dip on all of your euphillia. Antibiotics work good they are just slow and if they are infected these antibiotics will not kill the infection and stop it progression like peroxide would. Second, one thing I've learned is that usually there is an initial cause to the infection. Usually brown jelly doesn't just start and take over out of nowhere there is usually trama to a coral that allows the infection to settle in or chemistry issues that weaken the coral, allowing the infection to settle. I believe that BJD an other bacteria is always present in alot of our aquariums. Another think is I've seen a direct correlation to carbon dosing. If you are currently carbon dosing like NOPOX I would stop and let the tank chill for awhile before starting up again. Carbon dosing literally adds fuel to the flames.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back